Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2003, 11:28   #1
jim

Boat: Manta,38- Xanadu
our time is near

If everything proceeds as planned, house should be up for sale by this time next month. Moving on board around first of July.
Initial plans are to head north (we're in Charleston) to Chesapeake until Oct. Then who knows...Probably Bahamas around first of the year.
20yr dream finally coming together!!!
Many questions to follow.
jim
s/v xanadu

jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 17:00   #2
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
Congratulations

Welcome to "Cruisers Forum" Jim

I'm happy to hear that you're about to realize your dream of living aboard and I'm looking forward to hearing more ...

Good luck!

:cubalibre

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 22:13   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Jim, If you need any local knowledge of the Chesapeake when you get here, look us up. We will be at Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek til the end Of October. Then we head south. Rock Creek is off the Patapsaco River just south of Baltimore. Our boat is the SV/Sea Trek. Good luck on the ICW. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 22:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Jim. have the same plan! Our house is up for sale and when it sells we will move aboard and sail south. It will be a new life for us.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 13:25   #5

We sold our home in July. Then we had to find the boat. We bought the boat in January (Tayana 42 cc). We plan to leave in March. My husband will retire in December, we will do the last minute things that head to the keys, the to Cape Cod for the summer. This has been a dream since we were married 28 years ago.
Good luck with the sale of your home. The agent, in our case, really made a difference. We had our home on the market for 5 months w/ no nibbles and an agent that very rearly showed the house. We let her go, got a new agent and had a contract in two weeks to the day. The price was the same, this women just lives real estate. She did a wonderful job. We had lived in the home for over 15 years, we were out in 8 days. It was crazy.
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2003, 11:19   #6
jim

Moving on board July

Got contract on house sale today after being on market for 3 days. Wife turned in retirement notice for July 4th. Moving onboard June/July. New adventure ahead!!!!
Looking forward to making many new friends along the way.

Chuck: We'll look you up when/if we make it to Rock Creek.

Taking some vacation time next week and sailing down to S. Georgia to Cumberland Island and a visit to St Mary's.
Anybody got any special watch/outs for cruising around brickyard creek.
fair winds
jim

Old 20-05-2003, 15:52   #7

Full Timers

I read your posts and know that I am still 9 years from the time I get to make sailing my full time persuit. I am I bit jealous but my turn will come. I have been looking around and right now I think that the Hood Canal in Washington State would meet my needs best. There is a wonderful little marina up there where I can buy a slip and sail to my hraets content. Up the inland passage all the way to Alaska will be enough adventure for this old Dog..
_/)
CaptJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2003, 12:17   #8
jim

Last minute details

We have given our children and relatives almost all of our furniture and prized possesions. WE're having the mother of all yard sales tomorrow. Trying to figure out how much clothes and other stuff to bring on board. I guess time will tell what we really need. Our official house closing is July 8. We will be living onboard full time before then. Hopefully we'll have most of the final details finished so we can cruise to Hilton Head for the 4th. Both of us are at a point where we know there's no turning back and it's a little frightening. At the same time we are anxious to cast off the lines and see what's around the next bend or over the horizon.
Because of some commitments we want be able to head north until around the middle of July.

Live your dream
Don't dream your life
(Attitudes and Lattudes Mag.)
jim

ps: tapped on the little fellow to many times and can't figure out how to get rid of them...

Old 03-08-2003, 21:42   #9

Abandon Land!!!

BEST OF LUCK, JIM! I am ready, too. Can't sell house till lived in 2 years - that is Feb 04. Looking at boats - love the canoe stern - Tayana pilothouse, Fantasia, and the Endeavour 37, anything that has more room than beds! Don't care to "sleep 6" only TWO! Would appreciate any suggestions from those who've 'been there, done that.'
I posted about my dog, with my picture.

Sailing experience to date limited but I intend to cruise the world. Ideal situation would be to find woman with boat willing to take sailor and dog and teach me the ropes of deep water cruising! We are both loyal, like to have fun, and can catch a frisbie!!! haha

Thanks for having me!!
MGL
mbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 22:36   #10

mbauer

hey I think it's wonderful that you want to sail the world. I for one would never try to kill a man's dreams. I think the boats you are looking at would do the job for you. Don't scrimp do it right the deep blue isn't forgiving many a time. Have you sail much.. I have heard water sailing">blue water sailing described as long periods of bordon puntuated with sheer terror. Not that I wouldn't drop everying in a quick second if the right oppertunity came by. I have dream of far off ports, new experiences, and warm trade winds. Keep up the passion....Jim
_/)
CaptJason is offline   Reply With Quote