Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 11:50   #1

Permission to come aboard?

Greetings!

I’ve been reading forum posts for a few weeks, finally got around to creating an account. I’m very grateful that a forum like this exists. So many of my questions have already been answered by all the very competent and helpful individuals here.

I’m 45. I have a 4 year plan, culminating in the summer of 2020, when I’m going to retire early. Irresponsibly early, according to common wisdom. I won’t be able to afford a condo or house or apartment plus a nice boat, so my plan is to buy a boat and live on it at a marina while I learn.

Something heavy, shallow full keel, around 30’. Something pokey, slow, and safe. Spent some time lusting after boats on bluewaterboats.org

If comfort was my primary goal, I would probably wait another 10 - 15 years. I just don’t want to wait a day longer than I have to.

I live in Toronto at the moment. I’m thinking I will move to Halifax in 2020. Liveaboard on Lake Ontario doesn’t seem feasible. Halifax does seem feasible.

I haven’t sailed. I’ve been on sailboats a handful of times, just for an afternoon or evening. I’ve read a lot about sailing. Still learning the terminology. I bought some cordage to practice tying knots. I’ve played around with a game called Sail Simulator 5.

Geez, I even sound naive to myself. I am obsessed with the idea of living on a boat, my boat, and becoming an expert on every system on the boat. I want to travel without leaving home. I want to be as self sufficient as possible. And weather. I love weather.

Before I discovered liveaboard sailing was a thing, my unrealistic retirement dream was to live in and care for a lighthouse somewhere on the east coast, watching the ships and storms come in.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I don’t imagine I’ll be posting much, as I prefer to read… and oh yeah, I’m a complete beginner
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 20:30   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Permission to come aboard?

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you would do well with a Westsail 32.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 03:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DDup.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 04:17   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Welcome to the group, but you should stop reading old books
Old 23-07-2016, 06:13   #5

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a good plan.

A heavy, slow boat is fine, but don't overlook a medium-weight, medium-fast production cruiser. They're slow too, you know.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi DDup and welcome to the forum.

I have to say, I see very often, new sailors that caught the bug and are trying to pick up the basics from reading focus on heavy, slow, full keel boats. On paper that style sounds safer, more comfortable, easier, etc.

Then I see boaters that learned from experience, going out with friends and family, taking classes, charters and other hands on methods more often pick a more modern, moderate design.

Not that there isn't a valid argument for heavy, full keel boats but I would recommend some real world experience before committing either way. No matter what style you finally choose, I will almost guarantee that over time your preferences in boats will change.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 16:39   #7

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No matter what style you finally choose, I will almost guarantee that over time your preferences in boats will change.
Yep, you could swap out the word "boat" with a lot of things in life. That's certainly been my experience so far.

I'm sure I want to give cruising a try. Beyond that, the details may shift.

For now, I'm going to sign up for some day sails and practical courses.
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote