Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2023, 12:09   #1

New member w/ ambitious single-handed, blue-water plans, seeking his first sailboat

Hello sailing enthusiasts!

I'm Marco, a 40 yo from Italy. I took on sailing four years ago starting from dinghies all the way up to larger sailboats. Pretty much all my sailing experience comes from sailing courses in the Mediterranean sea, although I signed up for my first Pacific Ocean experience next January, when I'll go to Hawaii for a seven-day, blue-water induction.

I came to the realization that the time is ripe for some experience alone, away from the watchful eyes of instructors, but most importantly I would like to have my own sailboat to shorten my learning curve and to start single-hand (for me the sense of satisfaction would be totally different when sailing alone).

So, for the purpose I am currently selecting a long-keel, blue-water sailboat between 32 and 36 feet (I picked the list of boats eligible for the GGR as a guide).

After few months into my research, I fell in love with these three designs:
- Cape George 36 (beautiful but very expensive, super heavy and with lots of teak around);
- Hans Christian 33/34 (Bob Perry design, very classic look and also quite expensive)
- OE 32 (Olle Enderlein design, smaller, lighter, cheaper but still with good LWL and good ocean pedigree).

Being this my first sailboat, I like the idea of something smaller (32-34 ft) so that I will deal with slightly smaller sails and "lighter" weights.

So, here's my introduction, and if anyone has anything to suggest, please do so. I'll be here super receptive!

Meanwhile, I'll start browsing around this new-to-me forum and acquiring some good pieces of information.

See you around!
Marco
Marcoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 12:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New member w/ ambitious single-handed, blue-water plans, seeking his first sailbo

Nicholson 31 & 32.. 35..
Rustler 36..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 13:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: New member w/ ambitious single-handed, blue-water plans, seeking his first sailbo

Since you're in Italy and the numbers of those boats won't huge in Europe, why not choose something in the 32-34ft range to learn on closer to home.

Something like this will be fast and fun to learn on:

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/2506288/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 14:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: New member w/ ambitious single-handed, blue-water plans, seeking his first sailbo

A YouTube couple (Sailing Magic Carpet) is rebuilding a Cape George. Based on what they have found, unless it was an impeccable specimen (well maintained) you would likely have a lot of unexpected work ahead.

I agree with an earlier post, go for a nice production boat of which there should be plenty in Europe. Beneteau, Jenneau, Hanse, Dufour, Bavaria. There as a Dufour in the 35-38' range that was really appealing to me 15 years ago. It sailed really well and had awesome storage. I have no idea how they hold up though.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 16:39   #5

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoppe View Post

I'm Marco, a 40 yo from Italy. I took on sailing four years ago starting from dinghies all the way up to larger sailboats. Pretty much all my sailing experience comes from sailing courses in the Mediterranean sea, although I signed up for my first Pacific Ocean experience next January, when I'll go to Hawaii for a seven-day, blue-water induction.

I came to the realization that the time is ripe for some experience alone, away from the watchful eyes of instructors, but most importantly I would like to have my own sailboat to shorten my learning curve and to start single-hand (for me the sense of satisfaction would be totally different when sailing alone).

So, for the purpose I am currently selecting a long-keel, blue-water sailboat between 32 and 36 feet (I picked the list of boats eligible for the GGR as a guide).

- Cape George 36 (beautiful but very expensive, super heavy and with lots of teak around);
- Hans Christian 33/34 (Bob Perry design, very classic look and also quite expensive)
- OE 32 (Olle Enderlein design, smaller, lighter, cheaper but still with good LWL and good ocean pedigree).

Being this my first sailboat, I like the idea of something smaller (32-34 ft) so that I will deal with slightly smaller sails and "lighter" weights.

So, here's my introduction, and if anyone has anything to suggest, please do so. I'll be here super receptive!

Meanwhile, I'll start browsing around this new-to-me forum and acquiring some good pieces of information.

See you around!
Marco

I refit my boat in Port Townsend Washington where they build the Cape George's, everyone I saw they seemed to be good solid boats, they build the hulls though as hell, although they do have plywood decks, so may be prone to some rot, you will want to check this before buying.

All of the examples I have seen of them looked to be fine boats.

If you want another solid option if you can find one, the Spencer 35's are also a fine robust open ocean boat, Hal Roth had one and had all kinds of crazy adventures on her.

What I would also recommend that you get on as many boats as you can to see that the size of the boat works for you. Some people fit on certain size boats, others do not.

You definitely want to make sure you can comfortably get to the engine to work on it.

Having your own boat is amazing, if you get the right boat and you can regularly get out to use it. For some people they get the wrong boat and hate the experience.

I've been living aboard for 7 years now and my only regret is not doing it sooner.
Old 16-07-2023, 17:01   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

European boats:
Contessa 32
Amel Kirk 36
Gin Fizz 37
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 19:39   #7

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Are you mechanically inclined?
A problem solver with limited resources?
Pick a boat you are capable of fixing, and carry spares and tools
Nigel Calder is your friend. [emoji41]
I am a single handed offshore sailor I’m currently in Papeete. You break stuff and fix stuff. It’s a rather large part of offshore sailing…
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 21:58   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:

I'm Marco, a 40 yo from Italy. ... I fell in love with these three designs:
See you around!
Marco
I may be missing something but Marco suggest you clarify where you will be buying your yacht. If in the EU then there will be very few Cape George or Hans Chistians for sale.
I'd gather myself a list of readily available European boats.
Old 17-07-2023, 13:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Since you're in Italy and the numbers of those boats won't huge in Europe, why not choose something in the 32-34ft range to learn on closer to home.

Something like this will be fast and fun to learn on:

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/2506288/
You are right. It seems like ALL the sailboats I'm interested in are either in the US or in the UK. After Brexit, UK sailboats suddenly got 22% more expensive because of the import sales tax into EU.

However, it seems like sailboats close to home are mostly lighter and fin-keeled, more suitable to the Med sea, with low comfort ratio and a capsize screen formula coefficient that is often higher than 2, placing them out of the blue-water category. I know this is theory you might say, but there must be some truth in these numbers.
Old 17-07-2023, 13:56   #10

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:

See you around!
Marco
welcome to the group
Srpulpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 15:57   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

welcome to the Forum. Being in the EU, you might want to look at an older Hallberg Rassy
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 18:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New member w/ ambitious single-handed, blue-water plans, seeking his first sailbo

You can find UK built long keelers in the EU, check out Scanboats, I've seen Contessa 32's, Rivals and Rustlers to name a few on there scattered around Denmark, Germany and Holland.. no VAT worries there.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 14:49   #13

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Check sea of Cortez, San Carlos for used boats.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:44   #14

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

What is your budget? Might be willing to part with my Shannon 28. Located in Med Spain. VAT paid. Offshore equipped. PM me if interested.
Just in case you don't know the boat.
https://sailboat.guide/shannon/28
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 14:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
What is your budget? Might be willing to part with my Shannon 28. Located in Med Spain. VAT paid. Offshore equipped. PM me if interested.
Just in case you don't know the boat.
https://sailboat.guide/shannon/28
Thanks Greg. My budget is around 50K Eur. You have a nice boat; however, I am looking for something between 32 and 36 feet.

Tags
boat, member, new member, sail, sailboat, single, water