Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2022, 01:24   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Newbie - Please Help Advise

It will cost more than the restored boat will be worth, by far. Financially, you are better off buying a new or new-to-you but decently maintained boat near your home.

However if you have any great sentimental attachment to the boat, then the cost is moot, and as others have said, DIY will save you a bundle of bucks, if you can spare the time.

A lot depends on the core material, if it is not solid fiberglass. If the deck is balsa core, I would be surprised if it is still sound. If the hull is fiberglass over plywood, it is likely a goner.Such boats don't do well when left out in the elements for decades. If it is all fiberglass then maybe sand and refresh the gel coat and bobs yer uncle, for hull and deck.
Old 24-04-2022, 15:52   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Newbie - Please Help Advise

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyear2g View Post
Hello!

Glad I found this forum and look forward to learning and one day sharing some knowledge. I’ve been a part of some other forums not related to bots and enjoyed the discussions.

I have a 50s Skagit 17’ boat that has been in my family a very long time. It was my dad’s and he passed away when I was young - so the boat has tremendous sentimental value. It is fiberglass and has sat for the past 35 years uncovered and outside in Wyoming. I am beginning to plan for having it transported to my home state of WV where I plan to store indoors until I have the cash to have it restored.

I called the one bot shop in that area and they said that it would be very expensive to restore and that it is likely ruined by sitting outside in WY elements 35 years. I know nothing about boats, but they said likely 35-40k to restore without them seeing it. (I was hoping they would say 20k lol).

Can anyone who knows about fiberglass and boats tell me if it looks possible to “be saved” - I didn’t want to pay to have it transported cross country if it isn’t even possible. I know that there are likely details of the bot that would be better to see to give input - but these are my only pics (I took these pics last year). Any insight or thoughts are appreciated and thanks in advance!
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, newbie