Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 17:36   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Preparing for a New Life Cruising (Jacksonville)

My wife and I are in the beginning phase of preparing to live aboard and travel the world sailing. Would love to talk to people that have or planning or doing the same. We are currently debating about monohual or cat. Don't know what would be ideal? I am 44 male no sailing experience just motorboats 25 ft range. Wife is 43 ( don't tell her I told you) We are outgoing and grew up in West Palm Beach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreiated.
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 18:02   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We are presently in Jacksonville, we sailed from CT to Jacksonville last spring. We have decided to remain here for a time, or at least until a couple of my kids get married. In the near future we will continue south. Good luck on your adventure, it will be the best time of your life.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 18:31   #3
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Hey asimplelife,your vision is as far out as ours was a little while ago,...............we too only had PB experience but now progressed and bought our first yacht . There is a positive vibe @ CF and a stack of photos to drive your dream and information and varied opinions here for you both to take in.
Enjoy the planning /dreaming & doing . See you on the water.
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 19:07   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome to CF, Simplelife.

This is a great place to at least provoke your own thinking and get some answers. Seriously, the technical expertise around here is pretty amazing.

As to advice on mono vs cat -- lots of opinions all over the place, many of them quite passionate. I suggest getting some experience on both, especially off shore in less than ideal conditions, as well as at anchor. Everything's a compromise. The art is in figuring out which advantages vs. compromises work best for you.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 19:50   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
One or two hulls doesn't matter. It's the dream that counts. Either will make it possible to live the dream. I would charter both monos and multis, and see what fits best in your comfort zone. Then I would go with what the wife prefers.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 04:54   #6

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Maxingout is correct....try different types, but in the final decision try and reach an agreement with your partner on the type and setup of the boat. It will make all your sailing days much more enjoyable.... Have fun and good luck.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 05:33   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome to the forum! Great advice by all re: mono versus cat and, to that I would add the following: not only should you get some experience on both before making such a large purchase, you should also get some sailing experience before deciding if this is a life you wish to pursue. Yes, there are courses available, but starting with a smaller boat of your own would have many advantages:

1. Your initial investment is kept to a minimum and, if you purchase a popular model that is used, you will likely lose very little to depreciation in the short term.
2. You will find a smaller boat easier to sail, anchor and dock than a larger one.
3. If the investment is less and the boat is used, you will be less worried about potential damage if you hit a dock/run aground (and yes, I know you have power boat experience, but docking/reversing a sailboat with a keel can a much more difficult proposition).
4. The experience will give you a better idea of what you will ultimately want in a liveaboard cruising boat.

Anyway, good luck in your adventure!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 09:29   #8

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Thank you all for your kind welcome, suggestions and support. I have scheduled ASA sailing courses at water sailing">Blue Water Sailing school in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. I would love to meet someone that has some hands on experience in North Florida that could help guide me in my new life.

Awaiting the deep blue,

Dave
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 12:17   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey Dave!

Welcome abaord!

We are anchored in Marmaris, Turkey. Its 10pm and we are about 200 meters from the Attaturk Square, and between us and the shore some weird barge pulled up, so about 100 meters from us. Today is a public holiday Ataturk Day. A few minutes ago the fireworks went off. From the frekkin barge 100 meters from us!!!!!!!!!!! Watched the fireworks... we were part of the fireworks!

Only cruising can you get these sort of surprises!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 20:38   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its good you are going to take some courses. Try to get aboard as many boats as you can and talk to those who are cruising and living aboard. Sometimes there are passionate arguments for or against monohull or catamaran but the important thing is you make the best choice for your particular needs.
kind regards,
Old 12-06-2010, 21:28   #11

Boat: Prout 46
My wife and I never sailed and never owned a boat of any kind when we bought our 46 monohull 10 years ago, moved aboard with a dog and cat, and sailed the Carribean. We had a ball! We now own a 46 foot catamaran parked in North Florida. If you and your wife are interested in stopping by and shooting the breeze , let me know.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville