Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 14:16   #1

Question from a Newbee

Hey, I'm trying to get into sailing and learn as much as I can, and have a question. I've heard one of the best ways to find a boat is just walking the docks and meeting people, where would be a good place to start? Panama? I'm honestly willing to go anywhere. Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers, Ryan
ryanvictorg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 14:56   #2

I'd start at your local marina. While any marina is better than none, a marina on a major waterway/ocean with an active sail and/or liveaboard community is your best bet. The boat ramp of a tiny inland lake may not help you much.

Be ready to ask a lot of questions, do a lot of helping hands around the harbor, and generally try to learn anything and everything you can.

PS- If anyone needs an extra crew, be upfront about your experience/lack of but jump on the chance if they let you.
warthog1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:09   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
Take some lessons with the local sailing club. Even basic lessons are better than none.
Once you have the basics, you are more attractive to an owner than being totally green. Most clubs have some sort of placement program for students, where they are introduced to skippers for weekend races etc. Racing will really hone your skills too.

All of this will introduce you to the local sailing communitee. Let it be known amoungst them what you are looking for and it shouldnt be to hard to find a long distance ride to anywhere.

Also. This is quite important. You cant rely on the teaching abilities of every sailboat owner. Some are good some are bad. I know some great sailors (even world class sailors) who make terrible teachers. So the more you learn before you go the better.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
You've gotten some good advice already. I didn't see mention of where you are located. That might help members here who may be able to help with specifics.
kind regards,
Old 09-01-2011, 13:54   #5

Hey thanks for the advice guys. Sorry didn't say where I was, was on Maui, but just got back to the Monterey (Central California) area. I'm hoping to try and get some experience somewhere in california or farther south before people start heading out for the puddle jump, so I could have a chance of getting on a boat heading that way. Where would be a good place to try and get started? SF bay? San Diego? Somewhere in Mexico?
Thanks a bunch for any help
ryanvictorg83 is offline   Reply With Quote