Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 18:50   #16

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: The New Chapter (Covid Edition)

Just adding an update to my thread for posterity.

Ann, I’m thrilled to say my previous owner was kind enough not to leave a legacy of 5200-bonded components. Whatever they used (probably the owner prior to my seller by the looks of things) had long since degraded into a somewhat chalky/clay-like putty with very little adhesion remaining (if it ever had it). The deck hardware all came off very easily and cleanup was surprisingly easy as well. I took your advice and let the epoxy cure 24 hours before rebedding, and I’m happy to report my teaky is no longer leaky. In fact, I was onboard today while we were getting some effects from Tropical Storm Eta and not a drop of water found its way below.

With that project done, I’ve been free to tackle some more. I’ve been striking a balance between cosmetics and mechanical repairs and upgrades. The cosmetic improvements have given me the motivation to press on with the nitty gritty mechanical items.

The 16,000 BTU Dometic unit is in- just in time for the oppressive heat to give way to fall temps, but it’s still a VERY welcome upgrade as the old unit gave up the ghost (I’m guessing) during the Bush administration.

I’ve painted the bilge with a beautiful coat of white Bilgecote and decided to do all of the spaces under the sinks, bunks, and settees with it as well. That not only made the boat feel fundamentally cleaner but it eliminated a great deal of the musty “old boat” smell. I also installed the Froli sleep system and memory foam mattresses (with the cool gel topper- important for Florida).

I tackled the brightwork on the deck with a new coat of Gloss Cetol, and spent a few days tackling the bronze and brass fittings down below. The result of all that hard work has the boat looking like the Wanderer from Captain Ron mid-movie. I cannot wait to get the hull professionally painted with Awlgrip in a few months.

On the mechanical side, my engine guy flaked out on me (the marine industry down here is white hot right now and it’s nearly impossible to get a service scheduled, BUT I was pleased to see that the previous owner gave the engine and transmission a service before I bought it. Oil is clear and full, coolant is good, zincs and belts are all new- so I’m able to take that one off the list. I also topped off the batteries to complete the routine maintenance items, then went through the ac wiring and replaced a bunch of corroded and charred terminals (picture of some included)

My current, ongoing project is reinstalling the pressure water system which has been easy enough so far.

Next on the list is going to be replacing the exhaust hoses- which I expect to be a bit of a pain. I have some cabinets that need the insides rebuilt, and my shipwright flaked out on me too, so that’s going to be mine to tackle now. I expect that’s going to be a pain as well. I’m also going to replace the composting head with a traditional marine head (ideally electric if not Vacuflush- we’ll see). While the composting head has absolutely eliminated the head odor, the seat is far too high as it’s mounted on a platform and difficult to use. Fortunately all of the old head plumbing is gone so I have a blank canvas to work with, just like the pressure water plumbing.

The BIG project coming up is going to be painting the deck. I’m thinking single part polyurethane and Kiwigrip for the nonskid.

And while I’ve been getting a lot of work done on it, I’ve been taking it out regularly and am now comfortable single handing it (docking and close quarters maneuvering being the more challenging part of that given that it’s a full keel, heavy displacement hull). I miss the days where I had twin screws, but I’m having fun mastering the art of warping my way into and out of right spots.

After the haul out, I’m going to take a couple weeks and run it down to Key West then the Dry Turtugas for a proper shakedown.

My thanks to all for the advice in this and my other threads. I look forward to seeing everyone on the water.

A couple pictures of the progress included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFBAEC46-EBA0-4EA6-AF99-897D63FE0629.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	226675   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E157AE7-CEE0-4A8B-98A3-C4F1A664607C.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	226676  

Name:	FD332110-1CF0-43B7-8405-43AB6967A144.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	226677   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B387EDC-DD57-4EDD-8C72-EB1538ACBD9B.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	226678  

Name:	4BED6E82-12E3-40C1-B2E9-AE4A212D6F75.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	226679  
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:49   #17

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Another option for the composting head being to high
I found this on amazon. Listed as a shower seat, but rated for something like 250 lbs. It folds up nice, and is quite sturdy.
If your setup will accommodate it of courseClick image for larger version

Name:	20201012_140214.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	226690Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_140220.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	226691
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:58   #18

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Another option for the composting head being to high
I found this on amazon. Listed as a shower seat, but rated for something like 250 lbs. It folds up nice, and is quite sturdy.
If your setup will accommodate it of courseAttachment 226690Attachment 226691

Hey we have the same head! I'm watching the latest installment of Gone With the Wynns on youtube as I type this and they're literally doing a segment on the exact same composting head. Weird. It's either a sign that I should consider keeping it, or it's a really common head.

Your step idea is brilliant. I'm going to check tomorrow when I'm on board to see if I have a place to mount that. I've not been the least bit bothered by tending to the composting head, and I really love the fact that I have absolutely no head odor (especially noteworthy for a boat of its age). I think I'm going to switch to the coconut husk media if I do keep it though. The little turd flies that the other stuff encourages are not the best.

I'll give the head replacement a little more thought.

Thanks for that!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:17   #19

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Glad to help.
Natures head is a popular brand, although there really are only 3 mainstream brands. We love ours, as do pretty much all who own them.
We find the coconut coir to be better than peat moss. Less flies for sure, but also easier to store as its compressed. Amazon has bricks of it for about 3-4$ each.
If you have flies, youcan also add diatomaceous earth. You don't need much. Also try to keep it drier, too wet brings in the flies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Hey we have the same head! I'm watching the latest installment of Gone With the Wynns on youtube as I type this and they're literally doing a segment on the exact same composting head. Weird. It's either a sign that I should consider keeping it, or it's a really common head.

Your step idea is brilliant. I'm going to check tomorrow when I'm on board to see if I have a place to mount that. I've not been the least bit bothered by tending to the composting head, and I really love the fact that I have absolutely no head odor (especially noteworthy for a boat of its age). I think I'm going to switch to the coconut husk media if I do keep it though. The little turd flies that the other stuff encourages are not the best.

I'll give the head replacement a little more thought.

Thanks for that!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote