Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2024, 17:05   #16

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Small sailboat with head

Backpacking in the Sierra Mountains some areas require you to carry and use a "Wag-Bag". You can't get much smaller than that.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 17:19   #17

Thanks for all the replies. That penguin looks exactly like what I need. I'd be pushing the weight a bit but with a breaking trailer I should be fine, if not it's time for a new vehicle lol.
Gclay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 06:57   #18

We had a Natures Head installed on our 25 foot sloop. Consider any of the “composting heads”, as we did. Remember to consider the ultimate purpose for having the best type of system you can get (ie, functionality, exhaust system needed and durability).
Remember, also, that everyone uses the unit in the sitting position so unless the user is a professional basketball player, head cabin height is not all that important.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:09   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

2 things.

1. Head room. You are likely going to have a saloon in which you need to bend over to move around. But you should be able to have sitdown head room. My father had a Balboa 23 in which he could sit at a small table and had a portable camper type potty. Absolutely no standing room.

2. Towing. Plan on upgrading to a vehicle that has more towing capacity. It is not practical to attempt a boat build with your current constraint. But it will take a while to fonish the boat. You wont really need to upgrade your vehicle until you are done. But keep your eye open for the right vehicle as you build.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:17   #20

In my humble opinion you should not waste your time building a boat, just buy one and go sailing. A small one such as you describe should not be particularly expensive in good used condition and you will be able to go sailing perhaps a year or two earlier than you would if you were to build a boat.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
In my humble opinion you should not waste your time building a boat, just buy one and go sailing. A small one such as you describe should not be particularly expensive in good used condition and you will be able to go sailing perhaps a year or two earlier than you would if you were to build a boat.
I agree with this.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 11:19   #22

When I had an O'Day 23, I trailered it with my AWD Lexus RX330 SUV. Usually 'towing limit' is what the vehicle can STOP, not what it can pull. My trailer had its own surge brakes, so stopping was not as hard and was safer than relying solely on the towing vehicle's brakes. Just be aware that backing a trailer with surge brakes up any kind of incline will set its breaks, so some kind of pin is needed to disable the surge brakes in that scenario.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 12:04   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I had a porta potti on my center console fishing boat.

It's primary reason for being there was to accommodate female guests from time to time, as men were instructed to use the rail.

However, emptying it and cleaning it, fell on my shoulders.

You will only need to do this once to understand that a porta potti will have a short life on your, or any boat.

As an option, consider this. Back in the day, we had the " bucket and chuckit" method. While it may not meet modern sanitary codes, etc, it works perfectly, is simple and safe, and needless to say is inexpensive.
In your case, you could fabricate a padded seat, with the bucket underneath.
When the bucket is in use, fellow boaters shall remain on deck for the duration, allowing the bucket user an unimpeded route to the stern of the boat at the conclusion of his/her usage.

I learned to sail on a small 21' sloop that had this arrangement. I forget the make, think it was a Ranger 21, but not sure, and it was towable behind a small car. It was a lake sailor. It could accommodate four youngsters equipped with sleeping bags.

We had a blast on this.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 13:28   #24

Boat: Downeaster 38

How about a trailer sailor of your choice and a wooden bucket?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 15:53   #25

Boat: Hunter 30', 1989

Check local regulations regarding on-board facilities.
These are the transport Canada Regulations for Ontario as per Transport Canada (I suspect that many fresh waters in North America have similar standards):
Portable Toilets
Portable toilets are illegal on Ontario waters.

The owner of a pleasure craft shall ensure that each toilet and the holding tank(s) is/are installed so that;

The toilet and equipment are connected in such a manner that the equipment receives all toilet waste from the toilet.
Equipment designed for the storage of human excrement is provided with a deck fitting and such connecting piping as is necessary for the removal of toilet waste by shore-based pumping equipment.
No means of removal of toilet waste is provided other than the means mentioned above.
All parts of the system for removal of toilet waste are congruent with one another and the boat.
For more information, consult Division 4 (Sewage) of the Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships and for Dangerous Chemicals.
Northern_Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2024, 06:36   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head, sail, sailboat