Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 02:30   #1

San Diego Sailer

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I live in the San Diego area. Relatively new to sailing but I’ve completed my 101 and 103 certs. I’m hoping to connect with others in the area that sail. I’m willing to crew for you if you need another hand. I am planning on purchasing my own boat soon but for the meantime I’ve been renting.

Mark
Surfrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 02:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: San Diego Sailer

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 08:01   #3

Good Morning Mark,

I'm on the same heading as you are. Passed 101, 103, working on 104. I'm planning on buying this year. I'm with a small but growing group of sailors learning the ropes. We're always looking for more crew. We're members of Harbor Sailboats and go out almost every weekend.

Tim
topham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 08:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by topham View Post
Good Morning Mark,

I'm on the same heading as you are. Passed 101, 103, working on 104. I'm planning on buying this year. I'm with a small but growing group of sailors learning the ropes. We're always looking for more crew. We're members of Harbor Sailboats and go out almost every weekend.

Tim
Thanks Tim! I'll PM you.
Surfrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 08:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tim.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:29   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji846]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:36   #7

Quote:
Good Morning Mark,

Tim
Great club. We were members there for many years. I still recommend them to folks looking to learn or day sail/charter.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:40   #8

Quote:
Good Morning Mark,

Tim
Hi Tim and everyone,

If you have a chance, check out my San Diego-related post here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-254413.html

I've been talking to Harbor Sailboats, but it seems like without a membership there are no opportunities to get involved with them. My wife and I plan to visit San Diego, where my extended family lives, several times a year and want to maximize our time on the water while we're there given our landlocked location.

Any insights/advice on how to rent a boat, get instruction, crew on a boat, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
BoulderBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 14:33   #9

I live in Arizona, but have frequently traveled to San Diego to get my sailing fix. Took my ASA combined 103/104 course and later tested for ASA 105 at Seaforth Boat Rentals. They are willing to work with you to meet your sailing goals. They do have a Sailing Club that offers reduced rates on boat rentals. Additionally, they have several locations to rent from, including Mission Bay, Harbor Island, and Coronado. Harbor Island Yacht Club, not to be confused with Harbor Sailboats, provides similar services, including a sailing club, although they offer courses through US Sailing. I've used both of these organizations mainly because they allow single handed sailing. You can check their respective websites for details and cost comparisons.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:59   #10

Thanks @desertsailor. Great suggestions. I actually emailed Seaforth yesterday and am waiting to hear back.

Thanks!
BoulderBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, san diego