Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 15:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
New To Forum, High to All

Just a quick introduction to all, have finally registered, after "lurking" for a while.

My wife and I are live-aboards in Baltimore (6 yrs now), and have read "inputs/threads" from some of those we know and I have finally decided to put our toes in the water, as it where. Need to send PM's to some of you out there; but, have to register to do such.

We cruised for a short while (1 Yr) and then had to go back to the working world to regroup the cruising kitty. We also are in the process of putting our boat together for the full outfitting that she really needs for long term cruising. We have repeatedly been sending our friends off for full time cruising and are tired of not being the ones going.

Hope to be an assett to this Bulletin Board.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 11:34   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Curt,
Good luck with completing the outfit and be sure to keep us posted with progress.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 13-04-2007, 11:43   #3

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Curt,

Glad to have ya! Maybe you can make a post on the thread about what it costs to go cruising Good luck with the project and as Swagman said, keep us posted! BTW, what sort of boat are you on?

Mark
Old 13-04-2007, 11:54   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Curt,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy this forum. Lots of good information on hull refits and gear replacement.
"First 42." Is that your boat?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 12:02   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome, first42 . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by first42

Hope to be an assett to this Bulletin Board.

Curt
. . . I hope you enjoy it here! And, just by virtue of joining and posting, you are, by definition, an asset to Cruisers Forum.

TaoJones
Old 14-04-2007, 06:13   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
Thanks for the replies. To answer the type of boat we are on, we are on a 1982 Beneteau First 42. History on the boat is that she was built in France (actually all the First 42's were built there) and was originally commissioned in South Hampten (that's why our sail number is K7771) I am told she placed 2nd in division in the 1984 Isle of Wright series; but, I can't confirm that. She was originally bought to do weekend stuff and port to port races (in the Great Lakes). She is most certainly not competetive anymore, as there have been way to many modifications to make her a descent liveaboard. She is, however, a fast cruiser.

Can't really give all a good answer on the cost of "Cruising", as the time that we took was more vacation syle, than actual cruising. Plus much had to be done to the boat to make her as cruisable as she is now. Before she goes full time cruising, she has to have renewable energy (wind and solar), watermaker, safety gear (Liferaft/Epirb ect) and a new RIB. That's about all we have to do, yet. Oh yeah, we still gotta get the kitty fattened up too.

I do see one of the forum members, Hylite, posting every now and then, she is a First 42, also, I think down in Florida. Would love to find out what has been done to her.

We do love our boat!! "As is said, you gotta love what they look like when you row away from them." And I do.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 22:00   #7

Curt ...welcome on board. Looking forward to any input you may provide in the future.

Fritz
Old 23-04-2007, 06:31   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Curt,

If you want to check out actual results of your boat in its earlier life doing the Round the Island Race get in touch with Island Sailing Club - web Island Sailing Club. They the major manager of the event.

I'm sure they can track down past results.

Also the local city of registration is spelt 'Southampton'. Our land home is close by.

Hope this is useful.

JOHN