Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 14:18   #1

New to forum and sailing

HI Everyone, Im Carolann and just thought Id say hello. Bob an I are in massachusetts we both grew up right on the ocean here and are about to sell an sail away. House is on the market, and Im more than ready to go! Growing up on the ocean Ive come to love it and all so respect it. I am a great swimmer and have lived on a motor boat, never sailed, always wanted to. So to get to the point my main fear right now is getting caught in a storm out there in a sail boat. Were planning on sailing the Virgin Ilands to begin with, spending a couple of years there an then its were ever the winds take us. Im very excited about it an hope someone can give me any advice on all or any aspects of life aboard a sail boat.
Carolann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 22:33   #2

welcome

welcome to the board...am preparing for THE cruise myself...hope ya learn lots here and enjoy your voyage. What kind of boat?
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:26   #3

The best way to not get caught in a storm is not to go out when any are forecast.

Seriously, having the time to wait for good weather and not being impatient is the best way to avoid getting hammered.

You still can get caught in it, but knowing that your boat is strong and capable can help you get through it.
Funny thing is that as you get experience, the first "storm" you were in turns out to be not nearly as bad as you thought. Each bout of bad weather builds confidence in you and your boat and eventually nasty weather is just a different mode of sailing.

Practice reefing and doing the things you'd do during a storm before you need to. Go out in spirited weather and see how your boat handles it.

And don't leave if the forecast isn't right!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:57   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sailboats vs Powerboats

Welcome aboard Carolann & Bob,

Sailboats were designed to take the heavy weather more than powerboats. Some of the advantages are the keel, the shape of the hull and watertight integrity (smaller vessels).

The keel acts as a ballast weight and will keep the boat upright in most conditions and aids in heaving-to in certain conditions.
The shape of the hulls are more contoured giving them more strength per pound of vessel and the ability of the waves to flow over rather than pound the hull.

And a sailboat, if hatches secured, will take a full roll over without doing much damage or taking on water. If a powerboat were to take a roll over there would be some major problems, even if it were to right itself (windows, fuel, oil, gear and deck hardware). Properly designed sailboats with a wise crew should be able to survive most any weather condition.

A powerboat would have to be of the larger size, lets say over 50-60, with watertight compartments and hatches, usually made of steel to even attempt a force 8+ storms. Where a well-built 27' sailboat would do just fine with an experienced sailor.
.................................................. .............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:24   #5

Smile

Thanks for your replies all! I was lost for a while, my password wasnt happening, so I had to reregister. delmarrys comments on the keel and reading jeff Hs article under monohulls on keels has given me peace of mind. thanks! Bobs the sailor, Im learning as much as I can to be the first mate. IF all goes as planned were hoping to leave by mid november of 2004.It cant come soon enough for me, this is a long time coming dream for us. This sight has been a great help for me, as well as the books an magazines Ive been reading.IM sure youll be reading more on questions from me.THANKS AGAIN CAROLANN
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote