Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 14:18   #1

New to Sailing/Forum

Hello Everyone -

Let start by saying I have been in love the water since I can remember. This love was hampered by lgrowing up in Arizona, but have been living in California for years now. Up until a few months ago I satisfied my water fetish by diving as much as I can. Recently though the water is calling me and I want to learn to sail and cruise the world. I am currently 36 and hope to make this dream a reality by the time I turn 40.

To start though I do need to learn to sail. Does anyone have any recommendations on schools or course work in Southern California?

Once I have learned or am learning I will throughout all the questions about blue water boats that I have racing through my mind currently.

Thanks ahead of time to any and all advice that may come my way

Chad
CDeJarnatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
To start though I do need to learn to sail. Does anyone have any recommendations on schools or course work in Southern California?
You can check out eh ASA (American Sailing assoc>) and US Sailing Association web sites for the affiliated schools in your area. Both these organizations have accredited schools and instructors. I would say the two courses are almost Identical. Perhaps as part of that you can make contacts and try perhaps some crewing for races. getting out there is more important than how. Getting a little bit under your belt before you try to buy a boat is just good sense. They cost a lot.

If possible meet the instructor first. It's like realtors you might as well have one you like. My wife and I did a liveaboard course with San Diego Sailing Academy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 14:49   #3

Thanks for the information Paul. You seem to one of the resident Guru's in these forums.
Old 08-02-2008, 15:15   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chad,
Lots of opportunities to sail with clubs in SoCal. I was a San Diego sailor for lots of years in the 70s. There will be several other forum members who can recommend more recent places to learn coming on line soon.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 15:20   #5

I am reviewing the ASA and US Sailing websites now and there are a lot of schools in SoCal. Is it safe to assume they are good schools if I found them from these two websites or is Paul's advice still hold true to meet the instructors first?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31   #6

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hello Chad,

Also check out Orange Coast College School of Sailing and Seamanship: The School of Sailing and Seamanship - Home Page . I will be taking a marine diesel one day class there in April, but their other courses get good compliments.

Jim
Old 10-02-2008, 15:44   #7

Boat: Researching trawlers...looking at Nordhavns and Krogens
Yes, take some classes, but also check out racing a little...especially dinghies. The slightest adjustment you make on a dinghy is much more exagerated and will help you w/ sail tri, when you get on a larger boat. Depending on where in Cali you live, I'd head down to the local YC when they have their beer can races, normally someone is looking for some railmeat and is willing to take on a newbie. I will say that racing and cruising can be very different kinds of sailing, but what you will learn about sail trim will be invaluable. JMHO.

Wahoo
Old 10-02-2008, 19:48   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
What Jim recommends is a good idea. I knew an instructor from there and they are top notch. Wahoo's recommendation is good as well but formal dinghy racing training is hard to come by economically. You need to just do it.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:59   #9

Thanks for all of your insights on where to go to acquire sailing knowledge. I am looking into all the suggestions and will be sailing soon.

Jim, I wanted to say hello as it was reading the adventures Teneya and others that got me hooked on wanting to sail. I hope your wifes (forgot her name) knee surgery and recovery went well and you are both back on the boat. Although I understand Antwerp is quite nice too.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your thoughts on how to get started.

Chad
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59   #10

Chad,

Try walking the docks at your local marinas before any Wed. night races. They may not start until daylight savings time (Spring), so you will have to do some research. Usually this racing is very casual and you can learn a lot by just getting out there. Because the racing is casual, owners are more likely to take on a newbe.

Good luck
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Chad:

Good advice here. I learned the basics by reading a book and then spent years racing. Beer cans are a very good way to learn. Help clean up lines and when there is a calm moment ask people what they are doing and why. Eventually you'll learn alot at a small cost. Where is So Cal are you? If you narrow down people may be able to help you a little more. Another option is to take one of the onew week sailing classes in Mexico, the Carribean etc.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 00:04   #12

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Chad,
Thanks for the nice comments. Katie is doing great and we will be back on Tenaya in less than 2 weeks. And I do enjoy Antwerp, it's one of the nicest cities I have ever visited.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are close to San Diego I would recommend looking at Harborsailboats.com It's a club with classes and lots of boats for rent. Last winter when we were in San Diego we joined and rented boats a couple of times (once with an ex-navy ships captain for a full day instruction in using Radar). We also joined others and split the cost of boats for day sails - once sailing near the whales on their trip south. There were always people looking for others to sail with. If you are near SD I can give you some names.
Enjoy!
Jim