Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 23:17   #1

Newbie - Sea Scout Base

Hello all. I was using Google to find info about the Sea Scout base in San Francisco and came across the thread about it. Since I needed to register to post a question, I did so. About me- I am ex Navy, a Vietnam vet and served aboard an AKA and a Fletcher class destroyer. I've seen my share of salt water. Married 43 years this September (yes, to the same woman) have 5 children (3 boys and 2 girls) and 3 grandsons and 1 granddaughter. All 3 sons are vets with the youngest finishing up Xmas day after 2 tours in Iraq with the Army serving in the 2nd ID with a Stryker unit. I am retired and do woodworking as a hobby and to keep out of my wife's hair!
My question about the base: Does anyone know where I can find info on where the boats were moved to? I have tried several searches but no luck. It is a shame that they Parks system is trying to force the Sea Scout program out of Acquatic Park. I was there in my formative years aboard the Dolphin both the old one and the new. I was there when we went to the Suisun Bay mothball fleet and towed her down to Hunter's Point in the late 50"s.
I have got to say that some of the best times of my life growing up in S.F. were spent on those boats and at that base. I'm not going to get into the politics about it but will say that not allowing BSA to maintain a base there IMO will short change a lot of young people by not giving them a chance to be taught the good, clean moral values the BSA programs present. Man, those summer cruises up the Sacramento River were great. Patrolling the bay on July 4 to give any needed help while boaters watched the fireworks from Crissy Field, was a good experience as well.I was also on a boat out of Sausalito in the early to mid 60's named the Tamalsea.

Oops, I just fell off my soap box. Back to the original reason, if anyone has any info about the disposition/location of the boats that were based at Acquatic Park, I would appreciate it if you would forward it on to me. Thanks........
shooterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 02:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Newbie

Hey shooterjim, welcome to the forum.
Sorry I cant help with your question, but I can support your thoughts that these type of programs can be very valuable to our youth....
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 03:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, shooterjim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 07:39   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 13:13   #5

Thanks for the welcome. I really hate to see the Sea Scout program being squeezed out from it's location. Hopefully someone with enough horsepower will step in with a resolution. I neglected to say that I also had worked at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA. for 10 1/2 years. I worked everything from drydocking, auxiliaries, main propulsion and nuclear repair to teaching a valve overhaul and repair class for the Engineering Duty Officer School. I was a Marine Machinist while there and was a Machinist Mate while in the Navy. I had reserve time after active duty and eventually made E6 before giving it up. So much for info about me. Thanks again for the welcome................
shooterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 13:21   #6

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Welcome aboard I've only been to San Diago once for about 2 weeks last fall about this time of year. We purchased our cat that was in Mission bay. I do know that San Diago is getting ready for the next Americas Cup races and are changing things around to accomidate more catamarans that require more beam space, and I'm sure rents are going up too.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Shooter Jim,
Thanks for your service. Retired Navy here and a VN vet as well. I remember yard periods at Mare Island and was aboard a destroyer at Treasure Island and another at Hunter's Point many years ago.
I'm sorry to say I don't have any information for you but welcome you to the forum anyway.
kind regards,
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Hey Jim
I'm a few miles east of you up in Rio Vista, or there abouts..
I own a Marine Canvas & Upholstery shop and have worked with a couple of the scout groups up here in the delta on their boats..
One person I've worked with from the "Liberty Maritime Museum" is
Cpt. Jim West. If there is something going on within the sea scouts, chances are, he knows the who's and where's..
He can be reached at Liberty-Maritime@msn.com
or by phone at 916-715-0563
If you ever get up this way, stop by, I have a cup of coffee waiting for you...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote