Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 22:06   #1

Newbies on board

Hello everyone!

I'm Rob and my wife is manuela. We are about 5 years from doing what you all are already experts at. I'm currently in the U.S. Army as a blackhawk pilot and we are so ready to get the cruising life on. We are planning on getting a cat. Right now we are thinking a lagoon 42 between 2008-2017. We have zero sailing experience, so pardon any silly newbie questions we post. We plan on getting some certs through ASA and hitting the boat shows soon. If you have any suggestions you would like to share, please feel free.

Currently we are thinking of cruising the caribbean for 2 years before heading over to europe and back.

Some questions I have already are in regards to registration cost, insurance costs and reliable companies. We have been binging the last year on YouTube channels such as gone with the wynns (personal fave of us) SV Delos, sailing doodles, trio travels.

Anyhow sorry it was long winded, hope to meet some new friends and insights.

Rob n Manuela
Usarmyav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 22:33   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Newbies on board

Welcome aboard Rob and Manuela! Feel free to fire away with those inquiries. Sure to be someone around here who might know something.
I'd say start off now by getting two small fun sailboats so you both can learn together and then race each other while you learn. It can be a lot of fun. Lasers are a good boat to learn on IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 22:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Hi Rob n Manuela,
Welcome to the forum.The cruising life is great IMO but it isnt for everyone. You say you have no experience, I would suggest a charter or crewing for someone else first not to put you off but better to get a taste. I'll let the Lagoon owners weigh in on your prospective choice. Knowing how a wing works will help the sailing learning curve :-)
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 05:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob & Manuela.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 05:45   #5

I just took a fast track to cruising class at Colgate offshore sailing school. Loved it and learned a ton.
ClubBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:07   #6

Thanks for the great responses already ! I must have been up till 2 A.M. last night reading through the forums. Looks like the basic advice is to hit the boat shows before we focus on a specific cat, get some sailing experience by doing a charter for a week or so, and/or go get some sailing lessons. Definitely going to follow that advice to a tee.

Thanks so much already for the warm welcome!

Rob
Old 15-05-2017, 09:19   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Rob and Manuela, Welcome to the forum, Good luck achieving your dreams and thank you for your service. Any one that can fly a helicopter can learn to sail.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:37   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Welcome Rob and Manuela. You probably have a bunch of great experience from your service that will relate to managing a boat. I've never met a sailor that admitted to being an expert regardless of the years of experience. The sea will always teach you a lesson. One of the biggest cautions that good sailors give newer sailors is experiment, but do not get in over your head - There are old sailors and bold sailors, but very few old and bold sailors. You probably will not have that problem. I agree with Don C L's advice to learn to sail on something smaller. You probably did not learn to fly on a high-powered helicopter, and you should not try to learn to sail on something very big. It's not the danger part, it's feeling the relationship between wind, sail, and tiller that are difficult to feel in a large catamaran. A boat under 25 feet is a better teacher. Another bit of advice is get into a sailing club, yacht club or find a sailing friend locally. Put in your location, and we can make some suggestions.

As far as costs, they vary wildly (by factors of 2-3 x) based on location, and to a lesser extent on the boat and your experience. Your question is like asking how much are the payments and insurance on "a car" ... how would you answer?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote