Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 07:39   #1

Newbie in New Orleans

Hello from NOLA. I am new to sailing and getting a bit of a late start at it at 42. It's something I have wanted to do since I knew what a sailboat was. Now I am making a go at it. I'm taking lessons when work permits (I am an IT Infrastructure Manager for a media company).

For the record, I'm not running out to buy a boat (yet). I'm trying to start slow and learn a good foundation of basics.

Any tips or advice would be most welcome. Also anyone familiar with New Orleans, I would welcome some local tips.
msfxJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:51   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfxJeep View Post
Hello from NOLA. I am new to sailing and getting a bit of a late start at it at 42. It's something I have wanted to do since I knew what a sailboat was. Now I am making a go at it. I'm taking lessons when work permits (I am an IT Infrastructure Manager for a media company). For the record, I'm not running out to buy a boat (yet). I'm trying to start slow and learn a good foundation of basics. Any tips or advice would be most welcome. Also anyone familiar with New Orleans, I would welcome some local tips.
NOLA is by far my favorite city in America (San Antonio being a close second). Only tips on NOLA I have are keep eating the food! All day every single day! 7 minutes after you leave you'll be going through withdrawals with shakes and cold sweats . It's been almost a year since our last visit and we still mention how much we miss the food
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:52   #3

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Newbie in New Orleans

42? Just in your prime. Not a late start at all. Take a sailing course, such as a cruise and learn. There are lots of good, self-taught sailors out there, but a course will build the basic introductory foundation to sailing, anchoring, docking, navigation, emergencies, seamanship ect. Then you can build on those skills to become a really good sailor. Good luck, you are going to love sailing.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
NOLA is by far my favorite city in America (San Antonio being a close second). Only tips on NOLA I have are keep eating the food! All day every single day! 7 minutes after you leave you'll be going through withdrawals with shakes and cold sweats . It's been almost a year since our last visit and we still mention how much we miss the food
Lol. Living here means we already eat way too much food. (And way too much good drink). If you ever need good restaurant tips, I can give you some really great ones to try.
Old 30-11-2013, 08:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
42? Just in your prime. Not a late start at all. Take a sailing course, such as a cruise and learn. There are lots of good, self-taught sailors out there, but a course will build the basic introductory foundation to sailing, anchoring, docking, navigation, emergencies, seamanship ect. Then you can build on those skills to become a really good sailor. Good luck, you are going to love sailing.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am taking the ASA basic keelboat course from a local instructor. Then I want to take it further with a mix of more formal courses and informal time on the water.
Old 30-11-2013, 08:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF!

Lots of great members from the NOLA area... bobconnie and group9 off the top of my head.... They are pretty active and extremely helpful...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 08:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The easiest way to get time on the water is to start racing. There are a lot of boats around that are always looking for crew, and would be happy to teach you, though having a basic idea from classes is a great foundation. Get in touch with Buzzy at NOYC (New Orleans Yacht Club) and she will help get you in touch with boats looking for crew.

There isn't a lot of cruising on the lake, simply because there isn't anywhere to go, but there is a lot of racing. You are about a month late for the Wednesday night racing, but it will restart in March, there are small boat one design races every Friday evening, almost every weekend has something going on, with a few major regattas coming up in the next month.

If racing isn't on your list the cheapest way to get on the water is to join NOYC as a member, which comes with free use of our boats (disclaimer: I am a board member) whenever you want them.

For cruising there are only a handful of destinations nearby, mostly because the lake is armored on all sides. You can go to Slidell, Mandeville, or up either river. Otherwise you have to head out to the Gulf, where there are some fun places to hit on the coast, and a lot of small islands on the sound.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 09:09   #8

Boat: hunter 376

Stumble and Buzzy? Hope you choose your weather better than your nicknames.
(;-)
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 12:32   #9

Stumble,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm not sure racing is my thing. Work is fact paced enough, but I'm willing to give anything a try. You never know.

I have checked out NOYC but maybe it was newbie ignorance, I figured it would be useful to have a boat first. I'll give it a second look now for sure. I'll reach out to Buzzy after the holidays to get more info on memberships.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Michael
Old 30-11-2013, 15:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Stumble was the name of the first boat I paid for with my money - a J-22
Buzzy is the name of our club manager.

No near at all to own a boat. We are very much a blue jean type club. With a lot of very, very good sailors. SYC nearby is more of a traditional YC, but also has some extraordinary sailors.

Racing isn't for everyone, but it's is the fastest way to learn. And a lot of our racing is somewhat low key, particularly the Wednesday and Friday racing.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 16:44   #11

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Absolutely Buzzy and NOYC. Great folks and the racing is pretty laid back with $5. burgers afterwards. We are members but off cruising for now. We've always loved the low down on NOYC. There any member can get you in while at SYC any member can keep you out.
Plus the drinks are big and wonderful.
My town, yeah!

Dale
S/V WAHOO
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 18:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
Absolutely Buzzy and NOYC. Great folks and the racing is pretty laid back with $5. burgers afterwards. We are members but off cruising for now. We've always loved the low down on NOYC. There any member can get you in while at SYC any member can keep you out. Plus the drinks are big and wonderful. My town, yeah! Dale S/V WAHOO
Thanks Dale. After the holidays, I am going to check out NOYC. I'm going to volunteer to crew at the Wed/Fri races this spring. I may love racing. Who knows? I do love a $5 burger and a big drink.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58   #13

Boat: Mariner 36' sloop
Hello msfxJeep. We are in nearby Fairhope, and my girlfriend is from NO. Look forward to learning along side you.
Backloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backloop View Post
Hello msfxJeep. We are in nearby Fairhope, and my girlfriend is from NO. Look forward to learning along side you.
Backloop,

Are you guys just starting? What's the scene like over in Fairhope?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48   #15

Boat: Mariner 36' sloop
We have completed the first sailing course, ASA 101, & have been sailing 25' Catalina's in PCola for a year. We did a bareboat BVI trip last year & have become hooked. We are trying to buy a 36' Mariner to gain experience sailing in Mobile Bay. I feel fairly confident sailing as long as all is good. Just need to learn for those inevitable times ahead when we are tested with the unexpected.
Backloop is offline   Reply With Quote