Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2007, 18:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447
Officially saying hello to all

Been here a few times, great info, nice active board.

I'm living aboard my Nor'sea 27 in Huntington, Long Island, NY currently. I make a living as a web designer (front end design: flash, photoshop, dreamweaver, CSS etc). Have done a fair amount of sailing aboard traditional rigged schooners and square riggers, as well as led trips on pulling boats in Maine. Hold a 100 ton license, and enjoy doing deliveries when possible.

Planning to sail/move to Martha's Vineyard this spring in hopes of apprenticing (read "starving") at a wooden boat building shop. Hope to be able to make a living doing freelance web design. Little nervous about paying the bills without a steady paycheck... only one way to learn though. Hopefully freelancing will allow more time to cruise (working as i cruise) and enjoy more delivery opportunities etc. Eventually leading to some extended voyaging and a circumnav.

I've been keeping a blog of life aboard Chamois, and am enjoying that.

Looking to connect with fellow cruisers/liveaboards, web designers, musicians, wooden boat enthusiasts, and raw foodists... and of course share knowledge and gain knowledge with everyone and anyone here.

-Ben
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 19:09   #2
Kai Nui

Always glad to see another wood boat fan on board. Nor Seas 27 is an awsome boat even if it isn't wood. Best of luck on your endeavor.
Old 17-02-2007, 19:10   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ben,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 19:37   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Welcome aboard Ben

I guess you could call me a web designer although I haven't used those skills much lately. I operate and maintain the Cdn Coast Guard Internet and Intranet sites which I started way back in 1994. This includes their services, servers, network and security. I've worked on a number of advanced web application and portal projects and most of my work nowadays is directing others in how to use the technolgies. I do try to keep my hand in though in database/web enabled applications. I also look after our digital assets (mostly photos/video) and intellectual property rights and issues. I do some graphic design, mostly for presentations and publications and ID cards.

If I were a young fella just getting along in web stuff I'd be looking towards security as the best area to specialize in. Seems everybody's a web wizard nowadays, no offense meant. The Internet's not really a nice place anymore with hackers & spammers trying to ruin/steal whatever they can get into. Keeping them out is a constant challenge that changes daily. You've got to be on top of your game and if you are the rewards ($$$) is there. We pay top security analysts 1,000's of bucks a day for their expertise. E-commerce was the boom a few years ago but that's pretty much all figured out now. Keeping those applications and their data secure is where it's at.

So again, welcome and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 20:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447
Rick, good advice indeed. You are correct there. If I could find the other half of my brain, I'd defintely be doing something clever like that!

Thanks for the warm welcomes all.

-ben
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 23:00   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Ben
I keep my boat moored in Port Jefferson Harbor.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 23:49   #7

Ben,for your 2007 goal #2 Bob Norsen has a great article on this site somewhere and he makes it look real easy Opps(splicing braided line).Love ya boat,love ya site.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 12:49   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Ben,
Welcome to the site and trust you enjoy participating!
JOHN