Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2010, 08:47   #1

Boat: Maxim 380
New Member from Lake Huron

Hello To All,

I Just wanted to properly introduce myself to the forum. I have been a member here for a year or so but somehow always procrastinated my introduction.

We are from St. Joseph Island, located in the north channel of Lake Huron. We have been bit hard by the cruising bug and we would like to teach our children (6 and 4) in fun and challenging ways.

I have greatly enjoyed reading through the information contained in the forum and it has been helpful in helping us (wife and two young boys) get towards our goal of going criusing. We just came back from our shake down cruise (Solomon's MD to Morehead NC). We plan on taking off at the end of the year for Florida and the Bahamas.

We have even purchased a few items from members here, including our lovely boat, a Maxim 380 catamaran. Many thanks to the previous owners of S/V Makai for letting her go to us and for being helpful during our shake down cruise. I couldn't have asked to have purchased from nicer people than Bil and Sharon.

We look forward to meeting more of you out there in the near future. Hopefully we will be able to contribute more to the forum as we learn more.

Many thanks to the members who provide fantastic information to the forum in various ways.

Thanks from the crew of soon to be Rodina Cat ( Rodina is slovak for Family)
mason_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:07   #2

Boat: Mason 53
Welcome, Mate. I learned to sail on Lake Huron myself. Actually went by Stl Joseph Island back in the '90's on a trip up into Lake Superior. All the best with getting on with the "dream". Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 18:56   #3

Boat: Maxim 380
Thanks,

We are looking forward to it.

Did you enjoy Lake Superior? I have not spent any time on it. Swam a couple of times in it and it was COLD!

Jeff
mason_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:03   #4

Boat: Mason 53
Yes, cold, but the trip was great. We were working then and only had 3 weeks off work. Made it from Bay City up to Munising before we turned back for home. We probably could have made to Marquette, but didn't want to press our good fortunes. Still want to sail to Isle Royale someday. Not looking foward to all the mosquitos, believe it or not, down here in N.Z., we have never used any screens. You can sit in the cockpit, enjoying an adult beverage well into the evening and not get bitten. Walked into town this week in shorts and a T-shirt, so the winters down here are just right!! Cheers
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:25   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,