Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 19:45   #1

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Newbie with Stories to Tell

Hi Everyone,
It's great to find this forum for we cruisers. I hope to stay connected with the boating community now that I've donated the remains of my boat to a charity and moved ashore.
I'll start another thread detailing how the hole got in my boat and my trip under jury rig to a safe haven - if you're interested.
First I thought I should introduce myself and my sailing adventure.
I had purchased my boat, a Cabo Rico 38 in December of 1988 and moved aboard to live at a marina in the San Francisco Bay. For the next twelve years I sailed the boat at least twice a month while helping others sail theirs and to crew on deliveries up and down the California coast. One such trip was on an Oday32 to Cabo San Lucas, but that's another story.
October 9th, 2000, I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge for the last time, turned left and sailed into the adventure of my life. From La Paz I became a single handler as I harbor hopped down the west coast of Mexico. Stops were made at El Salvador and numerous anchorages in Coast Rica and northren Panama. I stayed within the canal for three months before finishing my transit on December 1st 2001.
I made my way east via the Grand Caymans, Jamaica, DR, Puerto Rico, and St Thomas before heading south where I arrived in Trinidad in June of 2002.
That's been my home base since. Leaving Trinidad in November to Island hop north as far as Puerto Rico before Island hoping back to Trinidad, arriving in June for the next hurricane season.
It was a hoot!.
Still a single handler and approching 69 years old, this year I decided to sail to the East coast of the US, as I'd never been there.
And therein lies the next chapter. The hole? Came from a deliberate ramming by possiblie a Haitian smuggler at night in the Bahamas, who didn't stop. Interested?
I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with the people of this forum.
John from what was once his sv Sanderling
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 19:56   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Greetings John, welcome, by all means tell your story.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 21:29   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum, John. Glad you've joined us.

I agree with captain58sailin, tell us your ramming story and anything else you'd like to get off your chest. The Sailor's Confessional is probably the appropriate forum for such a tale.

To locate it, click on Discussion Board at the top center of the page. The list of Forums will appear on the next page. Scroll down the list to the Scuttlebutt section and you'll find The Sailor's Confessional in about the middle of the Forums there.

Click on The Sailor's Confessional. On the page that opens next, click on New Thread. Type your ramming story in the box than opens, then click on Preview Post to read what you've written. Keep making changes in the original box you typed your story in until you're satisfied with it, then click on Submit New Thread.

That's all there is to it. Take your time crawling around the site - read the FAQ page (its button is also above, center, just below Discussion Board. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of friendly folks here who are happy to help Newbs.

Again, welcome to Cruisers Forum.

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2009, 21:36   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Welcome, John -

I just read your story in Latitude 38 - awful! So sorry that your boat's a loss and you've been forced back on dry land. Do tell all, though. What are the 'unpublished' details??
Old 14-06-2009, 13:02   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John,
Welcome aboard the forum! Sorry about your boat and hope to read the rest of the story.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 13:06   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha John,
Welcome aboard the forum! Sorry about your boat and hope to read the rest of the story.
Kind regards,
JohnL
To read the rest of his story, SkiprJohn (and anyone else interested), go to: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-27008.html

TaoJones
Old 14-06-2009, 14:15   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum, this will be a great place to talk about your adventures and maybe healing to talk about the attack on your boat.
I am sorry about your boat, glad your ok.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Newbie with Stories to Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Hi Everyone,
It's great to find this forum for we cruisers. I hope to stay connected with the boating community now that I've donated the remains of my boat to a charity and moved ashore.
I'll start another thread detailing how the hole got in my boat and my trip under jury rig to a safe haven - if you're interested.
First I thought I should introduce myself and my sailing adventure.
I had purchased my boat, a Cabo Rico 38 in December of 1988 and moved aboard to live at a marina in the San Francisco Bay. For the next twelve years I sailed the boat at least twice a month while helping others sail theirs and to crew on deliveries up and down the California coast. One such trip was on an Oday32 to Cabo San Lucas, but that's another story.
October 9th, 2000, I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge for the last time, turned left and sailed into the adventure of my life. From La Paz I became a single handler as I harbor hopped down the west coast of Mexico. Stops were made at El Salvador and numerous anchorages in Coast Rica and northren Panama. I stayed within the canal for three months before finishing my transit on December 1st 2001.
I made my way east via the Grand Caymans, Jamaica, DR, Puerto Rico, and St Thomas before heading south where I arrived in Trinidad in June of 2002.
That's been my home base since. Leaving Trinidad in November to Island hop north as far as Puerto Rico before Island hoping back to Trinidad, arriving in June for the next hurricane season.
It was a hoot!.
Still a single handler and approching 69 years old, this year I decided to sail to the East coast of the US, as I'd never been there.
And therein lies the next chapter. The hole? Came from a deliberate ramming by possiblie a Haitian smuggler at night in the Bahamas, who didn't stop. Interested?
I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with the people of this forum.
John from what was once his sv Sanderling
welcome to the forum!!
your story just goes to show how important it is to keep a proper watch!
for donating the boat to charity,i volunteer for one myself.

see ShelterBox: - Home
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie with Stories to Tell

Hey John... bummer about your boat...
Still... now you can get back into posting on here... not that thats any consolation...
Good luck with your 'beaching' and may 2012 bring a change of fortune..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Newbie with Stories to Tell

Thanks Boatman, that first post of mine was posted in the spring of 2009. I've since posted a few more.

I'd PM'ed Atoll this morning on another subject.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote