Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2007, 11:34   #1

Boat: '99 Hunter 240 "Anitabreak II"
Post New Memeber-NY

Hello Everyone,
New member, just joined. Started sailing a Sunfish 5 years ago; joined a sailing club this summer, got footitis and purchased a '99 Hunter 240 in August. Had some fun AND some not so fun outings on Seneca Lake. Here would be the place to insert that the not so fun outings were a direct result on my inexperience....but hey I learned what NOT to do!!
My Hunter is a water ballast boat, B&R rig. She's very roomy, nice looking....but I do have a few issues that only sailing her more and getting used to will resolve.
Any other Hunter owners out there??
Anita
Anitabreak II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:52   #2

Hello

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this Forum and somewhat new to sailing. I started 5 years ago in a Sunfish.
This summer I joined a sailing club, and purchased a '99 Hunter 240 water ballast B&R rig. I've only had the boat about 9 weeks and was able to sail her 5-6 times. Some outings better than others, but I'm just getting to know her.
I am off to Tasmania to visit for the month of Feb. and am looking forward to some sailing while there. My friend there is an active sailor, and involved with Kingston Beach Saiing Club.
As for docking...well I have a story or two, but would rather not relive "the drama on the stormy billows" just yet....still too fresh...LOL!
At the moment the "Anitabreak II" is tucked in for the winter. I'm still scripting the "to-do" list for spring.....and sometimes why I purchased such a big boat
Anita
Old 18-11-2007, 10:18   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hi Anita

For everyones info I have moved these posts together from other threads.

Welcome aboard Anita. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum!

You'll find your share of Hunter owners aboard.........................._/)
Old 18-11-2007, 13:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
At the moment the "Anitabreak II" is tucked in for the winter. I'm still scripting the "to-do" list for spring.....and sometimes why I purchased such a big boat
I would say you are learning quite well. Don't worry they only get bigger when you look at them on land. In the water they look a whole lot smaller.

As for docking it's a game you learn. Go slow and aim cheap. After 50 or so attempts it gets pretty easy. Then you'll buy a bigger boat and start over.

I grew up on Onondaga Lake just a bit to the east. I didn't learn to sail untill I moved away but would like to sail Senaca some time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 00:42   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Anita,
Welcome also. I'm sure you'll take it slow to start with and wonder one way what you were worried about. The only way to really learn is to do it, make a mistake, recover and learn.......
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 20-11-2007, 04:30   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hello Anita
I also learned to sail on a Sunfish. I sailed it in Block Island Sound. This forum is a great place to get inspired and to learn.
Welcome. Sailing is a blast!!

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 02:36   #7

Hey "y'all"
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sure that the more I sail, the better I'll feel about it. Joining the yacht club was a great move, lots of sailors eager to help out a newbie. Sometimes the newness of a larger boat can be overwhelming ie repairs etc., but again more experience is the key. Seneca Lake is a wonderful place to sail....come on over and giver her a try!!
Our club is hosting the Western Hemisphere Star Regatta in May, so we'll have some big time racing!
Thanks again!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Anita
Old 22-11-2007, 17:12   #8

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitabreak II View Post
Hello Everyone,
New member, just joined. Started sailing a Sunfish 5 years ago; joined a sailing club this summer, got footitis and purchased a '99 Hunter 240 in August. Had some fun AND some not so fun outings on Seneca Lake. Here would be the place to insert that the not so fun outings were a direct result on my inexperience....but hey I learned what NOT to do!!
My Hunter is a water ballast boat, B&R rig. She's very roomy, nice looking....but I do have a few issues that only sailing her more and getting used to will resolve.
Any other Hunter owners out there??
Anita
Welcome Anita.
You just joined one of, if not the best forum in the world of sailing.

Looking forward to your posts in the future.
Hawk
Old 04-01-2008, 13:48   #9

If you can sail a sunfish, you can sail almost anything
Old 04-01-2008, 15:59   #10

Edmadison....I sure hope that's true!!
Headed to Tasmania, Australia 4 Feb. Looking forward to some sailing there!!
Old 04-01-2008, 16:11   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Anita,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here and I know we'd all like to know your experiences when you have time to post them on "Don't want your name here" thread.
Sunfish sailboats have been around for about 55 years now and still my preferred training platform. Easy to rig, easy to sail, and make you learn about boat balance very quickly on a blustery day. Our club has 14 of them and as long as we keep them maintained they really make fun boats.
My first boat was about the size of your hunter and it was great for the local waters off Waikiki and the West end of Oahu. Catalina 22 with a fixed fin keel. I learned a lot about sailing from her.
Have a great trip.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30   #12

Hello Jonn!
I could probably FILL the "Don't want you name here" thread...YIKES! Can't tell you how many times I thought "note to self.....", or "hey that's going to leave a mark"...... But like I wrote eariler, it's the best way to learn.
I didn't have much time to sail after I purchased the Hunter before it was time for haul out; and my last experience left me seriously considering selling her! I'm a little "ify" about the water ballast, but with time I think I will get more comfortable.
I also made a change where she'll be kept next season. Instead of out in the mooring field, I have rented a slip at the State park directly across the canal from my sailing club. I really didn't enjoy rowing out in the dinghy; so hopefully that will work out. I was getting pretty good at catching hold of that spear buoy though!
I'll most likely have my instructor come out a few times with me, I need some help with learning how to reef properly and sail trim, and I'd also like to try my hand at racing....although many here like to flame the Hunters ability to win races, I believe it would still be fun to try.....besides my PHRF is right up there, AND she's great in light air....AND I've crewed with all the other skippers in the club and know their habits LOL!! All factors combined might help me win a few! I'm the only woman skipper in the crusing class, but alas it won't garner my any lee-way!
As for my trip, I'm about 30 days out! I still can't believe I'm going. I've had my friend as a pen-pal for about 35 years, that's who I am going to visit. He's been here for 2 visits, and is a sailor also. I'm going alone and the flight....well not looking forward to it but should be OK. Guess I'll print out that research material I've been meaning to read and take it along!
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to "chatting" again
Anita M.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Good idea on the racing. I'm really not familiar with using water ballast but racing your own boat will definitely get you more familiar with how she handles.
Yes, definitely, you gotta know how to reef in a hurry!!
Good luck and let us know about all the trophies you garner.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote