Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 08:38   #1

Boat: Fingal 27'
New Member with more questions than answers

So, I finally joined the CF after many a night of eye burning readings. I've joined primarily to find more information about my recent finding; The Fingal 27. Not a lot online that isn't in another language. I can translate with google but it only gets me so far, you know? I've fallen hard for this one. She's simple, but that's how I like it, less to go wrong.

All for now.
-:Baker
Justinbaker1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 13:28   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New Member with more questions than answers

Welcome aboard, Justin,

She looks a lovely, competent boat, but I have no personal experience of them. Maybe someone else here will come along, with an informed opinion.

There are some members here who are not enthusiastic about boats under 30 ft., but although our boat is quite large, I know too many people who have made good passages and even circumnavigations, starting at about 22 ft. to knock them back for being too small. [An example of this prejudice is shown by a poster who commented, "you must be mad!" when we wrote of racing the M.O.R.A. boats (30' and under) in the ocean off San Francisco. In fact, Jim and my first offshore passage was San Francisco to Hawaii and return, in his Yankee 30.]

Anyhow, if you actually own the Fingal, as opposed to being smitten, but not committed, I wish you many years of delight with her.

Ann
Ann
Old 20-02-2016, 04:27   #3

Great Advice to Another "Newbie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard, Justin,

She looks a lovely, competent boat, but I have no personal experience of them. Maybe someone else here will come along, with an informed opinion.

There are some members here who are not enthusiastic about boats under 30 ft., but although our boat is quite large, I know too many people who have made good passages and even circumnavigations, starting at about 22 ft. to knock them back for being too small. [An example of this prejudice is shown by a poster who commented, "you must be mad!" when we wrote of racing the M.O.R.A. boats (30' and under) in the ocean off San Francisco. In fact, Jim and my first offshore passage was San Francisco to Hawaii and return, in his Yankee 30.]

Anyhow, if you actually own the Fingal, as opposed to being smitten, but not committed, I wish you many years of delight with her.

Ann
Ann
Folks we recently met crossed the China Sea a couple of months ago in a 25 foot Yamaha with no problems whatsoever. Seems like the real issue is not the size of the boat, but picking one's wind, weather and tide window for any serious crossing. That, and making sure the size of your boat can handle the supplies needed for any crossing that you may intend to make.

Always great to know you're out there, helping whenever needed.

Best regards,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 04:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Advice to Another "Newbie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Folks we recently met crossed the China Sea a couple of months ago in a 25 foot Yamaha with no problems whatsoever. Seems like the real issue is not the size of the boat, but picking one's wind, weather and tide window for any serious crossing. That, and making sure the size of your boat can handle the supplies needed for any crossing that you may intend to make.

Always great to know you're out there, helping whenever needed.

Best regards,

G2L
A man endowed with Common Sense'..
Well done..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 04:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New Member with more questions than answers

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member