Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2007, 04:50   #1

Boat: 43 Beneteau
Saw our boat being build

We visited the Beneteau factory in Marion,SC and actually saw our boat being built. It was a great experience to see all the parts and how they had been made. While they call it a factory, each boat is really made very individually and I was amazed by the amount of labor involved and the quality control. We are really looking forward to seeing the finished product which should be some time in january...not the best time to sail the chesapeake Bay but maybe we will luck out with some of those great winter days. And any day on the water can be a great day!!
nancynana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 05:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Congrats on the new boat. My first two boats were built by CS Yachts and I live about twenty miles from the factory. Used to go up there every Saturday and check the progress as it moved along the line. It was quite interesting to see how they put them together. Is yours a 432?
Old 22-11-2007, 06:01   #3

Boat: 43 Beneteau
It is the new 43 and we sailed a similar one in trial and she really did well. It was very interesting to see how it is all put together. Gives a real ownership feeling.
nancynana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 06:36   #4

How customizable is the boat? Sounds almost like a one off build approach. What options are available to you? Is the architect / designer accessible to you?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 07:54   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Jef,

Having bought a new Beneteau and two boats from CS Yachts I can speak to what the options are. They are production boats and go along a line. When you order one you get a hull number. That's your boat. Beneteaus come fairly well equipped but there is a long list of options. Some are decor and comfort items like the type of upholstery, air conditioning, generator etc. Others are more towards the performance end, size of winches, type of engine, furling or traditional main, spinnaker gear etc. There are no design or structural changes. All the options are essentially add-ons. The dealer also can provide many options, the dealer makes more on options than the factory. The production line does not like change orders. Some charge $500 for a change order. Most dealers that stock boats upgrade them from the basic boat at the factory, usually winch sizes and engines. When I bought my Beneteau which was already at the dealer ( having bought a new boat in the late eighties when lots of builders went under, I refuse to give my money to a builder before the boat is delivered, even a big healthy one like Beneteau) there was an option list which had over 100 items on it. HD alternator, Link system, canvas etc. etc. Two items I wanted were not on the list but the dealer accommodated me and got them, an arch and a new stemhead fitting with two rollers. The stock boat only had one! One option I did not get from the dealer was the "sailaway package", which included mooring lines, ground tackle, lifejackets, flares etc. I found I could do that myself at a much better price. Oops, forgot one big factory option, deep or shoal keel.
Old 22-11-2007, 23:21   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Nancy,
Welcome to the site and congratulations on the boat build. Look forward to hearing when you get her in the water and stories of your adventures after.
Well done.
JOHN