Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2008, 16:26   #1

I have a Capri 22. I am trying to move up, just slightly, to a Kelly Peterson 44. Does anyone have any experieince/comments about this boat?
drummark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 20:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi drummark and welcome to cruisers forum. I noticed this post in the "what's your boat" thread and decided to copy it over he so we could welcome you aboard properly.

I don't have any specific comments about the KP 44 but I think we have a few member/owners here.

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 22:38   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Own one great boat. Built gods know where. I mean the quality varies different yards. Water tanks are burried under the floors. these are not comimg out unless you do some demo. Maybe this has been done already and you won't have to sweat it if not the odds are good some repair will be needed. same old Perkins how many hours how much oil in the bilge. Maybe a repower. Steel fuel tanks have they been replaced. Rigging and chainplates like any boat you need to look at this. Did I tell you I love mine. I repowered replaced a fuel tank tore out the wiring have a leaky water tank, Replaced the cockpit sole yadhah dah... Sometimes I worry I will run out of things to do and other times I know I will be gone before I get the chance. Its a boat an older boat if you like working on these things and enjoy sailing great. I sail mine hard and work on it hard enjoy both and so I love the boat. Great sailing machine performs very well for 30,000 lbs. Great bow entry balances really well if you reef early. Cutter rig is great for options not so good for tucking the genny through in soft winds. Lay out I love it misses hates ducking between the aft cabin an salon. I single hand and sail with the family of 5 and the space is good for this. Not to big for me to handle, Love this boat yeah I said that but make sure its really what you want. Great design great sailor but if there has not been some overhaul through the years you can count on an overhaul being needed. With any boat make sure you understand the level of work and expense the venture will take. Multiply by 3 calculate a (while I am at it factor) and understand that you are looking at a divestment not an investment finnacially. Best divestment I have ever made. first sail on mine after months of work I said wow. I sail her tomorrow and say wow. She suits me maybe not others she is mine for now and she looks good to me. Maybe that helps. I also think my f-27 is the best boat ever built and sail her and say wow. Minus the family the f-27 wins hands down my favorite. good luck to ya
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 22:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
With any boat make sure you understand the level of work and expense the venture will take.

Multiply by 3 calculate a (while I am at it factor) and understand that you are looking at a divestment not an investment finnacially.
I love that line - A boat is a divestment.

I think I'll steal it and tell people I said it first
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Drummark,
Welcome aboard! I toured a KP 44 just two months ago. The owner cruised it throughout the South Pacific and was just reinstalling a newer Yanmar so I helped him just a little with dropping the engine through the cockpit.
The boat seems very well constructed and is just plain huge down below. It has the typical center cockpit layout with lots of room in the aft stateroom but of course you have to duck to go from fore to aft.
Now, to my point of view the boat is too big for my taste unless you are full time cruising with a family of 4 and I don't care for center cockpits. I prefer something between 32-36 LOD. Here's what I like: fiberglass uncored construction, diesel engine, cutter rig, aft cockpit. Fin or full keel is debatable.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capri