Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2007, 06:24   #1

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Noobs in NC

Hi everyone! My sister and I just got our first sailboat and are going through the motions of learning this all. I hope this forum will help us a lot in our quest to enjoy life after college. No questions yet, but I am sure there will be plenty to come!
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 11:21   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Noobs,
Welcome aboard!! Lots to learn and a good place to start is in your library. If you purchase any book, get "Start Sailing Right." You'll learn it right the first time and not have to relearn something later.
What kind of boat did you get?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 14:01   #3

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Books and Boats

We got a Watkins 27', 1980. From what we have seen and heard, it is a solid boat, with plenty of space for liveaboards (which we plan to do). Right now, we have the books Sailing for Dummies, The Basics of Sailing by Gree (or something, a Frenchman), and the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Guide by Caulder. Our father is also sending the Annapolis book of Seamanship soon. I also have 'The Log from the Sea of Cortez' by Steinbeck, though this is only for my own enjoyment . I am leaving right now to liveaboard to do some work in Wilmington, but my sister will be on this thread while I am away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, both on living aboard and on making the short sail from Wilmington to Beaufort, NC. (Will be doing so in about a week and a half)

Wilmington Piper
Old 13-08-2007, 15:33   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard!

Since the boat is new to you and you sound as though you are not experienced sailors and are planning a delivery sail, I would advise you to have the moter serviced (assuming that you don't have documented evidence of a recent service). If you are familiar with marine diesel engines, you could do it yourself, but otherwise paying a professional might give you a little extra peace of mind.

Also, check the condition of all through-hulls to make sure that they are not leaking (nothing ruins a trip like having the boat sink on ya ) and look in reasonable condition. Check that your electrical system is working (i.e. that the alternator does provide charge to the battery and that the battery does hold charge). Check your nav lights are functioning (port, starboard, stern and steaming), even if you aren't planning to sail at night. It is, in my opinion, well worth carrying a spare set of emergency nav lights - they only cost a few dollars and are good enough in the event that your nav lights fail. Make sure you haveadequate charts fo your trip, and understand them; particularly channel markers, and other aids to navingation. Make sure you have a funcitoning VHF; borrow a hand-held one if necessary. Finally, enjoy your trip!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 16:20   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmington Piper
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, both on living aboard and on making the short sail from Wilmington to Beaufort, NC. (Will be doing so in about a week and a half)

Wilmington Piper
Welcome to the Forum, Pipers. Glad you're here.

I think you should get your hands on a guide to the Intracoastal Waterway, particularly that section between Beaufort and Wilmington. I hope my assumption that you are staying within the confines on the ICW for the trip is correct. I say that because I have the understanding that you are both relatively new to sailing, and therefore strongly suggest that you save going outside until you've gained more knowledge of your vessel and its systems, yourselves (your sailing abilities), navigation and (it could happen this time of year) what to do if foul weather should catch you outside.

If you stick to the ICW, your greatest "danger" will be running aground; i.e. getting stuck in the mud if you stray outside the channel. Not a real danger at all - more an inconvenience. If you can find someone who's made the trip before to go with you, so much the better.

I second Weyalan's advice that you service the engine before you set out. If you stay in the ICW, your sailing time will be very close to zero. Don't despair, you've got the rest of your lives to sail!

Good luck to you both in all the adventures that lay ahead of you with your new vessel. It's never too late to start sailing, and never too early either!

Best,

TaoJones
Old 14-08-2007, 10:07   #6

Advice

Thanks both of you for your advice. We have gotten the boat surveyed, and all systems are in good working order and I (Ryan, the brother) am familiar with them. The tip on a book for the ICW is a very good one. We will definitely pick one up before setting sail, and almost definitely stick to the ICW. We have both been out on the open ocean already, though not far. Still, all respect for Mother Nature and her capabilities will be respected, and the ICW treated as the route all, or a majority of, the time.
Thanks for all help,

Wilmington Piper
Old 15-08-2007, 04:08   #7

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Ryan The Brother,

It is I, Dale The Bearphish...

Sounds as though we are not dealing with dummies, though "Sailing For Dummies" seems to be in your personal library... Any knowledge is good knowledge, and we are "chock full of that, man!" You guys have fun and be safe and let us in on your quest for Beaufort. I lived in Fayetteville for oh to long and Wilmington was the refuge, though got caught in Bertha's wrath there and had a GREAT time at the Icehouse!

Dale The Bearphish