Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 14:34   #1

Cool Newbie Here - Tonga Sailing Opportunities

Hi, This is Jared out of Las Vegas. Since my career is tied to land development and the real estate market is in the toilet, it is time for me to take a break and travel... to Tonga. I will be spending a month, from mid Feb to mid Mar, on the island of Vava'u. From what I have read, the island is suppose to be a great place for sailing, but it is the rainy season, so I'm not sure if any boats will even be on the waters.

I am fairly new to sailing and I would like to turn this into an opportunity to learn more and get my feet wet. I am looking for advise how I may hook up with someone with a sail boat to mentor me while I am there. Am I naive to think I can go down to the harbor, get to know a few people, and expect them to take me sailing? My budget doesn't include expensive training courses so I'm looking for some alternative methods. I'd appreciate some tips and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Jared
Redrock514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 02:06   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Jared,
Sorry I've no practical experience of Tongan sailing scene so can't advise on what might specifically work there - but most sailing venues will somewhere have a sailing club so you might be lucky.
If they do have one there and the race on weekends - then I'm pretty sure someone with a boat will always welcome a keen newbie on as crew. It is not as easy as some skippers think to draw and build a good race crew - and the no 1 attribute anyone can bring is a comittment to be there week in and week out. Learning to sail is easy - its not really brain surgery - and IMHO the very best way to learn from the ground up is to join a race boat and get out there handling whatever the elements throw at you.
Good luck - let us all know what you find when you get there.
JOHN
Old 28-01-2008, 02:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Tropical sailing...

Welcome to the Cruisers Forum.

Not having any real knowledge of Tonga I consulted my trusty copy of "South pacific and Micronesia" (Lonely Planet).

They suggest :-
Moorings Tonga
S/V Impetuous
Sailing Safaris
Hakalu Lodge
and Aquarium Adventures run out of the Coconut Cafe.

As supplies may be limited I would suggest bringing some waterproof sunblock, a bottle of your favourite rum, snorkel, mask and fins, several guidebooks and half a dozen of the very latest in trashy paperbacks.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 21:25   #4

Thanks guys, I appreciate your response!
Redrock514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 19:46   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jared,
Welcome aboard!! In my neck of the woods, Hawaii, rainy season doesn't slow sailing down even a little bit. Hope you can find what you want.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tonga