Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 00:50   #1

Surveys

Before I buy my motor sailer in the UK, Iwould like to get a survey and as I will probably look at a number of boats, the question arises of roughly how much is a survey likely to cost. The boats I will be looking at will be between 37 and 45 feet and either GRP, Ferro or steel. I realise that the answer may be 'as long as a bit of string' but if any UK owner can give me a ball park figure then I can arrange my contingency budget to suite.
TIA
Brian Owen
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:13   #2

not sure about the UK but I just had a survey done in Houston Texas on a 34 foot boat and the price was $600 US. FYI my survey did go up the mast as not all of them do.
shiplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:49   #3

Surveys

Thanks for the info Shiplog. At least it seems more likely to be in the low 3 figured rather that two or 4 figures. Since I will probably have to have one done on 3 or 4 boats before final decision, it is as well to know.
I do expect it to be well overpriced here, as most things are in the UK.
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 07:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The survey I got last year was actually a bit higher. At 45 feet it could be 3 figures (US dollars) You also need to include the cost of the haul out since the buyer pays that directly to the yard doing the haul. The cost is usually by the foot. You would normally survey a boat after you write up an offer to purchase along with a check for 10% of the offer. The owner would review the offer and if accepted allow you to arrange a survey. You need an understanding with the owner before you can survey. You would not write an offer on more than one boat at a time unless you desired to purchase more than one boat.

I would say you should not expect to survey more than one boat but you might.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 12:31   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote I got is below. I don't think these figures should be secret, otherwise no one knows and they can be forced up!

Vessels
to 55ft. USD $20.00/ft aprox

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 13:16   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg9208 View Post
Before I buy my motor sailer in the UK, Iwould like to get a survey and as I will probably look at a number of boats, the question arises of roughly how much is a survey likely to cost. The boats I will be looking at will be between 37 and 45 feet and either GRP, Ferro or steel. I realise that the answer may be 'as long as a bit of string' but if any UK owner can give me a ball park figure then I can arrange my contingency budget to suite.
TIA
Brian Owen
Sep 2005 just under £400 from David Hopkins - for a 30 footer - Not the cheapest quote I got, but he did come highly recommended by someone I know in person who is in the Marine industry.

The survey was done without me present, but I had previously "self surveyed" her and the Survey was really only belt & braces (plus to wave at an insurance company!)......although I told him areas I wanted him to specifically look at, I did not do the Survey for him! and he spotted everything I had and his conclusions were much as I had made.......and a couple of years later I still have no complaints about anything missed or over / under stated - my boat was 35 years old and GRP, and I specifically picked her knowing she had various things not 100% - so not an "easy" 2 year old Beneteau to survey - yer actually need to now stuff about boats!

Plus he was very proffesional to deal with - although we never met in person - and the report was quick to appear.

No, he is not my cousin - just that I figure someone who does a good job deserves a good mention. I would 100% use him again.

David W Hopkins Marine Surveyor Ltd - Home
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 05:14   #7

Boat: Neptunian Ketch Calloo
Hi Brian,
Around 5 years ago we used Chris Berry who surveys anywhere in the UK. You should find him using Google and if not I'll dig out the old papers and let you know his number. I was very impressed with the detail and so have others who have seen the report. I had two suveys done by Chris as the first boat we looked at was very wet and this wasn't apparent from just a visual inspection so we decided not to buy it. We kept the cost down by not having the first report written up. Chris was happy to charge just for a verbal report and he's also happy for you to accompany him during the survey. Can't remember what we paid but it would have been reasonable because I can't stand feeling ripped off.
Chris
Capt Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 07:07   #8

Hello Brian, I would go on line and find the Assoc. of Marine Surveyors, They all charge very much the same but remember costs in the UK are much higher than the US; gas is over one pound per litre. I would engage the nearest to the boat, Uk is the nanny state so if you find anything that was missed you are encouraged to claim from the surveyor. Just to be noisey why are you buying in the UK where boats cost so much ? Very best regards Peter ex pat for 2 years.
hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 07:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Quote I got is below. I don't think these figures should be secret, otherwise no one knows and they can be forced up!

Vessels
to 55ft. USD $20.00/ft aprox

Sounds about what we paid for a full survey.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 13:28   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Brian,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here on the forum. You've gotten some good answers and advice already.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote