Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 09:23   #16

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Power or Sail...can't decide

The "this season" is going to be difficult, if you want something already on the Great Lakes, that'll fit your big family, and for under $30k.

There's a Morgan Out Island 36 (centre cockpit) for sale a couple of harbours over from us in Kingston. $30k, and she's going back in the water in 4 days. You'd want 3 weeks to sail back to the North Channel from here. Kijiji link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...pit/1551285838

There's also a $29k O'Day 35 in Barrie, https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bar...ale/1556393283

That plus maybe half a dozen others is all I can find on Yachtworld, Kijiji, broker pages, etc. around here that might fit your criteria. The listings *should* be full of boats around that size in this area, but they aren't. Everything's stamped 'sale pending'.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:55   #17

How 'bout this old Hughes 38' in Fort Erie...?

He wants $35,000 Cdn...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/st-...-ad/1559907375

Actually, that O'Day 35' marshmat mentions above is a much better prospect. Owner doesn't mention what kind of engine, though, or what shape it might be in (although it does have a new dripless shaft seal...)

O'Day 35' - $29,000 Cdn - Description says she's lying in Penetang, so at least she's not landlocked in Barrie...!
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bar...ale/1556393283
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:00   #18

I agree with LittleWing77 (post 9). Kids don't want spacious accommodation like at home. They would love a quarter-berth with a 'tunnel'. Or put 3 in a V-berth with its own private hatch. It is probable that the kids would prefer a sailboat with lots to do and explore. A power-boat is too much like a car. The more you ask them to do around the boat the more they will enjoy it!
Best Wishes,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:54   #19

Boat: 38" Sailboat

Costs will depend a lot on the boat you choose. I could motor for years in a powerboat for the cost of just one of the sails I have replaced, and I still get to maintain a diesel. Now I wouldn't switch my boat but sailboats in a lot of ways are more expensive, unless your just letting the boat go, so from a yearly cost perspective including fuel a sail boat could easily be more expensive, unless you buy a boat to go fast, with large gas engines, then there is no limit on the fuel you can burn.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 14:45   #20

Boat: Mirage 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPNW View Post
Costs will depend a lot on the boat you choose. I could motor for years in a powerboat for the cost of just one of the sails I have replaced, and I still get to maintain a diesel. Now I wouldn't switch my boat but sailboats in a lot of ways are more expensive, unless your just letting the boat go, so from a yearly cost perspective including fuel a sail boat could easily be more expensive, unless you buy a boat to go fast, with large gas engines, then there is no limit on the fuel you can burn.

^this^ I have no doubt I would have been better off financially with a powerboat. But my vote is for none of the above.

The best advice I can offer someone considering purchasing a boat is first buy a dinghy or beach cat if you want to sail for the fun of actually sailing. You operate a cruising boat, but you really sail a dinghy. Second take your family for a bareboat charter for a week in the Caribbean once a year for the next decade with the rest of your budget. Even with a yearly Caribbean trip you will spend less chartering every year in a tropical paradise than owning locally. If you can't spend at least a month onboard your boat every year its far far smarter financially to rent a big boat and own a dinghy for the sport and joy of sailing.

PS. I pay roughly 3 grand a year in storage costs alone for a 10m boat, and that is very budget storage. Summer mooring and the local "cheap" yard in the winter
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail