Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2011, 04:35   #1

The 'Everyman Story'

My title pretty much says it all. I am sitting here at 4am in the morning worrying if my crew is going to have fowl weather gear. Did they bring enough underwear and socks? How did I wake up this early and find myself dealing with a mother hen problem? It started with the same dream all of you have. My wife and I wanted to retire and live on a boat; see something of the world before we got so old that there would not be a choice we could be able to make. Life would have passed us by while we watched reruns of CSI. Just like you I said we can do this. We can buy a boat. We can have this dream. This dream is within our reach. I went on line and found boats that were in our price range. I watched the Pardey's film of Storm Tactics and was convinced that we came from a stock with strong DNA's. In some time I found a boat with a fire sale price, and in great shape. Has all the bells and whistles. One owner that was more anal than me. I put in a ridiculous offer with the mindset, that if this was what we were supposed to do, then it would happen. We are in the middle of the worst recession since the 30's. Maybe we will get lucky. The offer was accepted. I found out really quick that the price of a boat might be about the same price it's going to cost you to get it where you want it. Although it has what the average guy would think is everything; well it's not. Now I am faced with getting my dream boat home. The order of business is how and whom. I don't know how to sail. I have a boat I can't sail and no place to put it. Woe is me. What the heck have I done now Lucy. Having spent our life savings I now need to move a boat on the cheap. I come to find this forum and cast my net out. Told my story. With some doing I find a extra ordinarily well suited young fellow that wants to make his way and ply his trade in the warm waters of the south. Did I mention he is a sailing instructor? I am so fortunate I can't contain myself. I decide the two of us can motor this boat for 30-40 days through the ICW down to Houston area. This will be its home until we find a home for it. I am in no big hurry. We can make this an adventure and enjoy a long passage with plenty of stops. Again I am on the forum getting a lot of really first class advice from well intended people with a vast amount of experience. You can't buy this kind of input I am getting for free. I am feeling really good now. I also am getting from the forum that I need to have more of a crew. It's way too dangerous with just two. Anything could happen. Again from the forum comes more manna from heaven. I find a wonderful captain of a boat that steers me to a talented fellow that just happens to live in the area we are going to. Luck of the Irish. He not only wants an adventure he has a boat of his own and wants the experience this particular passage we are taken. He signs on for the voyage. Now we really are in a stable and safer environment to move this boat. Now I am so excited my beautiful young bride is worried I am risking having heart failure if I don't contain myself. A relative sane person would not think this couldn’t get better. It does. From this truly capable sailor he arranges for me to meet another crew member that will also come aboard. This seaman just might be the most accomplished and talented sailor that I will ever meet. A resume made of gold. Parchment with silver script. My head is going to explode. I take my heart pills. I do yoga breathing. Now we have a crew that is worthy of praise. We not only can we move this boat, we can sail this boat in the blue waters outside the ICW. Now you know why I am here at 4am in the morning worrying about someone else’s underwear.
oldman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 04:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The "Everyman Story"

Congratulations mate....
Aint CF great....
Enjoy your voyage and may the gods continue to not see you...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 05:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: The "Everyman Story"

have a fun trip,may the crews abilities exceed their resume's.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 05:09   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Not to put a wet towel on you happiness, but it's not about the crew sailing resumes or abilities, but how well you all get along together. You'll find out after the first few days.

I hope it works out well. Good luck!
Old 22-10-2011, 05:09   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Fair winds and following seas, and welcome to the forum.
Old 22-10-2011, 05:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The "everymans Story" edited

Damn.... I think the ole brains finally popped.....
Could have sworn I read and responded to this a coupla hours ago....
Where's me beer.... quick...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 05:40   #7

In respose to getting along. It really wasn't about socks. It was about, can we get along for that long of time. There are egos envolved. I thought it would read better with the socks.
Old 22-10-2011, 05:56   #8

Re: The "everymans Story" edited

During the editing my time expired so I took itoff line, fixed what I could and reposted as an edited story. Thanks for reading. Thanks again for your part in helping me with this. What a great bunch sailors turn out to be.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:35   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Have a fun cruse down the east coast, it will not last that long and if you bite your tounge and avoid heated descussions and stick to your yoga breathing you will make it with ease. Remember young folks can handle about anything without socks and underwear, just hide the rum at least one bottle.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:53   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

your sox will all fit and stay dry and sun will shine even in a storm and all will be peachy...i am so happy for ye--just wish i could accompany ye on this adventure-- but......(i darent speakout in public yet...)
boatman--your beer is in my hands..hope ye likes negro modelo....i will save ye half or buy another later. is only a figurative one, tho at this time.
todo es bien---- take some deep breaths and sit back for a minuet---- ye will be fine.

dont forget to measure the mast to the waterline. hank made his yorkies with tabernackling masts, so ye may be able to pass under bridges more easily than originally thunk........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 11:05   #11

You are a real hoot. Drink a pint for us. We will all have our families and now you on our minds. Gotta love a gal like you.
Old 22-10-2011, 11:31   #12

ty (bows) you will do well!
and the modelo may just flow well into a into a pint mug in a few days......
Old 22-10-2011, 11:57   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Oldman, my eyes glaze, my head explodes. Do your readers a favor and break up your story into at least half a dozen or more paragraphs. No more than five lines a paragraph. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 19:00   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 08-11-2011, 19:05   #15

stan--just keelhaul the lot of em.....but only if they forget their sox....