Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2012, 10:21   #16

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
Re: New Member Looking at Living Aboard

Oh, that is for sure! If I had a job that didn't tie me to a specific locale I'd probably be a perpetual cruiser. But also I very much want something of my own--even if it's just 28'--that sense of ownership and autonomy is very important to me now. If I can reduce my overhead a smidge to boot, then I also get the satisfaction of making the naysayers bite their tongues!
Old 25-08-2012, 10:32   #17

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

you are either a boater or you are not. if you are you relish living aboard, if you are not, you will find all the negatives to naysay.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 18:40   #18

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome and supportive words. Survey is Wednesday! Fingers crossed it goes well and we're aboard come month-end.

July 27, 2012, not quite two months ago, was the first time I mentioned this plan to anyone... While I have looked into living aboard before, this foray had been percolating only perhaps a week before I mentioned the notion on a long run--ironically, right past where this boat is currently docked. Perhaps she was calling out to me...

I won't be cruising the world any time soon, but that was never my immediate goal (and the Caribbean is likely plenty cruising grounds for me if I do get underway). The goal is to own my own home on the water and not be dock-bound. I threw myself into research, learned to trust the advice that "boats do grow on trees," and learned to trust myself in this decision.
Old 25-09-2012, 04:15   #19

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

congrats and enjoy
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 07:10   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

RR, good luck on your survey!

Gulfstar 37? Sailboat? Thought you were committed to power

Which marina did you choose?

Following up our conversation in the other thread, I heard back from the Harbormaster: no, the pump-out boat will not operate all winter this year, but they're shooting for a "at least once every two weeks" schedule starting the following year (i.e., 2013).

FWIW, can't do heavy lifting but I'm relatively nearby, so if you need help, drop me a note. Our dog and two cats aren't usually much help (although the First Mutt is more willing, especially if there's snacks involved), but sometimes my Admiral is available, too, although she still has that pesky day job going on

-Chris
Old 29-09-2012, 05:55   #21

Chris: Thanks and thanks for the info on the pump out boat; good to know. I went with a small marina in Eastport so I'll be walking distance to everything. They don't have pump out right now, but will install a station down the line. It's a small number of liveaboards so although there are not a lot of facilities, there also aren't a lot of people competing for them. I think it's going to be a great spot for me.

I closed on the Gulfstar yesterday! Although I had been leaning toward power, this boat has a great layout and lots of space for a liveaboard and the cockpit can comfortably seat 6 or 8 folks, so good for entertaining. Sail also opens up the possibility of cruising to Florida and Bahamas during winter in the future; the fuel expense on a power boat would likely have been prohibitive.

And tomorrow the adventure begins...
Old 30-09-2012, 05:36   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Congratulations! I think I've heard those Gulfstars have a pretty good track record, too!

After input from the Harbormaster, I heard from somebody else (so second hand info) that they maybe have a pump-out TRUCK periodically come in to service winter boats along the bulkhead and in slips along Ego Alley. If so, then there must be pump-out trucks around somewhere, and maybe that could be a solution for some situations up there.

Good luck with the rest of your move!

-Chris
Old 30-09-2012, 18:20   #23

Boat: Columbia 41

RunningRabbit, I moved aboard three years ago and could not imagine living ashore again. It's different four sure. But IMHO it's less expensive because you don't buy nearly as much stuff since you have to ask first, "where can I put this?"
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:28   #24

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I recently downloaded a book on Kindle entitled The Essentials of Living Aboard by Mark Nicholas. I think he lives aboard in Boston and it deals with the decidion to move aboard and the benefits, and drawbacks, of the liveaboard life. It must be said that he is a liveaboard, not a sailor.

Having lived aboard on and off for many years I can say my times aboard are more rewarding. But, I'm not a huge fan of living in a marina. Swinging off the hook is far more enjoyable and rewarding and has no 'trailer park' feel.

It's something you will either love or hate. There is no middle ground, no ambivalence. There will be some pressure but it will be from a different much more basic source.

It's a great way to live and wherever you sail, you're at home.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags