Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32   #1

Boat: looking for another boat now
Sailing offshore Florida to New York

Greetings. Bringing my bro's boat up with him. I've done the trip north from Florida several times, but always on the inside due to weather as far as Norfolk. Any advice on best route, riding the stream up, Hatteras, etc? Montauk or New York Harbor is the final destination. Wouldn't mind coming in north of Hatteras for a day, unless the best route means staying offshore the whole trip. Any advice would be appreciated.
Calypso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03   #2

I've only done this trip once and we dropped and owner's boat in Wrightville Beach and picked up his new one can sailed it to LIS. We were coming from the Caribe. We stopped in Daytona and then out into the stream which was swift and not a problem and then into Wrightsville and stopped again at Atlantic City and then through Hell's Gate to LIS. But having done this once I can only say it went smoothly..
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've done the trip a few times. Once North of Daytona the stream turns off-shore and it will be a long trip in until you approach Charleston. I can be nasty with an opposing wind so weather forcast will be very important. It can also be nasty as you pass Delaware Bay. I have run up the Jersey coast in site of land. Until May it will be difficult to get a weather window long enough for the trip.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 21:03   #4

The only advice I would have is:
1. Get advice on the stream to get the best results! Jennifer Clark or Chris Parker can help among others.
2. Stay on the north/west edge of the stream so you can get out of it if bad weather/squalls are forecast. GET WEATHER every 6 hours at a minimum.
3. Point for Beaufort NC...not Hatteras. Do not commit to going around Hateras until you get there and have a clear forecast. Hang in Beaufort for a day or two if you need to wait for weather....or just go up the ICW to Norfolk and out the Chessie Bridge Tunnel again if you need to keep moving.
From the Chessie...I would head to Montauk directly rather than NYC as it is easier sailing than along the coast. Took us 2.5 days in a 50 footer...easy with a decent forecast.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 18:01   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!.
It appears you've found some good advice already.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, new york