Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 13:55   #1

Ready to Go Sailing!

I'm a female, 52 year old, international school teacher on sabbatical for a year or so.

Looking for Caribbean or Gulf Coast cruising opportunities or even day sailing out of South Louisiana/Mississippi. Weekend sailing anywhere within a day's drive from Baton Rouge is not out of the question.

I am ASA bareboat and PADI certified and have done a lot of coastal sailing in So Cal and Baja California. Have a cheerful disposition, don't mind standing watches, willing to cook and provision (nothing too fancy .... Tho I like trying new foods and recipes and cocktails) and thoroughly love traveling, sailing and making friends wherever I go.

Looking forward to learning a lot from all the folks here :-)

Cheers
Michelle

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

mlaudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 15:53   #2

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Ready to go sailing!

Welcome Michelle, I am just starting to sail- first lesson next month in Pensacola. I believe Gulf Port has some sailing opportunities- I was going to take classes there but a forum member talked me into P'cola for the sailing club. I'm in Daphne AL- eastern shore of Mobile Bay not too far from you. Give Fairhope Yacht Club a call- they do quite a few races and I understand are looking for crews sometimes. If you're in the area look me up, hubby is an awesome cook- you won't be disappointed
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 03:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Welcome Michelle, I am just starting to sail- first lesson next month in Pensacola. I believe Gulf Port has some sailing opportunities- I was going to take classes there but a forum member talked me into P'cola for the sailing club. I'm in Daphne AL- eastern shore of Mobile Bay not too far from you. Give Fairhope Yacht Club a call- they do quite a few races and I understand are looking for crews sometimes. If you're in the area look me up, hubby is an awesome cook- you won't be disappointed
Hi Biker6977 - thanks for the info on Gulf Port and Fairhope Yacht Club. I'll definitely check them out! Where in Pensacola are you doing lessons? Will definitely look you up if I'm in the area :-) I just moved back to La after being gone for over 30 years so it will be fun getting to know the region again. I just returned from spending five years living and working in China so I figured I'd like to get back into sailing since I'm fairly close to the water now.
Cheers
Michelle

Old 27-07-2014, 13:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaudermilk View Post
Where in Pensacola are you doing lessons? Will definitely look you up if I'm in the area :-) I just moved back to La after being gone for over 30 years so it will be fun getting to know the region again. I just returned from spending five years living and working in China so I figured I'd like to get back into sailing since I'm fairly close to the water now.
Lanier Sailing in Pensacola, they sound good on the phone and were recommended by a forum member and they have a sailing club that once you join you can sail their boats as much as you'd like with no additional charge which is a big draw for me just getting into it.
Old 27-07-2014, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Lanier Sailing in Pensacola, they sound good on the phone and were recommended by a forum member and they have a sailing club that once you join you can sail their boats as much as you'd like with no additional charge which is a big draw for me just getting into it.
Excellent way to get started :-) I did something similar in So Cal when I first learned to sail......but Lanier looks like a better deal with it's no rentals fees once you do the first class!! Might check them out for advanced cruising certs. Anyway let me know if you ever want someone to go out on a weekend sail once you've done your course :-)

Old 28-07-2014, 05:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaudermilk View Post
Excellent way to get started :-) I did something similar in So Cal when I first learned to sail......but Lanier looks like a better deal with it's no rentals fees once you do the first class!! Might check them out for advanced cruising certs. Anyway let me know if you ever want someone to go out on a weekend sail once you've done your course :-)
I will certainly contact once we're done. Only one of us has to join the club then you're allowed to bring family and friends with you so it's a great deal. I looked into joining Fairhope yacht club but a bit pricey- $500 to join, $500 a year after that (not bad) but the second year if you want to continue you have to become a full member and put up $5300 bond plus spend $50 a month at the club. If I had a boat that needed a slip it would be a bargain as the cost is only $11 a foot for the entire year with is half what it is elsewhere around per month. Once I have a boat I will likely go that route as we want to have the boat at least a year and learn it around here before heading out.
Anyway- I will certianly look you up in Oct. once we are done and ready to venture out
Old 29-07-2014, 06:30   #7

Quote:
I will certainly contact once we're done. Only one of us has to join the club then you're allowed to bring family and friends with you so it's a great deal. I looked into joining Fairhope yacht club but a bit pricey- $500 to join, $500 a year after that (not bad) but the second year if you want to continue you have to become a full member and put up $5300 bond plus spend $50 a month at the club. If I had a boat that needed a slip it would be a bargain as the cost is only $11 a foot for the entire year with is half what it is elsewhere around per month. Once I have a boat I will likely go that route as we want to have the boat at least a year and learn it around here before heading out.
Anyway- I will certianly look you up in Oct. once we are done and ready to venture out
Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to it - good luck with the class :-)

Old 06-09-2014, 12:40   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Ready to Go Sailing!

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Tags
sail, sailing