Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 12:21   #1

Sailing 'New Guy' Here

I am 40 yrs old and I want to learn to sail. I have been watching this site for quite a while, reading sailing books, and magazines anything I can do to pick up information. Well now its time to take some classes. My wife wants nothing to do with this idea so I'm on my own. We have been spending our Thanksgivings in Orange Beach, Ala for about 15 years and I can sell her on a trip to Orange Beach. I am wondering if anyone can give me the name of a school or of someone who can give certified classes in the Gulf Shores, Ala area. I would love to take one of those week long classes in the BVIs but just can't swing it with work and their school. My goal is to be able to make passages in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
ashland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 18:06   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ashland,
Hope eventually you can get the wife interested. If you take her out sailing just make certain you don't do anything to frighten her the first couple of times out.
Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
regards,
Old 13-10-2009, 20:46   #3

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I haven't seen a lot of sailboats around Gulf Shores there are a few at Bear Point Marina maybe they know of somebody. maybe the Coast Guard station down there might know of someone.
There are a lot more sailboats in Panama City or Pensacola it is a fair drive from Gulf Shores but maybe one of the yacht or sailing clubs there can help.
Good Luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 06:02   #4

Thank you all. I will keep searching. Might be difficult to swing now but I have some time.
Old 14-10-2009, 16:05   #5

ashland do what I did, find out where the local regattas are and offer your services as a novice. Theres always someone looking for rail meat. I am remembering stuff all the time through my racing experiences plus its the best way to meet people who have the same interest. As for the wife only bring one life jacket OOOH
BIG JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 08:09   #6

Welcome aboard Ashland. If you go to the ASA website, you'll find a school or two in the Pennsacola area. The US Sailing website has several in the Mobile to Pennacola area. If you follow the first link below (right after our signature) you may find some information that may help you get started... before you head to an instructor lead class.
Last thought... pertaining to "my wife wants nothing to do with this idea" Debra Ann Cantrell's book "Changing Course..." is an incredible book about couples decision making and sailing. Can not recommend a book higher than this for a couple at your current stage. Wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Old 18-10-2009, 09:49   #7

Ashoreschool:

Thank you very much for the info. I saw one school called Nautica Ltd. that was a two day course. I know that's not long enough but I'll take what I can get right now. I will definantly get the book you recommend. I'm reading "The Next Port" right now about a couple that did a circum nav. and its a good book.

Thanks all for your help.

Charles
Old 18-10-2009, 11:48   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Don't give up on your wife! Just stay the coarse, learn to sail. When you are confident in your sailing skills, take her out on a beautiful CALM day with some roses and red wine and see if you can introduce to her the fine art of sailing "civilized" style. You can covert, its not a sure thing, but ya gotta try.
Good luck and welcome to the forum,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 13:50   #9

Hey Ashland, I too am wanting to learn sailing (coastal cruising) and probably will be going to sailing classes in the same area as you because I get laid off in the winter and it is the best time for me.
My wife also wants no part of it, she is deathly afraid of the idea. But I will keep trying to convince her. Thanks for sharing.
Landlocked 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 14:28   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Thank you very much for the info. I saw one school called Nautica Ltd. that was a two day course. I know that's not long enough but I'll take what I can get right now.
You start the way that works. Even just a 2 day class should get you starting out right. Of course it takes more than two days, but the foundation you start with lets you get much better over time faster than fumbling around trying to kill yourself. It also builds confidence to continue on.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:14   #11

Thanks everyone for your responding. Oceangirl, I think you are right on with that. It will be a long learning process but my goal is to relax and cruise. I figure it will take many years to become comfortable to cruise on my own but I'm looking forward to learning.

Ashoreschool had some good information and I found many yacht clubs and some schools in the Al area. I also started taking their online classes to get familiar with sailing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Charles