Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2006, 08:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
SPAM WARNING

Here is the Spam I received this morning....looks

-----Original Message-----
From: princesskone_fatu001@yahoo.com [mailtorincesskone_fatu001@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:49 AM
To: rich_boren@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Sent From Cruiser Log Crewfinder (yacht crew wanted) and Sailing Forums by princessfatu

Hello SV THIRD DAY

You received the following message from: princessfatu (princesskone_fatu001@yahoo.com)

At: http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/

Av.12 RD 16,Apt.39B, Triechville
Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire.
PLEASE REPLY ME WITH THIS MY EMAIL ADDRESS(princesskone_fatu001@yahoo.com)

URGENT ASISTANCE
Good day Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business
relationship with you I am Princess. koneFatu From Abidjan Cote
d'ivoire, I wish to request for your urgent assistance in my investment plans
in your base,I wish to invest in manufacturing and real estate
management in your base,this is because I inheritated an important sum from my
late father who died in recent political crisis in Cote d'Ivoire here.
Before the death of my father he informed me near his hospital bed at
chu- teaching hospital, that he has saved the total sum of
($10.700,000) Ten Million Seven houndred thousand united states dollars only, in
one of the bank here in cote d Ivoire.
This money was been deposited for my social security and for fruitful
international investment.That is why I need you to keep this transaction
highly confidential and trustworthy person who will assist me to
receive this fund overseas for investment establishment purposeindurities and
lucratives profitable ventures.
Further directives and details about the deposit and on how to move
the fund successfully into your private bank account in your country
will be given to you as soon as I get your response,
PLEASE REPLY ME WITH THIS MY EMAIL ADDRESS(princesskone_fatu001@yahoo.com)
Yours Faithfully.
Princess kone Fatu
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 08:18   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I must get a dozen such messages a week. Find the delete key and use it often.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Ya....I just wanted to point it out to others, as this was my first one from this site.

Thanks

Rich
S/V THIRD DAY
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 10:04   #4

Boat: ketch, 51'
I believe it was W.C. Fields who said "there is a sucker born every minute..." and he was right.
After all, how many times has the Brooklyn Bridge been bought and sold?
Old 31-08-2006, 10:36   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
As an Admin.

Believe me, we are on the system 24 hours a day doing our best to keep the spamers off the site. Personally, I get 2 or more spams a day so don't feel naked.

Like sunspot says use the delete button often, especially if you do not reconize the incoming address. First it was telemarketing, now spam. An intrusion in one's life by the get rich folks.

Although the "Cruisers Log" is not our site I will bring this up with the Moderator's/Owner.

And S/V Third Day you may want to contact the Admin of the Cruisers Log and inform them that your personal e-mail is not secure.

BTW you have posted your e-mail address for all to see.................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 11:03   #6

Boat: C&C 27
I arranged a contract with a company called "Postini" to scrub my company's incoming email and was it ever a good buy: viruses down, distraction down. Plus I can block a bunch of stuff before it ever hits my servers. It even "black holes" emails like this Nigerian schemes to prevent the sender from knowing the address is real. Too cool for school!

One idea to keep in mind. Have multiple email addresses and the where with all to use them properly. For general list postings I keep a yahoo address and change it when it starts getting junked up. My business address never gets used for play and my personal ISP address gets sent only to those I know personally.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 12:34   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sadly, one cannot use ANY email address in public lists and forums unless it is a throw-away, because it will be harvested for spam, and once one spammer has it, they can make good money selling it to others. I'm in the process of purging & killing my "permanent" email address now because it has finally been harvested, not fun. There are options to set on this forum that will allow you to keep your email address hidden, they should be considered mandatory.

Report the spam to Yahoo!, who will close the Yahoo account it came from. That won't stop them but it will inconvenience them. Also report the spam to 419fcd@usss.treas.gov which is an email address to report the "419" type spams to.

Or if you want to have some fun, go to www.419eater.com and see how other folks are inconveniencing the 419 spammers.

If they are greedy enough and you are clever enough, you can actually make some money off these people.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 13:30   #8
cruiser

I love these spams from Ghana and such asking you to take a large sum of money. They have been among my favorites for many years. What I like to do with these, and any bank/PayPal fraud emails is send my account info right in to them - only using bogus numbers.

I figure it will waste their time to a greater extent than mine was wasted as they try and access my "account". I mean, if we all did that, they would not be able to keep up and would have to stop.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:19   #9

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I have two email addresses, one my hotmail address which I use in "public" such as all the forums I belong to; and my private address which only about ten people have. I get more spam on my private address than I do from my public address. I think hotmail somehow does a better job of filtering out spam than my local cable provider. It also does a better job of filtering out viruses.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:19   #10

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48
I have two email addresses, one my hotmail address which I use in "public" such as all the forums I belong to; and my private address which only about ten people have. I get more spam on my private address than I do from my public address. I think hotmail somehow does a better job of filtering out spam than my local cable provider. It also does a better job of filtering out viruses.
I have to agree with that, although I don't get alot of spam on either account because I am very carefrul about how I use my email address. I also have an anti-spam filter on my personal email that works very efficiently. My hotmail account is starting to become a bit of a spam magnet, though. I added a friend to my MSN messenger list and she must have had some spyware on her system from the internet drug companies because since adding her I get about 10 spam from drug companies per week. At least that small amount is tolerable.

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 18:30   #11

"There's a sucker born every minute" is rightly attributed to P. T. Barnum, the famous circus owner/promoter.

Fields' noted and similar quote is "Never give a sucker an even break."
Old 01-09-2006, 00:38   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
From the Admin.

"This forum is also only available if a members selects that they indeed want to be contacted by other members via email. They can turn that option off in their User CP.

Also, the system has "flood protection" so that a member cannot abuse the system by sending mass messages via this form. It is currently set to allow a member to send only one email every 2 minutes. So that would make it a pain to use beyond asking a simple question to one person...

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 20:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I love these spams from Ghana and such asking you to take a large sum of money. They have been among my favorites for many years. What I like to do with these, and any bank/PayPal fraud emails is send my account info right in to them - only using bogus numbers.
In that case, you might be interested in doing a web search for "holy church of the order of the red breast". The order of the red breast is a phony church. An intended victim persuaded a scammer to "convert" and send pictures of the initiation ceremony. In one article, I read of a UK law enforcement agency that recommends against this sort of thing because many of these scams are now run by organized crime. Still, it's a pretty entertaining story.