Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 17:52   #46

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.N Firefly View Post
We watched Captain Ron again,

The coast guard guys called their boat a "60-foot ketch" in the movie...but we know for sure it's a 51', are we right?
Formosa 51. The actual boat used for some of the scenes in the movie is for sale on Yachtworld. It's 51' on deck (actually more like 50' 10"), add in bowsprit and davits and you could say you've got a 60 footer... unless you're checking into a marina... then you're... 'just on 50ft'

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 18:49   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there were 2 used in the movie--yes, formosa 51s--the one for sale in kemah, teejass is waaay overpriced and has rotten decks, but we all know these are repairable--with sweat equity and elbow grease!! (a lady i know leaned on a winch and it broke loose--is how i know about that...oops!) but look very carefully and you will find what creates a passion in you..then you will become unstoppable!
i think the "dont worry they will move" may come from, aside from the writers, the look of these boats charging at you!!! awesome sight!!! i woul dnever count a[=on anyone relocating just because someone is coming at them.....could get really sticky...look hard and sail everything and have fun!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 14:43   #48

Zeehag-

Can we be your adopted sea kids!?!?
F.N Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 15:02   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
fn

can you buy a small used 28' boat now to learn on? it will get you on the water, it will get you into a marina where you can learn from others, it will get you familiar with boat systems. You'll likely sell it for more than you paid for it, minus the upkeep/repairs. You don't know what you don't know. The first chunk of learning is the toughest part to chew. Do that on a temporary boat and then you'll be ready for the real thing on boat #2 in 6 years.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 17:08   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.N Firefly View Post
Zeehag-

Can we be your adopted sea kids!?!?
could work!!

what gettinthere said also---unless you have a passion for something already and went into this 2 feet first...LOL...this kinda boat can be found, depending on where you are, for not a lot of money--and is a great way to learn--there are many great ways to learn.
Old 19-08-2010, 23:57   #51

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Welcome Sherry & Danny! We do most of our sailing far from the coast, in New Mexico and other places. There is no one perfect boat--except maybe the next one! It's very okay for your sailing interests and idea of that "perfect boat" to change as you learn more, get more time on the water, and evolve new interests.

There have been all sorts of wonderful on-line threads about "seakindliness" and good and bad characteristics for sailboats on the ocean.

Don't worry about sipping from the firehose; you have plenty of time to find your "sea legs" and discover what works for you. Although lessons are expensive, you can intersperse them with forums and blogs, books and videos, crewing on other people's boats, practicing and getting wet on small dinghies, joining sailing clubs and listening to dock talk, finding reasonably-priced places to charter when on vacations, helping out with sailing events, getting on a crew list for an ocean race or rally, etc.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 09:55   #52

the only perfect boat is the one for which passion springs and on board which you find yourself sailing off ...
Old 20-08-2010, 14:47   #53

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Don't listen to anyone's opinion of what you should buy. If you wanted a new car, and you had no idea what kind you wanted, you would go to many auto lots. You would sit in cars, look at the models and make notes as to what you liked. Then you would test drive a few.

Do the same with the boat. Go to boat yards and walk around. Go to boat shows. Look online and look at many boats in your price range. Your needs/wants will change. They may change several times.

We had a list when we started: minimum teak, swim platform, 2 cabins, center cockpit, etc - we now own a Tayana 37 Your list will change! You will fall in love with a boat! You will be happy!
Old 21-08-2010, 04:58   #54
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
Don't listen to anyone's opinion of what you should buy. If you wanted a new car, and you had no idea what kind you wanted, you would go to many auto lots. You would sit in cars, look at the models and make notes as to what you liked. Then you would test drive a few.

Do the same with the boat. Go to boat yards and walk around. Go to boat !
Right on!! Boat shows are great! Don't need to be a new boat buyer but you can learn a lot about boats, designs etc

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 06:56   #55

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
OK, I'm going to try to do this without referring to Capt Ron.

1. Get some actual sailing training somewhere.
a. Large boats are easier to sail than dinghies so go with something like ASA.
2. Find some sailing friends and ingratiate yourselves aboard the boat for some sailing.
a. See some of the posts on this forum about etiquette when invited aboard.
3. After gaining some proficiency charter a time or two in someplace easy like BVI.
a. It's a small sample of cruising but if you don't like it for a week or two, you're not going to like it long term. Plus if you make a mistake, it's not your boat.
4. GO FOR IT.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 09:18   #56

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I just missed buying a 22' sailboat for 400 bucks. You can find small sailboats [up to 24' seems to be the magic number] for under a thousand. Doesn't matter if it is junky, because you will spend the money to learn with. Find a pond or lake to sail it on and beat the hell out of it for a year or so. Run it aground, anchor every day, don't put a motor on it [yes, I know you will have one on your big boat, but learn to sail first]. Even if you have to paddle it back across the lake in the middle of the night, cursing me for suggesting this... [I did this one night in grad school with a very pretty woman who was at first a bit disgruntled, but the memories we share from that night will last forever ..]. Anyhow, you get the picture. Buy a smallish, cheap sailboat and really learn with it. Most of them are not really 'boats', so if you smash it up it doesn't matter. Your education will be worth it. My two cents.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:36   #57

in that category is columbia, coronado, catalina up to and including 25 ft...there are others you will find--dont get clipper marine--not a good example of floating safety....macgregor is a decent boat--can find old ventures for under 1500 many places...good luck and have fun!!
Old 22-08-2010, 16:02   #58

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
You don't have to have 'in my day' stories for your kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
I just missed buying a 22' sailboat for 400 bucks. You can find small sailboats [up to 24' seems to be the magic number] for under a thousand. Doesn't matter if it is junky, because you will spend the money to learn with. Find a pond or lake to sail it on and beat the hell out of it for a year or so. Run it aground, anchor every day, don't put a motor on it [yes, I know you will have one on your big boat, but learn to sail first]. Even if you have to paddle it back across the lake in the middle of the night, cursing me for suggesting this... [I did this one night in grad school with a very pretty woman who was at first a bit disgruntled, but the memories we share from that night will last forever ..]. Anyhow, you get the picture. Buy a smallish, cheap sailboat and really learn with it. Most of them are not really 'boats', so if you smash it up it doesn't matter. Your education will be worth it. My two cents.
This is a way, but not necessarily the way.
If the idea behind it is advice to get out on the water as soon as you can and if a cheapie is all you can manage, thats good enough to get started, then fine. I agree.

But it smacks of... " when I was a kid I had to walk to school through the snow, with holes in my shoes, but I was lucky...etc..." And somehow that start makes for a better heart surgeon/engineer/archtect now. And the implication that anyone who didn't have that start is somehow lacking.

To me it's a bit like saying you can't be a good driver unless you start with a billy cart going down steep hills with no brakes... and you have to lose a bit of skin.

As it happens I did start with cheapies so I can appreciate the point of view.
But I taught my son on a 33ft sloop. He is a fine sailor. All that is needed is a solid understanding of how it all works, and comes together, along with respect for the elements, and the value of common sense. He knows it's better to nudge the bottom at a quarter knot than at 6... That reducing sail early means less cleaning up down below after anchoring. That there is no shame in coming home on the engine... that's what it's there for etc...

I think the important message needs to be... get the basics learned thoroughly, appreciate the value of common sense, and get experience any way you can, be it trial and error in a cheapie as was advocated, or belting around the bouys as crew/rail meat in club races, or under a mentor, who is going to teach you properly because he knows the day will come when he is going to hear "Dad, can I take her out on my own for a weekend?"... and you're going to have to say "sure", or admit you're a lousy teachet!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 16:12   #59

Boat: CT 54
Hey Virtual you sound like a good teacher. You wanna come and teach me a thing or two.
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 16:14   #60
TEE

I think its going to be tough to find a boat in that price range with a reliable water maker and solar/wind power capable. I think you should try to cruise on some boats within the size you want, learn the limitations and advantages of different sizes, and decide on the best compromise. I spent $14K on just a watermaker two years ago, and am now refitting a boat with water generators that cost $20K. To get in the price range you are wishing for, you may have to change your expectations. But in any event, I wish you good luck on the hunt.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote