Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2008, 07:47   #1

Send a message via MSN to klevalt
Portsmouth, Virginia Here...

Well, Ahoy, and how do you do? I am here as a precurser to making my fantasy become a reality.

I am nearing the empty-nest phase of my life, and owning anything other than a 21' Reinell (that I lost in my divorce (20 years ago) because women should not own a boat all by themselves) has only been a dream... I love the water, though not a real fan of the land-locked version, anything will do in a pinch (especially when I am having severe withdrawls).

My husband lives on the west coast, my 11 y.o. daughter and I on the east coast... a little bit of a crazy scenario, but it works well. With the recent launching of my 18 y.o. into independence, I find myself trying hard to keep the inquisitive youngest child entertained.... not too easy a task, I might add!

Anyway, in this fantasy of becoming a boat owner, I have decided that owning a live-aboard is really the way I want to go. I have owned a house, lived in an upscale apartment complex, and neither have offered me the satisfaction I desire in my need for flexibility, simplicity and humble existence. I just figure that since my husband and I only spend a few days a month together, and it really is only our daughter and I, well why not set the wheels (or waves) in motion and begin the process so that when the lease is up in June '09, we can sell ALL extraneous belongings (I will keep the guitar, bread maker and a few pairs of shoes) and move onto the water. If my Honey doesn't like it, we can get a local hotel while he is in town. (I know I must sound very spoiled... I am).

This is my purpose for being here... to crash a party of experienced, ocean-going sailors and learn the lingo, determine which type of vessel will be right for me, discover a world of uncommon get-aways and most importantly, find out how to become the captain of my own ship. I pray that I don't offend anyone in my naivety, and if I do, please tell me ASAP, so I can learn and avoid the same offense in the future. I may eavesdrop on your posts, and not post any responses. I may try to post a reply that ends up making me sound awfully uneducated. In advance, I apoligize.

I thank you in advance for your patience in my learning.

Blessings to All!!
klevalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 11:49   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Klevalt.

Welcome to the forum! Lot's of people come here with dreams and questions like yours, so don't be embarrassed to ask.

One thing that might be helpful to you is the Cruisers Forum Google search engine. Click on the link below and add the site to your browser's Favorites list. Plug in key words, and it will show you lots of relevant threads from the past.

Good luck!

Cruisers & Sailing Forum
Old 16-06-2008, 12:45   #3

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear klevat,

Welcome onboard....I am sure you will find the company here informative and helpful. I certainly did.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 13:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
This is my purpose for being here... to crash a party of experienced, ocean-going sailors and learn the lingo, determine which type of vessel will be right for me, discover a world of uncommon get-aways and most importantly, find out how to become the captain of my own ship.
You and a many thousands like you come here. It must be our purpose since we seem to collect more and more people. It often takes a while to learn what the real boat inside you looks like.

I suggest you nose a around here and find links as they may lead you. Wandering about seems to help the process and often stimulates new thoughts in an effort to unlock the things that ultimately become obvious only because they fit you so well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 06:27   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Patricia624
Hello! I am a newbee too! Oh yeah...your daughter...you also wants to buy a boat! Love you! Im going to look around.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Klevalt,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and hope you ask lots of questions and learn lots of things.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:08   #7

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome klevalt,
You are close to one of the nicest places to sail, The Chesapeake Bay. Many years ago I had the pleasure to visit St. Michael's by boat. Quite a distance from you, but what a beautiful town.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 19:26   #8

Portsmouth, Virginia Here

Thing to see Carrie B Harbour Tour - Explore the world's largest natural harbour, see the nation's first naval shipyard, and cruise the site of the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac aboard a replica of a 19th-century Mississippi riverboat.
================================================== ======
james

Virginia Drug Treatment
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote