Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 18:48   #61

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Sewing Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
First off I don't work for Sailrite or get a discount, commission or anything else, but there are some things to consider here.

There are knockoffs as shown in some of the other posts. I have a feeling that some are made in the same factories that the Sailrite machines are made in. There are differences. Look at the flywheels for instance. I think that Sailrite has better quality control and other features that you will find on their machines that they insist on vs. the clones that don't have to meet those specs and can possibly cut corners.

Here is a thread on this....

LSZ-1 Clone (Consew and Yamata) - Sailrite Forum

I think by the time you buy a clone and then get a case for it you won't be all that far off and then you won't still have some of the other features that make their machine so nice to work with. To me the service they have provide in the way of videos on adjusting and maintaining the machine itself has been worth the difference along with the help over the phone by Matt and Grant. We have finished projects in time to take back to the boat when we might of been broke down for days or weeks with another machine.

If you sew much you are going to need some parts. Not major, but small parts that for instance the needle will hit. You loose a small screw, the timing gets out. These things will happen eventually. Will the place that sold you that clone have that part and get it to you quickly and tell you how to get the machine back in timing? Sailrite has taken the time to make sure you can keep the machine working no matter where you may find yourself. To me that is worth paying more for. Sure you might be able to use their videos and such to fix your clone, but is that right.

If you are fortunate enough to live some place where there is an experience person selling used machines that can get you parts and keep it running then that can be an option. If you want a machine that you can use at home and easily at the boat or boatyard and want service and parts no matter where you are then consider the Sailrite machine very seriously,

Sum

After seeing the video about the differences between their machines and knockoffs on Sailrite's site, I don't agree with Sum's conclusion that the knockoffs are made in the same factory. If they are, why would you buy one when the casting quality is nowhere near as good?

I am not, nor have I ever been a shill for Sailrite, but I have always been convinced that Benjamin Franklin was no dummy.

Here's the quote I live by:

""The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 19:07   #62

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
After seeing the video about the differences between their machines and knockoffs on Sailrite's site, I don't agree with Sum's conclusion that the knockoffs are made in the same factory. If they are, why would you buy one when the casting quality is nowhere near as good?..
I don't know what factory they are made in and didn't mean to imply that the clones are made in the same factory just saying that they could be under different specs. Items that are successful have been know to of been copied over there.

It has been suggested that when one of the major anchor manufactures switch manufacture to China that the China ones were made to the specs of the manufacture and they failed at times due to those specs not because they were made in China.

I was trying to say that Sailrite probably has more control over their product with their name on it since they can set the specs to their standards.

Casting molds could be pulled off their machine and clones made of inferior metal since no one is specing those machines. This is all speculation on my part but I do know that some of the clones have all the controls in exactly the same place as on our machine and the castings look the same but the actual metal could be quite different.

I have two mills and one lathe that were made in China and you can buy ones that look exactly the same from about 3-4 different places but the motors can be different. Other than that they look exactly the same and parts interchange.

I personally would not buy a clone and take a chance on any of this and don't feel that it is fair to Sailrite to buy one and then use their videos and service/parts (if they fit) to keep it running,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 19:30   #63

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Not to knock anything anyone's said, before you buy anything, take it for a test drive.
I sew for a living, and my wife works for Viking. We have 6 machines aboard when cruising from the wives new Dimond edition to my modified 1541 juki.
And I'll tell you the cheep crap is just that its crap. The sailrite has an oscillating bobbin instead of full rotary.. and is like driving tacks with slege hammer..
Pick a low end machine and then go drive something that sells for a few grand. Then work within that area.
After I used a.compound needle feed system, I refused to use anything else. And you can
See it in my work.
I drive a.1541 Juki with a SC-MCR , ac to dc motor.....
Check out some of our work at CanvasAndUpholstery.com
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:35   #64
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Randy has some good points. And think old(er), not new. Give me an older metal non computerized machine over any of the new plastic beasts. High or low end, I find the older machines to be more reliable, less expensive to repair and capable of producing superior performance.

Speaking to the pfaffs, the ones with the walking foot are a treat to uses when working with fabrics that are inclined to stretch or creep. canvas repairs, sunbrella covers or green velvet prom dresses, that walking foot just does a beautiful job.

The Bernina is a much more refined machine, so well designed it is just a pleasure to sew on. It's like having an extra hand or two when you sit down to it. For more complex work, NOT sails and canvas and sunbrella, it has a huge inventory of accessories that make it a powerful versatile tool.

Singers of a certain age can be bomb proof too. A model from the late 50's with reasonably low mileage on it can sew fast and hard for miles with out ever dropping a stitch.

On all these portable machines you will be sacrificing throat room and power for light weight and versatility.

I have owned and used extensively all sorts of machines, commercial, domestic and specialty. For on a boat cruising I would pick a good portable domestic machine. Weight and ease of use would outweigh the added throat room and power of the commercial machines.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 13:48   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

just found this beauty. All the comments about older SIngers convinced me thei was IT.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 14:12   #66

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
just found this beauty. All the comments about older SIngers convinced me thei was IT.
They don't make em like that anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121202_161148.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	50618
Old 02-12-2012, 15:46   #67

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Looks like it might be good for making shoes....
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23   #68

Boat: Hans Christian 41
SEAWORTHY LASS , did you ever hear from sailrite (solent sewing machines) UK?

I have tried to contact them too with no luck. I am after an LZ-1 also, the guys in the USA are VERY helpful, its just the delivery to europe and the sales tax on top that is stopping me from ordering from the USA.

Frustrating that the uk supplier is so useless.....

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50   #69
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I'm not an expert. But I picked up a cheap domestic machine for 60 euros from Aidi. It handles acrylic canvas quite adequately. It's about as good as me.

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
I have tried to contact them too with no luck. I am after an LZ-1 also, the guys in the USA are VERY helpful, its just the delivery to europe and the sales tax on top that is stopping me from ordering from the USA.
Charlie.
Hi Charlie
Nope, I have heard nothing. Really odd as they kept promising me they would let me know as soon as they had one and that was months ago .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm not an expert. But I picked up a cheap domestic machine for 60 euros from Aidi. It handles acrylic canvas quite adequately. It's about as good as me.
Dave
Dave, I picked up a cheap basic machine from the UK (Frister & Rossmann Panda 6 Mark 3) on someone's recommendation and it has been hopeless. It worked on 2-3 layers for a short time, I could restitch our boom tent, but now it refuses to stitch anything heavier than thin cotton (skips stitches badly), and even that only after a lot of adjustment. It would be fantastic having a reliable heavier duty machine.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:00   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

..."it refuses to stitch anything heavier than thin cotton (skips stitches badly), and even that only after a lot of adjustment."
Assuming the timing is still ok, ease the upper tension and try it again on a scrap.
Quilters often call me with the same problem when doing freemotion with a batting sandwich. The fabric "lofts" and skipped stitches are the result.
The same thing can happen with a bunch of layers.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:21   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post

Charlie.

Can you do any better with the CONSEW 146RB SERIES? There are different throat sizes up to 30 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CONSEW 146 RB.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	51056  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 15:47   #73

Boat: Endeavour 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Can you do any better with the CONSEW 146RB SERIES? There are different throat sizes up to 30 inches.
That is a $2,500 machine
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:34   #74

Boat: Endeavour 43

Dave, I picked up a cheap basic machine from the UK (Frister & Rossmann Panda 6 Mark 3) on someone's recommendation and it has been hopeless. It worked on 2-3 layers for a short time, I could restitch our boom tent, but now it refuses to stitch anything heavier than thin cotton (skips stitches badly), and even that only after a lot of adjustment. It would be fantastic having a reliable heavier duty machine.[/QUOTE]

Adding to what others have posted, A couple of things to check
1. Try a different needle and make sure you have the right needle for the thread you are using.
2. Assuming the timing is ok, check the distance from the hook to the scarf (notch in the needle) it should almost touch
3. Check the hook position at about 2mm needle rise, it should just be at the scarf
4. Check the bobbin case and make sure it is clean with no burrs

Hope that helps
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:37   #75

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi seaworthy,

We are based in cartagena , spain and there are two of us looking to order an lz-1. We are looking at ordering them from the usa as combining orders might help keep costs down /discounts?

Where are you in med? Would you be interested in joining in?

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote