Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 14:48   #1

New Member from Ohio

Hi all -

After Google-ing lots of sailing questions and getting referred to this site for many of the answers, I decided to join up. It seems a treasure trove of information.

I'm recently retired, my wife is still working for the time being (love her), and we live in Columbus, Ohio. We plan to sell the condo and move onto a boat this spring or summer, real-estate gods willing.

We'll be looking for a half dozen year old Gemini 105Mc catamaran on the US east coast, and a marina that allows live-aboard at least for the first few months. Get used to the boat, get some real sailing experience under our belts, then go cruising. Start with the Caribbean and US east coast and see where it goes from there.

Anyway, that's the plan as I sit watching the snow build up on the garage roof. I know it won't happen exactly like that, and that's no matter. We've been seriously talking about living aboard for years. I've wanted to live on a catamaran since I was in the Coast Guard in New York, NOAA in Miami, and a couple of tug boats in the Gulf back in my 20s. Over the last several years we've chartered catamarans in the BVI, Greece, Punta Gorda (on a Gemini), and the Vancouver area, but we haven't done much day-to-day sailing and have never owned a boat.

This moving aboard is a scary proposition. We can't afford to keep the condo and buy a boat, and we don't want to pay to keep a ton of stuff in storage, so we'll be selling most everything and making a break of it. Any heartening stories from those that have made a go of living aboard would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you all,
Mike Garrett
mhgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 14:54   #2

Welcome aboard, Mike. I'm a confirmed monohuller myself, I mean, who would to stand up straight to see what's in the refrigerator or be able to use real glass glasses on a boat? But you will find lots of others who share your views here.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42   #3

Nice to meet you, Hannah. Are you still in the Chesapeake? I was over there this past summer for a few days just scouting marinas (and eating oysters). The marina situation was a bit disheartening; they all want an annual lease and I plan to be south during the winters. Also, the slips are narrow - a Gemini is 34' with a 14' beam, narrow for a catamaran, but I'd need a 45-50' slip to get the width. Big $$$, for my budget at least.

Mike
mhgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Mike.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:45   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your Coast Guard service. Another confirmed monohuller here but catamarans do offer many fine liveaboard qualities, especially the not tipping much quality.
kind regards,

Tags
ohio