Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 09:17   #1

New Member to Site

New to the site and just thought I'd introduce myself!
I'm a 60 year old self employed nurse consultant and travel extensively with my career. The sailing bug bit me about 7 years ago when I had a "significant other" who was a very experienced sailor. Up until then I hadn't even been on a sailboat! We sailed off the North Carolina coast every weekend and took an annual trip from NC up into the Chesapeake bay on his 30ft. cruiser. We planned on buying a bigger boat when he retired to liveaboard, and had our future all planned out. Our relationship ended before that ever happened, and of course it changed everything.
I've spent the last several years involved in my work, and have finally come to a profound conclusion. My sadness over the end of our relationship wasn't about him, but about our dream and the sailing. So I'm working toward having my own boat, becoming a liveaboard, and living my own dream. Very few people, let alone men, can even grasp what I'm talking about. They talk about their houses, gardening, some even talk about sailing. (Usually it involves having a little sailboat to take out onto a lake!?!?) Needless to say, I don't date much! LOL
Great to have a site with folks to share information and experiences!
Maddie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 10:03   #2

Welcome Maddie
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 10:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Wow...great intro Maddie...welcome to the forum.
Seems like a good time to buy a boat...good luck with that.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 12:46   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Maddie. We're glad you've joined the group.

As you will quickly learn, this is a very friendly community of like-minded individualists ("individualists" used intentionally.) This can be a great place to learn, just by using the Google search function to explore the site. Chances are good that any question that might occur has been previously posted in some form or other, and a myriad of answers are already there for the reading.

The membership of Cruisers Forum may not have all of the answers, but the supply of opinions is endless. One of the fun aspects of participating here is figuring out who is full of wisdom and who is full of . . . well, you get the picture.

When you have a moment, please read over the Cruisers Forum Rules and the Social Knowledge Terms of Service Agreement that we've all agree to abide by (but which few actually read, unfortunately). Think of this Forum as a mixer at a low-key yacht club - lots of friendly folks about, comparing experiences and beliefs. But only beliefs about sailing and power-boating, cruising and best boating practices - politics and religion, guns and other such controversial subjects are to be left at the door.

Our prime directive here is that we take the "Be Nice" Rule very seriously.

Again, welcome to Cruisers Forum, Maddie. We're glad you're here.

TaoJones
Old 27-09-2009, 13:51   #5

Boat: 1981 Prairie 36 and 1979 S2 27.5
Maddie,
I got bit by the bug to cruise when I was in my early 20's. Somehow I avoided it for a long time. But, at 55, I want to begin my life anew, fullfilling dreams and desires I have long postponed. As a teacher, I am land bound for 10 months,( though I will be living aboard) but during the warm(okay hot) days of summer, I plan to follow my cruising dreams. May we meet on our journeys from the Bay to Coastal NC and back
Old 27-09-2009, 14:58   #6

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
Welcome to the forum. I've found this to be a great place to ask a question, even a dumb one and get a quick and great response.

Glen
04 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 15:22   #7

Boat: 33ft sloop
Quite right.At 60 your live is just for a start. Tough women survive. So will you. Welcome in the crowd......
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
You've caught the bug. There is no cure but thankfully its not life threatening.
Good to have you here on the forum and posting.
regards,
Old 06-10-2009, 11:35   #9

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Hi Maddie. Youve found a good place to come for advice and leg pulling. Welcome.