Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2008, 07:54   #1

Boat: searching
Request permission to come aboard

Here I am, great site, fantastic knowledge base. Have been sailing with my 1st mate since 1981. We started out learning on a Catalina 22 in the Puget Sound, took the Foolish Pleasure to Maine and then Miami. Next up about 1990 was a 36 ft racing cat created in partnership with Buddy Ebsen, she was a scream, got her on the cheap. Always described the Lokoino as Hobie on steriods. Day sailed on Biscayne Bay, cruised the Keys. Its was ruffing it, but what fun. Made it as far as the Dry Tortugas one time. Next up was a condo boat, don't laugh, 32ft Buccaneer. Hey we were on a budget and hungry for accommodations. Was meant for dockside live aboard and didn't keep it long. Have not owned a sailboat for quite awhile, but retirement is less than a year away and we are ready now! I spend my spare time shopping and planning. I can tell we will really enjoy this Cruisers website.

Thanks,
Herb and Laura
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 08:01   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Laura & Herb, WELCOME

I would love to see some pics of the cat owned by Ebson. Would that be a CSK cat? BEST WISHES in your hunt for a boat. As you already know it can be fun & frustrating at the same time. Thank goodness for the internet. It opens up all kinds armchair buying for us........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 08:40   #3

pics for Lokoino

The air shot, we were late for the race, we really are cruisers at heart, really bad racers, heck might spill my drink, for what, an undigestable trophy, ah we got one anyway, 3rd place. (because only 3 boats finish in our class) Aint that a hoot! the anchor pic we are up a creek at the south end of Elliot Key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lokoino em.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lokoino Aerial catamaran.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	3304  

Old 16-04-2008, 08:54   #4
Eternal Member

What a beauty, but accommodations would be nice. Do you know if Ebson had a second catamaran? Seems that I saw a picture with a house on it.
Old 16-04-2008, 10:17   #5

Ebsons boat

Saw his transpac cat on sailboattraderonline just the other day. The Lokoino was a buisness venture with some of his hollywood friends, the made 4 but were not commercially sucessful , as the story was told to me. They were made to break down and transport to next race. At the time 70' the racing community didn't want multis. Buddy was definitely ahead of his time. I saw a mag article at Multihull about his donation of 2 of these cats like the Lokoino to the Naval Acad and there were pics of him racing the other cat which was crewed by the cadets, kinda neat I thought. We loved that boat and had loads of fun.
Old 16-04-2008, 11:14   #6
Eternal Member

In 94 when I returned from Mexico to S.F. via plane. My ex gave me a book on cats. It was a bit of history from Polynesian & South Asian boats up a little past CSK. They wrote a bit about Ebson, and his connection with CSK.

That book got me to thinking about cats. Especially since I had just sailed from S.F. to Cabo, and then P.V. on a 30 footer. Getting caught in some weather a couple of times when a faster boat would have had me safe in an anchorage.

A few years later I met a delightful woman whose father owned Aikane. There is a beautiful CSK here about 33 ft. It is located in southern California. I drool when I see that boat. Do you have in mind what kind of boat you will be looking for, and where?
Old 16-04-2008, 11:30   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Herb and Laura,
I can't speak for all the administrators but for my part, "Permission Granted." Welcome aboard!! It sounds like you've got tons of varied experience.
Our club has four cats now. A Hobie 14, a Hobie Getaway, a Wharram 23 and a 32 foot racing Cat that we can't figure out who designed. It looks a bit like your Lokoino and has a 20 foot beam. Very lightweight fiberglass boat. It currently has one sinking hull but soon to be repaired.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote