Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 17:57   #1

Boat: NorseBoat Classic 17.5
Small boat, modest dreams

Greetings from a long-time lurker!

Next spring, I should be receiving my new NorseBoat 17.5. I know that’s tender size for many of you, but she’s gonna be a sweet camper/cruiser for me.

I live on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, and there is obviously a lot of sailing open to me here.

Prior to retirement, I lived in northern New York, where I spent a lot of time backpacking in the Adirondacks and sea-kayaking Lake Champlain. Wanting to try sailing, I took a basic keelboat class in Burlington, Vt, and have been wanting my own boat since then.

I’ve spent a long time thinking about just what kind of boating I wanted to do, and have decided that the NorseBoat fits just right with an old backpacker’s idea of voyaging - mostly gunkholing around the Chesapeake, with occasional trailering to other interesting locales. More ambitious thoughts (circumnavigating the Delmarva peninsula, sailing up & down the east coast) creep in, too, but that’s way beyond my comfort zone now.

Anyway, hello to everyone!
Solani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 18:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Small boat, modest dreams

Welcome to the forum, Solani.

I spent part of my growing up sailing small boats in the Chesapeake, particularly near Rappahanock River. It's a wonderful place to sail -you get the wind from the Atlantic, but not the waves, and there are bunches of little coves.
Old 30-05-2022, 18:29   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Solani! Nothing wrong with small boats!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 18:32   #4

Welcome Solani :-)!

What a refreshing approach to sailing!! Vast numbers of Scowegians, meself included, had their first taste of seafaring in boats of this type. "Joller" such as this are ubiquitous in the Scowegian inland waters, and they enable young men - and their sweethearts - to enjoy to the fullest the joys of "gunkholing", which is the standard thing for youths to do where I come from because the distances are small and the water shallow.

Should you be caught out in nasty weather, you run the boat ashore, drag her up the beach a bit, flip 'er over, and you have a splendid bivouac. Better than any tent :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 18:24   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, TP and OP, have a look here: Houses from boat hulls aren't new! https://www.google.com/search?q=Hous...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And, welcome aboard, Solani!

Ann
Old 31-05-2022, 18:39   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Solani that is a sweet boat, the best thing is that if it all turns to custard or you run out of time all you have to do is retrieve the car and trailer and you can be home so quick.
Have you read about Webb Chiles voyages in an 18 foot Drascombe Lugger?

Cheers
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 19:39   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Welcome Solani!
Ah, the joys of small boats… Something magical about them, perhaps the fact that you are closer to the water and that you feel everything surrounding you so directly and so quickly…
One of the fondest memories I have of my days on the water is when, as a kids, my brother and I packed lunch and a water bottle and left for the “unknown” on a small 470 dinghy. Way out from the shore, 15 knots of perfect breeze on a crisp June morning, we were greeted by five dolphins: two to starboard, two to port, and one in the bow. In perfect formation, they played with us for a minute, before leaving us speechless for hours: it was there and then that we knew we had just witnessed perfection — if only for a few seconds…
I wish you endless fun gunkholing adventures in your small treasure.
Fair winds!
Old 31-05-2022, 20:31   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

You might want to check out Roger Barnes' dinghy cruising channel on YouTube. He's done a lot of the kind of things you are pursuing.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RogerBarnesMusings
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:14   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Solani.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 15:56   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And a book for you, The Voyage of Jack de Crow, by A.J. MacKinnon. There's plenty of fun to be had with a trailer sailer.

We met a Canadian couple, who, for their annual vacation, bought an inexpensive trailer sailer here in Oz, and explored mid Queensland with it, and sold it before they went back home. I guess anyone could do that wherever they wanted to visit and explore.

Fair breezes,

Ann
Old 01-06-2022, 17:22   #11

Boat: NorseBoat Classic 17.5

Such wonderful replies; thank you all! I have a year to research, prepare & outfit before my new boat arrives. Right now I feel like I can scarcely wait - almost bouncing with excitement - but I know the time will go fast.

I loved all the links provided. Chortled over the ingenuity of the houses in Equihen-Plage, looked to see if my local library has either of the recommended books (alas, looks like it will be a purchase instead), and instantly hit that subscribe button for Roger Barnes’ YouTube channel.

I’ve learned so much by lurking here. I’m glad to be able to actually join the conversation.
Solani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 19:11   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solani View Post
Greetings from a long-time lurker!

Next spring, I should be receiving my new NorseBoat 17.5. I know that’s tender size for many of you, but she’s gonna be a sweet camper/cruiser for me.

I live on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, and there is obviously a lot of sailing open to me here.

Prior to retirement, I lived in northern New York, where I spent a lot of time backpacking in the Adirondacks and sea-kayaking Lake Champlain. Wanting to try sailing, I took a basic keelboat class in Burlington, Vt, and have been wanting my own boat since then.

I’ve spent a long time thinking about just what kind of boating I wanted to do, and have decided that the NorseBoat fits just right with an old backpacker’s idea of voyaging - mostly gunkholing around the Chesapeake, with occasional trailering to other interesting locales. More ambitious thoughts (circumnavigating the Delmarva peninsula, sailing up & down the east coast) creep in, too, but that’s way beyond my comfort zone now.

Anyway, hello to everyone!

You might be interested in this facebook group...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/394973887921087
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:27   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:51   #14

There is a guy here in Norfolk, VA doing the exact same thing on a Welsford Pathfinder that he built himself. His blog is called Log of Spartina
You may find him to be a wealth of knowledge for how he has outfitted the boat etc.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

After I built my boat...I took a test voyage to the Chesapeake Bay.
What a delightful place.
You could spend a year there and not see it all.
It's a perfect place for a small boat.
It's perfect for a big boat too....but some places can be draft restrictive
Enjoy !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, small boat