Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 20:45   #1

Boat: 2 canoes - 17 footers... ;-) poor man's sailboats
pirate Newbie from British Columbia

Hello all, glad to take this first step and finally connect with other like minded people. As my username suggests I have always had a love for the water and boats...especially canoes and sailboats. I have paddled all my life and as I am getting older the attraction to letting the wind move me has been getting stronger and stronger. About 15 years ago I had a small dinghy that I would sail on small lakes in Northern Ontario but other than that my sailing has been very limited. However, my desires to sail have been getting stronger and stronger...and I have become an excellent armchair sailer!....I receive all the sailing magazines, I know where every sail boat is located in our small community in the interior of British Columbia, and I have accumulated a pretty good library of sailing books. I watch Craig's list daily looking for that perfect opportunity to buy the boat that will fit my wife and my plans for the future. I am literally driving my wife crazy with something that resembles cabin fever but is sailing based. Nice to connect with you and looking forward to meeting people from the sailing community!

Canoeguy
Canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 22:02   #2

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Yeah I got the bug too. As a kid I had wooden sailboats I played with in the tidal pools at White Rock. My brothers had electric power boats.

I finally started on my dream. Took CYA beginners cruising, and bought a smaller older sailboat this summer (my birthday present to myself). Each weekend I drive 2.5 hours to get to it (small laidback community-Gibsons), didn't want moorage in Vancouver. Slowly learning more, doing minor repairs and getting to know my boat and practicing sailing close enough to the marina I can scream for help LOL.

2 years hence and I move up to my 30' boat, advanced lessons, and hopefully live aboard (semi-retire). Besides craigslist you might want to look at
BuySell Classifieds : Buy and sell new used Sail Boats in British Columbia
BC Boats Yachts and Sailboats by Passage Yacht Sales
Yacht Sales: Sailboats, Powerboats:
Welcome to Windward Yachts:
Vancouver new & used boats for sale -Kijiji

Hope links are allowed. One suggestion: don't wait forever, start somewhere, soon LOL. Its the best thing I have done in a long time. Each Sunday I come home totally relaxed (sleep over on Saturday- its only a 25' and work calls). Even in the rain and miserable weather the comfort and relaxation is wonderful. She's no ocean cruiser and not a paradigm of beauty, but she is mine and its fantastic.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 23:53   #3

Boat: Kristen 465
Welcome

Canoeguy,

What town in the interior are you in? I grew up in Castlegar (surprisingly active sailing community there) and lived many years in Kamloops. Kamloops is great but there seems to be no wind or a hurricane blowing. Great place for exciting dinghy sailing though!

Craig
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:44   #4

Boat: 2 canoes - 17 footers... ;-) poor man's sailboats
From Quesnel in the interior of BC

I live just outside Quesnel, on 10 Mile Lake, which is about an hour south of Prince George. Love the area for the outdoor activities and love being on the lake but at some point I think we will relocate to a bigger lake...say maybe the Pacific ocean! 10 Mile Lake has puufs of wind that come up but they are pretty inconsistent and come from different directions.

Hey Canuck1955, I have a really good friend who grew up in White Rock the same time as you and I know that it was quite a small community 40 years ago...wouldn't know the Woodruff family would you?

Thanks for the links...whenever I get down to Vancouver I head to the sailing/chartering companies and walk through many of their boats that are for sale...my wife says..."Keep dreamin", but she is starting to come around!
Canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:06   #5

Boat: Cascade
Good time to buy in the fall

Welcome!

There is quite a few boats down here in Vancouver.. of all shapes, sizes and prices. Another idea is to look in the Puget Sound area and on the Island. To bring something back from the states is easy and you only pay tax. If you buy something in BC you need to pay tax as well. (even used) and they come after you! Prices are good in the states when the Canadian $ high. Get a survey on whatever you want to buy.

Check out Thunderbird yacht sales as well

As Canuck55 said don't wait too long.
Get someting to start with and then move up when your comfortable. My good friend has been looking and talking about his ultimate boat to buy for 5 years!... While I have been sailing!

See ya out there!

By the way heading out to Plumper cove on the weekend. I'll look for ya Canuck 55.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:11   #6

Oh yeah.. there are boats listed in 48 North.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 07:20   #7

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Welcome!

As Canuck55 said don't wait too long.
Get someting to start with and then move up when your comfortable. My good friend has been looking and talking about his ultimate boat to buy for 5 years!... While I have been sailing!

See ya out there!

By the way heading out to Plumper cove on the weekend. I'll look for ya Canuck 55.

My brother took his lessons 30 years ago and still doesn't have a boat. My OLDER brother at that. I mentioned in an email I had one and sent pictures. Not that there is any sibling rivalry at all, but he wrote back "its not yours". He can't believe his little brother did what he is still dreaming about.

As NIKE would say, "Just Do It"
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 13:22   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Looks like you've found some Canadian shipmates already.
regards
Old 06-10-2009, 13:25   #9

Boat: riveria star 24
Send a message via Skype™ to fatrob
I just sold a riveria star 24
I would like a brent swain 36 twin keel. Covered helm cruiser for wet and cold .
Hard to find. People that have them like them and don't sell often.
fatrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 13:28   #10

There is a Cooper 31-32?? with a pilothouse for sale at reed point.

Tags
british columbia, columbia