Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 08:43   #1

Location: Currently live in the North Georgia mountains but have a home on Westport Island, ME, about an hour north of Portland.
Boat: Mainship 34 Hardtop- "Grace"
New member greeting!

Glad to be aboard! I am a semi-retired physician who has been sailing for 35 years, living aboard and cruising on a Shannon 38 ketch for five years. I am making the difficulty transition to motor cruising but very excited about learning new skills. My wife and I have a home on Westport Island, ME about an hour north of Portland where we plan to cruise the Maine coast in our Mainship 34 Hardtop during the summer. I am experienced in the medical aspects of diving, wilderness activities and cruising and would be pleased to share my knowledge.

My Mainship, Grace, is in a yard on the southeast shore of the Chesapeake being outfitted with new electronics, etc. I am looking at the option of taking her to Maine on her bottom versus on a truck. My time is somewhat limited and with the price of fuel the costs are comparable. Can someone give me the distance in nautical miles via the ICW from the mouth of the Chesapeake to Portland, ME? Your assistance would be much appreciated.

DocB
Burt Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 08:51   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Welcome aboard from the Emerald Isle doc! Can't help on the ICW but I'm sure lots of folk here will be jumping in on that. Enjoy the transition and kick the hell out of that semi retirement!! Enjoy!!
Old 13-05-2008, 09:35   #3

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Glad to have you aboard & Good luck with that power boat thing!

Sorry Doc but the Atlantic ICW starts in Norfork VA and heads south.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 09:50   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Welcome aboard, you will find this to be an informative and fun board.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 09:57   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Bert,
Trust you enjoy the site as much as we do - and find it as valuable.
Enjoy!
JOHN
Old 13-05-2008, 19:07   #6

Location: Currently live in the North Georgia mountains but have a home on Westport Island, ME, about an hour north of Portland.
Boat: Mainship 34 Hardtop- "Grace"
Thanks for the welcome, Mobetah, and you are right about the ICW. I should have been more definitive. I am looking for the shortest reasonable distance for a trawler with a draft of 3' from the southeastern most shore of the Chesapeake via the CD canal to Portland, ME.
docB
Burt Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:51   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha DocB,
Welcome aboard! I hope you find the answers. The last time I was on the Chesapeake was aboard a Navy Cruiser and I rented a motorhome to drive up to Maine. I know that it isn't much help but I wanted to extend the welcome anyway.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 14:08   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Welcome aboard!

I would recommend some of the Skipper Bob publications and perhaps the Waterway Guides for the areas you are looking to cruise. I am off the boat for the moment, but I think there is a guide from Cape May to Maine and another for the Chesapeake.

As for the shortest route? Part of the answer has to depend on the boat's range and your desire to motor offshore. NJ has an ICW that gets you from Cape May or Atlantic City(?) to Manasquan Inlet IIRC (and I probably don't) So give us some more specifics, please. Like, do you plan on being in a marina every night? Will you have the same crew for the entire trip? Any spots that you want to definitely see/avoid, etc.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote