Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 21:39   #16

There's a fetching female lobsterman (lobsterwoman?) who works the mid coast of Maine. On a warm day, she seems to prefer wearing slightly oversize bib foul weather pants - and apparently nothing else.

I don't remember anyone confusing her with a "tent".
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 21:58   #17

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You could put your wife on a diet and then you could close the factory and go cruising.

I gave Nicolle an ultimatum: Look like a cow and win a plane flight home.

Mark

So then, it's not the jacket that makes her look fat, it's her big ... I said that to my ex-wife. You know why divorces are so expensive? They're worth it.
Old 02-05-2010, 22:04   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hang on! Reopen the factory!

Due to extremely cold climes in the last few weeks of sailing I have been wearing something from the deepest recesses of our never to be worn cruising clothing bag... Ski pants. Obviously designed to add to the physique for socializing in the Chalet bar these bits of kit are warm and figure hugging (maybe even figure enhancing!).

Perhaps go skiing and come back with some ideas

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:04   #19

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Most wet weather clothing have flaps to cover the zip. The always get caught in the zip.
Fix that for starters.
Make the inside lining orange or yellow for waving in times of need.
Put Velcro on the cuffs to close them down over gloves.
Make them long enough to not dribble on my back when I'm stretching up, over, into, maybe a soft crotch strap?
A4 pockets inside, zipped pockets outside, like site workers coats, to keep maps dry, phone secure, money dry.
Is there anything there you haven't thought of already. Big plain label for my name and phone number?
Old 10-05-2010, 15:46   #20

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Yes, foulies can look like tents...in college, when yes, I weighed less than I do know, I wore a Henri Lloyd 'one-piece' mostly because it was form fitting and I could run around the deck and not worry about loose fitting getting caught on winches and cleats...

Flash forward, bought a Helly Hensen unisex jacket and bibs and they hang on me despite the fact I am 5'10" and by no means petite...and yes, I look like a glorified human tent.

I think the trick would be to tailor them or even throw in an internal draw chord.

While looking sharp can be important to some people, when sailing I just want to be warm, dry, and able to move around without getting caught in stuff on the deck.

Nicolle must have a really good sense of humor Mark. If you had said that to me, I think your biggest concern would have been if your foulies had PFD built in...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 17:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You don't want tight form fitting foulies. You will never be able to layer properly underneath when it is cold plus your movement will be even more restricted.

There are times when looking slim and fashionable is simply not practical. This applies to hospital gowns and space suits as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 19:41   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You don't want tight form fitting foulies. You will never be able to layer properly underneath when it is cold plus your movement will be even more restricted.

There are times when looking slim and fashionable is simply not practical. This applies to hospital gowns and space suits as well.
Dont be to sure about that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sexey Space suit.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	16023  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 19:51   #23

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
I think you all are on to something with the space helmet!!! No worries of drips down the back, you could install a windshield wiper to the visor, and not as much worry of head injury with an accidental jibe ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 19:55   #24

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
One heck of a set of sun glasses as well...And you can scream to your hearts content and not offend anyone......or be offended by another for that matter.....

Hugh?..did you say something honey?...Let me turn down my David Bowie on my personal Bose system.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:00   #25

Yes, function matters more, but it's not the entire equation. If option A gets the job done, and option B gets the job done while looking good - which one do you think we're going to buy?
When I get cold, I layer up. But that isn't necessary all the time. I frequently have to shop in the children's department as even the "Small" is still too big for me. So I am well-versed in the problems of too much fabric. "Tents" are OK in some situations, mostly when you need to be very layered and warm but aren't going to be moving much. When I need to crawl into the bilge after a fitting my husband can't reach, or deal with sails flapping around me, or try to haul in a bunch of line quickly - I want something that is not going to get tangled or in the way. In other words, something that FITS.
Unless the oversize gear is just designed by men who know we don't like it. Choices: 1. soaking wet, uncomfortable clothing (which will never get dry in this humidity). 2. Weather gear that is awkward and unliked. 3. Go naked.
I think these guys may be up to something, ladies.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37   #26
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
A lot of people are fat. Clothes usually don't make skinny people look fat. Fat makes skinny people look fat. I was sailing in the BVI a few weeks ago and Yacht Shots took my picture. When I looked at it, I thought, "gee, these pictures really make me look fat." Then I looked in a mirror, and guess what! I'm fat!!! I'm going to look fat no matter what I wear -- Helly Hansen, Guy Cotten, Henri Llyod, or Gill.
There seem to be many cynical people here. Perhaps not many of you are fat. The problem with fat is it takes effort to get off, and if this here gentlemen starting the post can make me a jacket that makes me look slim and keeps me dry, then I'll love him forever. Regardless of whether he already has a wife or not!!

I will admit tho, I use my ski clothes as wet weather gear - and it works, but makes me look like a cross between the michelin man and -um, ok just like the michelin man wearing a red jacket! If only I could have salopettes that hug my curvy hips, and even hold them in a bit, that would be great. And a jacket that emphasises my double d cup, and curvy ass, whilst corseting in my tummy that would be great, please.

If you manage it, send me a set and I'll sea trial them for you. Free of charge.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:32   #27

Quote:
In a really pretty turquoise that goes with my eyes AND looks good with the boat!
Hopefully you are a strong swimmer - if you go over the side, you'll realize that turquoise goes pretty good with the water that's trying to drown you too!
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote