Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I am having second thoughts about the 60 footer.
For people not well experienced with sailing perhaps looking at a 50 footer would be better. But if they have been about a bit then any size boat is fine.

With 3 munchkins giving them a private space would be good, even if its sectioned off bunks, however more importantly would be the room for kids toys and junk so it doesnt get in mums and dads way

The people we have met with children really value the time after the kids have gone to bed, and also a space where kids who wake up early can play without disturbing adults.

The most common 'mistake' we see is families where the children rule and mum and dad are just their slaves. The cruise is not about adults enjoying themselves but about a tyrany to educate and entertain children.

They are all great, fun, and exciting decisions to be made Treat them all with humor and intelligence and I'm sure you will have it work out right for you.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If someone offered me a straight trade on my boat to a 60 footer I would take the 60.

Anyday.

Especially with 3 children. It gives you 59 feet to tie them to the pulpit when they are naughty so you can sit aft and chill out

Mark

(PS I dont have kids! )
no no no Mark, that's what the tender is for! On a LONG painter... like 200 foot ; -)
That's my fall back for when Himself gets outta line. He goes in the porta boat and hangs out aft while I chill out!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 14:13   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good luck in your choice. Always just an opinion but I sailed on many boats from 8' to 55' as either skipper or crew and my ideal is no more than 36. Of course, there were not 3 kids aboard. A family I was friends with had two small girls and did the South Pacific on their Celestial 46 and it was more or less an ideal craft for them. Big stateroom aft which gave them some space from the kids from time to time. Two heads.
Good luck on your choice.
regards,
Old 22-06-2010, 14:44   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Kiwis,

Interesting to note that in the above postings the folks who worry about sailing a 60 foot boat are all folks with smaller vessels, while those that own or sail larger boats don't see too much of a problem. Experience trumps opinion (IMO)!

I've never sailed or crewed on 60 footers, but Ann and I are currently cruising in a fairly light 46 foot high performance sloop. Can't lift the mains'l by myself, just as predicted by an earlier poster. Big deal... put it on when new, 7 years ago. Took it off earlier this year for some maintenance. Put it back. Had help where necessary. May replace it in another couple of years. Not an issue. Have an electric windlass. Can't heave up the 60 lb anchor and 3/8" chain by hand. When the windlass died, used a chain hook and cockpit winch to weigh the gear. Slow, but workable. Not an issue. We moved up from a 36 foot boat to this one. First time I looked at the bow from the helm it seemed really far away. Three days later it had somehow gotten much closer, and now, of course, it seems quite normal. Not an issue. Big mainsail, harder to reef than a smaller one. But you don't need to do it nearly as often as on a smaller boat. Not an issue. And so on...

So, my advice is to let your finances and your desires for space/comfort drive your choice, not the myopic views of folks who can't see beyond their own limited experiences.

Cheers and good luck.

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Jacobs Well, Qld, Oza
Old 22-06-2010, 15:13   #20
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Medium ones are my favorite. They fit in most places you want to slot them in.

Too large, and they can be too tight a squeeze when trying to slot in, and might sometimes go in just a it too far, hitting the wrong places, and tearing the sides.

Too small, and there's just not enough to play with and get a proper feel for.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 15:50   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I just watched some video of a couple who sailed a HR-62 around the world for 3 years. They didn't seem to have any problems handling the boat. Believe me, you can get just as beat up in a 62 as you can in a 42. The thing is you do rely more on systems than on human strength. It is very common on trawler types for a couple or single hander to have even larger boats. If you can afford it, why not?

Kate, I'm not sure about that. The first time I handled a 50 ft. it seemed huge, but I found it handled very easily. Just had to keep ahead of the curve.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 16:12   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
The ages of the children may make a difference in what kind of "crew" they have folks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 19:46   #23

Boat: 25' MV - Calypso
For us, Size Matters

Our boating history is with boats larger than 25', but smaller than 50'. The difference in handling these, to us, is in the available crew.

If I'm the entire crew, I know I can handle a 28, maybe a 32. It suits us fine if it's just two of us.

If hubby is along, I want to go larger, as we can manage a larger boat together. If the kids are along, we really won't go on anything smaller than a 44'.

Go to some in-water boat shows and really spend some time on a 50'. Do some math on maintenance, insurance (yes, I'm a believer) and even additional slip fees. For the money, I'd go with smaller and newer.

We've bareboated on all of these and we own a 25' M/V now. I can confidently handle these if something happens to my captain, and there's great security in knowing that. He completely trusts my ability to enter a tight mooring and dock at these sizes.

But, I'm here to learn from the more experienced folk, so this is just my .02!
CALYPS0 is offline   Reply With Quote