Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 21:39   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran
Re: Sailing out of Singapore

I know it's kind of inappropriate but I would like to ask all Singaporean boat buyers who had purchased boats from dealers here if they encountered any bad experiences.

Any cheating cases?

The journey of a sailor begins when he falls in love with his boat. So the journey begins with both good and bad dealers
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 00:03   #17

Boat: William Garden Ketch

We sailed out of Singapore until 2010 though we intend to come back it will be quite a few years. Too many adentures to hae before we head back to Singers.

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15   #18

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

No bad experience with Dealers in Singapore. But that could be because I didn't use any Dealers here

I do have a lot of concerns about the quality of work carried out by the so called professionals here in Singapore

And that specifically includes the guys who commission new boats for Simpson Marine, as well as the others

Happy to detail my experiences over a beer ( so that I don't end up in Court )

Carlisle Spirit
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:58   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

My experience is most used boats in Singapore sell by word of mouth or bulletin board sales. Brokers tend to handle the newer and bigger boats and out of country sales.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:09   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Mark

Re-activating this thread I realized that I never read your posts at the time. A bit late, but thank you for posting. Not that Palau is in SEA, but what do you have to say of that part of the world?

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2012, 16:15   #21

The brokers tend to be brokers. They are ok in general. Competition is tough so they try. Compared with experiences posted by CFrs from the US and Australia they are light years better here in SEA.

Contractors, as Carlisle Spirit is saying, is another matter altogether. Very few people are allowed onto my boat. Only 2 in fact. I regularly find myself on other people's boats trying to help fix disasters, but I do not do it on a commercial basis.

Better try to learn how to repair things and what the right way to do them are than pay someone and then have to re-do it after you learn that they did it badly. Only too often in this part of the world.
Old 05-10-2012, 22:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Spirit View Post
No bad experience with Dealers in Singapore. But that could be because I didn't use any Dealers here

I do have a lot of concerns about the quality of work carried out by the so called professionals here in Singapore

And that specifically includes the guys who commission new boats for Simpson Marine, as well as the others

Happy to detail my experiences over a beer ( so that I don't end up in Court )

Carlisle Spirit
Oh mine. That's making me very worried now. My new boat is being commissioned by them and I spend $15,000 euros for that. I would really appreciate you could give me the Contacts to the right contractors who do your boats. Those that you trust.

Btw Carlisle spirit how is it your Boat does not lean over when shes underway?
Old 05-10-2012, 22:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
The brokers tend to be brokers. They are ok in general. Competition is tough so they try. Compared with experiences posted by CFrs from the US and Australia they are light years better here in SEA.

Contractors, as Carlisle Spirit is saying, is another matter altogether. Very few people are allowed onto my boat. Only 2 in fact. I regularly find myself on other people's boats trying to help fix disasters, but I do not do it on a commercial basis.

Better try to learn how to repair things and what the right way to do them are than pay someone and then have to re-do it after you learn that they did it badly. Only too often in this part of the world.
Hi mick. Could you highlight some of the disasters that u speak off? How do u resolve it?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07   #24

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdnase

Oh mine. That's making me very worried now. My new boat is being commissioned by them and I spend $15,000 euros for that. I would really appreciate you could give me the Contacts to the right contractors who do your boats. Those that you trust.

Btw Carlisle spirit how is it your Boat does not lean over when shes underway?
Give me a number via email ( address below) and I will call to discuss if want to

CarlisleSpirit@gmail.com
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57   #25

Erdnase

There are several contractors around who just simply don't do things right. They do it the easy way. They either don't know the right ways or they don't care. There are two exemptions, North American Boat Services who do general engineering and Wilson who does refrigeration. Not worth talking about anyone else. Read from books and this forum and you'll be able to do most things. Call on us and we'll give you a hand when you need it.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28   #26

Thanks guys. Will north American boat services do any repairs for a boat which is french made?

I certainly will need Wilson's contact since I have a fridge and an ice maker on board
Old 06-10-2012, 12:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdnase View Post
Thanks guys. Will north American boat services do any repairs for a boat which is french made?

I certainly will need Wilson's contact since I have a fridge and an ice maker on board
Yes, NABS is just a name. They will be able to help. Don't worry about it. Same for Wilson, but you shouldn't have problems with new fridges.
Old 06-10-2012, 17:54   #28

I will use NABS for all my boats needs. I know it sounds crazy but does anyone of you good fellas have problems with leaky boats?

Does your boats leak? There is a saying that all boats leak. I was just wondering if I will have problems with leaky bilges or engine compartments on my lagoon cat.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16   #29

I think you'll find that if anything leaks you'll be able to fix it yourself without paying others. Besides, they are not cheap. Don't panic yet.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan
I think you'll find that if anything leaks you'll be able to fix it yourself without paying others. Besides, they are not cheap. Don't panic yet.
What causes a boat to leak? I know old wooden boats leak but Fiberglas? Does it leak?

Tags
Singapore