Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 02:35   #1

Sail or Guest House ?

Hi I could do with lots of input to help me make my mind up wether to buy a boat and sail around europe for the 1st year or a guest house in devon for 10 years then sail,I am 54 my partner carol is 48 she has a son of 15 who isnt keen on boats or moving any where to be honest,he may end up staying with his nan except for holidays when he will join us where ever we will be.I have had 2 boats which I have sold because of lack of time to use them fully.I am a yacht master with,as I can see,enough qualifications and experience to at least do europe to gain more,then,who knows.My partner has no experience except on my boats but likes the idea of seeing europe and does like sailing.She intends doing her dayskipper course theory and practicle.To fund our trip we intend investing in 2 flats up here giving us an income of about £700 per month.We have about £100,000 for a fully kitted out boat.I love sailing and always have from the moment I was put at the wheel of a 34ft bavaria I was hooked,I have done charters with buddys around greece and turkey over the years and my sailing area was abersoch north wales I have also sailed my boat to ireland,she was a friendship 22 by the way.We like the idea of a guest house on the coast as it would give us more time to sail and an income dont know much about running one being a haulage contractor and an accountant (my partner the latter)only what we have learnt over the last year viewing them and talking to people who run them.Has any one out there been in a similar situation?I am constantly ,24hrs for the last 6 months,thinking of nothing eles and just do not know which one is the right way to go.HELP,please.Paul.
alibye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 02:46   #2

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Sail or Guesthouse

I have done both, there is no comparison. Cruising has its ups and downs but ultimately is a cleaner more interesting existence. A Guesthouse is catering to the whims of other people.Don't take the line"we like meeting people" A Guesthouse is hard work if you are running it yourself. If you can afford a manager and staff you are the owner, not running the Guesthouse. Other cultures can be difficult to handle ie children discipline,cleanliness etc If you have a choice and can afford it go cruising
Clyde
Old 26-01-2011, 02:54   #3

Thanks,yes we would be running it ourselves,cheers.
Old 26-01-2011, 03:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Go sailing... explore, adventure... find nice places.... and buy the Guest House there... labour costs are cheaper...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:05   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
My grandmother had a B&B and she was tied to it for 20 years. we were tied to it as well. If we wanted to go somewhere we had to make arrangements to have someone help grandma. 24/7. After seeing how much work that was I would never get involved in the hospitality biz. Spend less on the boat. I imagine you could get a Med capable boat for 1/2 that cost. Use the other money to invest more so that you have more income.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
guest house option,1/2 share wife n kids for guest house and use of 63 ft yacht and 29 yr old hostess.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 05:43   #7

Half share?

hi,dont quiet understand what you mean can you explain more?
Old 27-01-2011, 05:46   #8

hi dont quiet understand can you explain please?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
If it were me and starting again I'd go cruising. Now its nearly too late and I'm tied to too many land projects.
kind regards,

Tags
sail