Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2024, 11:33   #1

Older Women wanting to meet a man

Hi I'm a 63-year-old female living outside of Nashville TN would like to meet a single male of same age or older my brother has a sailboat and I really feel in love with boating would like to meet someone who could show me the ropes and maybe own their own yacht who could maybe show me the lines and maybe take me on as a sailor sail around the world together if this sounds interesting get back with me
Rosie 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 11:35   #2

Boat: J/88
Re: Older Women wanting to meet a man

I have a grand-daughter named Rosie and I hope she grows up to be as confident as you!
Old 27-06-2024, 13:28   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

If all else fails, go to Pickwick Lake Marina and volunteer as crew for starters.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 15:18   #4
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie 63 View Post
Hi I'm a 63-year-old female living outside of Nashville TN would like to meet a single male of same age or older my brother has a sailboat and I really feel in love with boating would like to meet someone who could show me the ropes and maybe own their own yacht who could maybe show me the lines and maybe take me on as a sailor sail around the world together if this sounds interesting get back with me
Some questions - Nashville is quite a ways from the ocean, is your brothers sailboat on the ocean? Do you have ocean experience?

I'm sure there are many sailors that would be more than delighted to have a partner to sail around the world with. Best of luck! I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 15:41   #5

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

This is a strange first post. The grammar, (lack of) punctuation, and "Get back with me" make my spidey senses tingle.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 17:48   #6

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Is Chotu still on this forum?….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 18:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Older Women wanting to meet a man

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Is Chotu still on this forum?….

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 19:41   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
This is a strange first post. The grammar, (lack of) punctuation, and "Get back with me" make my spidey senses tingle.
Yeah, my first thought was ain't AI wonderful.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 22:53   #9
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yeah, my first thought was ain't AI wonderful.
Naw, it has better grammar and punctuation..

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 09:10   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

My first thought about the OP post, is that a sentence or a paragraph?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 10:00   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Assuming this post is for real, I would suggest you visit some crew wanted sites and write up a sailing bio your brother can review before you send it out.
Only after you’ve crewed offshore and have some personal references should you expect (or want) to join a boat on an international journey. Be honest about your experience and add that you’re anxious to learn and help with cooking, cleaning, polishing and general maintenance. Include a truthful statement about your fitness and agility level, and any medical conditions/medications that might be of concern if you can’t get them treated/resupplied. Include whether you smoke, drink, take recreational drugs or prescriptions that might be regulated differently in other countries (medical marijuana is contraband under US law even though it is legal in some states). State whether you have any dietary restrictions too. Have personal references available if requested.
Living together in close quarters even for a week requires a certain level of personality compatibility and trust. Expect to be interviewed and scrutinized. You too need to do your due diligence. Ask your brother to help you prepare a list of questions for the skipper about himself and the boat equipment/condition. When interviewing ask about whether he’s expecting any “benefits” beyond crewing - it’s important to establish baseline understandings, even if that’s what you’re looking for. If you want a relationship or not, set some boundaries you’re comfortable with and get agreement. Don’t set yourself up to be a victim.
Run away if someone offers to take you without this level of information sharing.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 14:59   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^

Rosie, the above is really good advice... really good! I hope that you follow it in your quest.

Jim
Old 28-06-2024, 15:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie 63 View Post
Good on ya for having the courage to put your idea on the forum. Over here in Australia we have wednesday afternoon racing from the three clubs at Manly marina and that’s an excellent intro to sailing if you have a similar thing in the US. Put your name on the list at the club and normally there’s an available spot aboard for a few hours on any number of laid back vaguely competetive sailboats. The after race social scene is pretty good too with a lot of sailing talk. The “sail the world “ thing is tricky, there are a lot of less than capable skippers with less than seaworthy boats so proceed with caution until you’ve established the competence of the potential “round the world” companion.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 15:59   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF Rosie!

SailFastTri gavWe you some good advice, and I'm going to repeat it, and maybe enlarge on a few bits.

Quote:
Only after you’ve crewed offshore and have some personal references should you expect (or want) to join a boat on an international journey. Be honest about your experience and add that you’re anxious to learn and help with cooking, cleaning, polishing and general maintenance. I would say happy rather than anxious. But more than that, if your finances run to it, take the Royal Yachting Association (British) Competent Crew course. You will learn a heap, and it will set skippers up to know you're serious about crewing. In the US, there are various sailing schools and you can find them online. If you don't have one, get a passport.

Include a truthful statement about your fitness and agility level, and any medical conditions/medications that might be of concern if you can’t get them treated/resupplied. Include whether you smoke, drink, take recreational drugs or prescriptions that might be regulated differently in other countries (medical marijuana is contraband under US law even though it is legal in some states).

State whether you have any dietary restrictions too. When invited for day sails, bring food to share, and supply your own pfd (personal flotation device)a life jacket or manually inflated pfd. Have personal references available if requested.

Living together in close quarters even for a week requires a certain level of personality compatibility and trust. Expect to be interviewed and scrutinized.

You too need to do your due diligence. Ask your brother to help you prepare a list of questions for the skipper about himself and the boat equipment/condition. I think getting your bro to help sounds like a great idea.

When interviewing, ask about whether he’s expecting any “benefits” beyond crewing: it’s important to establish baseline understandings, even if that’s what you’re looking for. If you want a relationship or not, set some boundaries you’re comfortable with and get agreement. Don’t set yourself up to be a victim.

Run away if someone offers to take you without this level of information sharing.

I think this last word is absolutely essential, and I'd carry it even further. You've got some life experience. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR GUT TELLS YOU! Don't put yourself in a situation where you don't know what's going to happen. If your gut warns you, leave; you can figure it out later. Also, beware of your own susceptibility to hearing what you want to hear; people who enjoy conning others are very good at that, just like some salespeople.

Don't get discouraged. Victory won't be instantaneous, but everything you learn and see can bring you some pleasure, too.

Good luck with it,

Ann
Old 29-06-2024, 08:04   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, women