Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 14:01   #1

Potential sailor in the making ?

Hi to all on the site, I am in the position like a lot of others here new to everything about sailing, I am reading like crazy trying to learn as much as I can before I leap, my position is I am dreaming about buying a boat when I retire in 2 years so me and the better half can see the world if were brave enough.
We plan to take our RYA courses and charter a few times to see what we like, as this seems to be a sensible way forward ?
I would welcome any advice on the best way forward and recommendations for sailing schools anywhere as we would be able to combine with holidays.

Thanks in advance
slk229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 15:24   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Potential sailor in the making ?

slk229,

Welcome to CF.

A whole lot of the success of your plan depends on your and your good lady wife's physical condition. If you're planning on tearing your wife away from her grandchildren to fulfill the dream, you're going to have a stormy upwind journey.

Perhaps if you tell us more about yourself, we will be able to offer better advice to you, but planning to start off on a circumnavigation at the age of 65 and over, with no prior sailing experience and no mechanical experience to speak of would be a recipe for failure of the plan.

As we age, we become less resilient and if you and your good lady go out, and she becomes cold, wet, and terrified, this will not be an auspicious beginning. It MUST be fun for her, and you'll be partly responsible for that.

I am not trying to dissuade you, but even if you buy a brand new boat, you should expect to have to fix things, it's the nature of the beast. It is not like choosing and buying an RV or caravan to explore by land. The ocean itself can be a hostile environment for people. Do not underestimate what you're about. Jim and I are wrinklies, yes, but we've been cruising over 30 yrs. It really isn't for everyone.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a smaller yacht (26-30 ft,) and both of you start sailing now. See if you like doing it. Learn to fix *stuff* yourself. If you find it's fun, you're on your way. But if not, then you haven't blown your retirement funds. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

Ann
Old 15-08-2016, 15:39   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome here. I know nothing about sailing around UK but it seems you have many good places there to practice with a smaller boat on short coastal trips to get the feel for it after your classes to hone skills and see if it really is for you and your significant other. Yes your plan seems sensible. Then when you graduate to chartering in the Med or Caribbean you'll really be ready to judge better if you really want to be crossing oceans or find a blissful time cruising around a smaller sea on your own. Seas are still pretty big.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 05:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, slk.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 06:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Ahoy! Welcome to CF!

Ann Cate gives excellent advice, based on many years and miles of sailing. She is a wise sailor. Her advice to get started with a smaller boat, to "get your feet wet" is sound advice too.

Since you are in the UK, I highly recommend you watch a free video series on YouTube called "Keep Turning Left." Here is a link to the playlist Dylan, the producer, made to get you started in the series, which is now in the 8th year of production. The concept is simple: he uses a few small sailboats (26-28 feet long) to do a circumnavigation around the UK. His narrative style and his nice videography make his videos very pleasant and he shows what can be enjoyed with a small budget and an open mind. Be aware, there are 500+ videos in his series, and the link below is just what he created as a "Start" playlist for the series.

http://youtu.be/GpsYphE_lwQ?list=PL-...PPgH_joGjuIRqk
-------------
There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few resultsi for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 06:51   #6

Thank you all for your advice which is sound indeed, our position is we are very lucky and will be 52 yrs old when we retire so are still reasonably fit and active, Ann T Cate is spot on that its about enjoyment and we plan to see if sailing fits us as we have only made the decision to sail recently and we can make our mistakes in the med or carribean.

We have a home in southern Italy and are looking at the option of mooring there or in the carribean for our winters, the main thing as you say is get sailing and learn & yes the grandchildren feature heavily in our thoughts and plans.

We both have great respect for mother nature and would not want to temp fate unless fully prepared.
slk229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 07:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy and Ahoy! Welcome to CF!

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few resultsi for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Thanks for this tip--I'll use it from now on.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail