Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 23:37   #1

Boat: Columbia 34 Mk II - Matsu
Newbie in Newport (Oregon, not Rhode Island)

Hello to all you sailors, and hello to the power boaters, too! (Nice people, just sail challenged - handy for a tow, tho!). I just found your forum, it is a great source of info, I'll be checking in frequently.

I'm in living aboard in Newport, Oregon on Matsu, a Columbia 34 Mk II. Although voyaging is in my future, I content myself w/ 'daysails' off the Oregon coast, otherwise known as The Graveyard of the Pacific. When I say 'daysails', it is with the understanding that the bar might be closed on your return, so the lesson is be prepared to turn your daysail into a (short) voyage.

Looking forward to hearing from other Oregonians and from folks interested in Oregon. Howdy to all the Pearsons and Hinckleys back in Narragansett Bay, home of the other Newport, my original sailing grounds. Don't miss Buzzards Bay, tho.
geordieschmalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 00:50   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Geo,
Welcome aboard!! I left Oregon after grad from HS. Still have relatives in and around Salem though. I understand you might be experience a bit of wind just now. Let us know if you are ok and how big the waves really are. I heard 70feet but I never trust the newscasters.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:06   #3
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
Hello and welcome from Narragansett Bay, RI!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:01   #4

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Hi Geo,
Great to have you aboard. We are nearly neighbors - I am just a couple hours drive from you. I hope to splash our Cal 29 in the next couple of months in Winchester Bay. That would be a nice little jaunt up to Newport sometime. It will be after a number of sea trials after the refit that I am doing - and during better weather than we had this week.
If you happen to see a 36' - 40' sailboat for sale there in the marina let me know about it.

Tim

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:10   #5

Boat: Coronado 45 - Rubber Duckies
My first sail was from Toledo to Newport on a Ranger 23. Man are those currents rough. I never did get out of the bar on that boat! I'm in the San Francisco area now with a Coronado 45 that I am rebuilding. You might want to join the Yahoo Group for Columbia Owners (CYOA) if you have not already. Have fun on the bay. Is Mr Bill still doing trivia at Roque Ale's?

Darrell
dford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 13:22   #6

All ok in Newport

SkiprJohn - Thanks for your concern, we rode out the storm at dock with no damage. I slept like a baby both nights (!). Usually these storms last about 12 hours - this one was like more than 48 hours. Don't know about the 70 foot waves, but the crabbers came into to port, so it had to be bad out there. Maybe had something to do with the C.G. posting that they would not be sending out the surf boats in an emergency. I tried to look, but I got sandblasted when I got near the water.

dford - yeah, the currents are strong, but mostly tidal influence, so like any PNW'er we plan departures around the tide. That's why the daysails are 6 hours 13 minutes long. Don't know 'bout Mr. Bill, is he at the brewery pub? There's a new pub at the docks now, that's where we hang out, but there is a trivial pursuit game there...already into CYOA, thanks. The guy I bought this from has a Columbia 43, another Bill Tripp bubble top design. Fitted this one out for two, then went and had a kid, so he's fitting out another one.

clausont - Only good boat for sale around here is a Newport 30, tho it seems the freeboard is minimal. Well, compared to a Columbia 34. (Sorry Newport owners.) I'll keep my eyes open, boats around here tend to be well-equipped and cheaper than Seattle area. Best of luck with the launch, hope to see you in the spring!

cnj - I hope to end up in Rhode Island waters May 2009, tho I may truck the boat from San Diego to Houston to save some time. I'll have to explore Mexico to La Paz later, but family beckons. My late uncle (Bob Seal - various Blue Seals in Wickford), who I have to thank for getting me into sailing as a young lad, died suddenly last year, and we need to introduce a new generation to sailing.

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Geordie
Old 06-12-2007, 17:00   #7

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
Columbia River Sailing Friend

Hi everyone....

I've been reading forums from here for awhile now, and I'm ready to say HI to everyone!

I have my sweet 28ft Newport Sailboat moored at Big Eddie Marina on the Columbia River. My husband baught her the first year we were
married...Just 3 years ago...Long story short...I talk alot...

I am getting everything set up for my First BIG trip in 2009...with or without my husband. My husband is a work acholic and so I need you all to help me thru the steps.

I've been trying to get him to live in Newport Harbor...Marina....and he was raised in Winchester Bay as a fisherman. We were just there!....I've fllin in love, what a cute bay....only 2 crabs though...but they were GREAT.

I'm going to check out the Columbia River Group....

You have a new friend in Gresham, Oregon. Add me to your buddie list, I find being new,...like me..to this forums, and this one is GREAT....it's easier to find the person I want to talk to that way.

Leslie

Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 18:15   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Leslie and Geo,

Leslie, you might want to go under "Discussion Groups" and post your "Meets and Greets" in a new thread so you don't tag along with Geo.

Geo, do you know Captain Jay Wolcott?

Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 18:41   #9

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
SkiprJohn.
Thank you, I really want to use this forum the best way I can. Funny thing is, I hated sail boats till my husband baught one, now I'm on a quest for the second part of my life...She is my life..her name is Trouble Maker..my husband says, great name for her, he didn't realize i would spend more time on her then at our land home.LOL
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 13:54   #10

Welcome, Leslie! By all means get your boat out to Newport, the crabbing is much better here. The sailing is challenging, but more rewarding at the end of the day; you will feel much more confident about your boat's abilities when it is time to voyage.

The currents are why there are not that many sailboats here, and why this marina isn't full up, but excellent for learning how to use tidal currents to your advantage.

Let me know if you two are in the area, be glad to take you out, especially if my first mate isn't in town. Docking is difficult here solo.

Geordie
Old 07-12-2007, 13:58   #11

Hey, SkiprJohn, I do know a Jay with a sailboat at this marina. He was kind enough to offer a tow when I ran into a sandbank in the river. Got myself out, but he is a true gentleman. I'll get back to you with his boat name (raining at the moment).

Geordie
Old 07-12-2007, 17:35   #12

Felllow Oregonians!!!

My wife and I have a Pearson 27 in Portland (Oregon, not Texas or Maine). We dismasted last August and hope to be out sailing again by Spring.

Geordie: We get down to Newport ocasionally. Next time we are there, lets hit the pub and grab a beer... as long as it is a family pub.... we have a 3 year old daughter.

Leslie: Nice to see another Columbia River sailor on here.

Dford: Yup, Mr. Bill is still doing trivia shows there. We were there last fall and he was there.
PDXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 20:02   #13

rogue nation

The little pub at the docks is open Thurs. to Sat., but closing time is 8 pm.

Goin'sailing saturday.

Geordie
Old 11-12-2007, 15:29   #14

Boat: San Juan 24
Fellow Newport RI

I'm also originally from Rhode Island and grew up sailing Naragansette Bay. Now We own a SJ 24 Sea Thru and sail Yaquina Bay ( Newport, Or ). We were down sailing last weekend, Saturday December 8 2007. We live in Bend, Or and get to Newport just about every weekend.

Tom
SeaThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 16:31   #15

Hey SeaThru!

I think I saw you heading out, are you at Embarcadero or Sawyers? My first mate had to go back to Portland, so I went for a bike ride instead (beautiful day!). Stop by South Beach Marina (E-58) if you can, trade stories and beer, maybe go out in my boat (or yours).

This weekend looks better for skiing - Bachelor is one of my favorite hills in the world, great snow and very little waiting in line, especially Ed's Garden and the northwest lifts. I'll be out there in January for a week.

Ever go to Newport Wooden Boat Shows? I used to go every year till '97 (long story on my Boycott of The Show), and I still see myself in a wood boat one day, but I'm happy with this boat for now. This one was actually found by my wife, and when she said "I like this boat", I had to agree - how many guys are lucky enough to have their wife happily write the check?

Hope to see you soon - Geordie

Tags
oregon