Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 13:41   #1

Arrow The Wind Has Changed Direction

***FORUM DISCLAIMER – IF YOU DON’T LIKE TO READ ABOUT A MIDDLE AGED MALE BABBLING ABOUT NOTHING PLEASE MOVE ALONG – THERE IS NOTHING FOR YOU TO SEE HERE J ****

Greetings from the PNW.

First off a confession and a couple disclosures:
· I have not sailed before (Please excuse my ignorance as I babble about)
· 39yo male.
· Married (17 years).
· 3 boys - Oldest is leaving for the US Navy on August 25th this year. Middle son is 17yo and going to be a senior in HS this upcoming school year. Youngest son will be 4yo in October.

Now that is out of the way I have found myself drawn to the water and sailing very recently. I have no way of explaining it rationally. I have heard of people having a calling, and thus think it may be just that but I am at a loss for a rational explanation to this point.

I am a working man. I’ve worked in a few different industries since HS graduation. Never went to college full-time. Just out of HS joined the US Navy where I DID NOT step foot on a ship. Entirely land based for 5 ½ years of service. Worked in a couple of manufacturing positions after my exit from the Navy, and am currently employed in a retail environment dealing with automobiles.

Lately though I think I’m going through some sort of mental change. I’ve always wanted to acquire the finer things in life. Nice cars, have my own business, big house, etc. Never been able to reach success in acquiring that lifestyle. I live in a moderate size home and the wife has a nice car to drive. But I’m not happy. My mindset has changed from wanting the big and expensive to now relishing a very simple life. I would love to have a liveaboard style of life.

We have the unique ability to be able to save what I would call a considerable amount of money for the next couple years. I estimate we will be able to save enough to purchase a large enough vessel for a liveaboard situation. Conceivably we would purchase said vessel where we would be living. Probably not in the PNW as my (our) family live in the CA Bay Area.

So what to do? Either I need some encouragement or someone to hit me upside the head and tell me I’m crazy (probably wouldn’t be that far off on diagnosis). I think my SO is going to smack me anyways.

Other than that I’m happy to be here.

-David
Brass Handles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 13:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The Wind Has Changed Direction

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

Being crazy is no reason to not carry on.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 13:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

David hi and welcome to CF.

Well if you want someone to tell you then I will, I think you are barking mad and dare I say having a mid life crisis. So rather than buy a motor bike (been there) or 2 seater sports car, can I suggest the following? Carry on living at home and doing the day job saving up consider a small cruiser for sailing weekends away with the wife and your youngest. 25 - 30 feet will be fine after some sailing lessons etc. Oh and join the nearest yacht club, they really do want members and are really friendly.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 14:03   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Nothing wrong with a mid life crisis, I've been in one for 20+ years and expect another 20 or so to go to get over it.

Go down to the local marina and catch some sail rides. Then you will be in a better position to decide on whether the slap up the side of the head is in order.

Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2011, 14:20   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Handles View Post
***FORUM DISCLAIMER – IF YOU DON’T LIKE TO READ ABOUT A MIDDLE AGED MALE BABBLING ABOUT NOTHING PLEASE MOVE ALONG – THERE IS NOTHING FOR YOU TO SEE HERE J ****

So what to do? Either I need some encouragement or someone to hit me upside the head and tell me I’m crazy (probably wouldn’t be that far off on diagnosis). I think my SO is going to smack me anyways.

Other than that I’m happy to be here.

-David
Yes you are crazy. welcome to the asylum. we have a lot more fun than the muggles Read Sailing for Dummies. Pick up an inexpensive little boat - a sailing dink and go sail. Then get a bigger boat.

"My wife said IF I go sailing ONE MORE TIME she will leave me."
Gee I kinda miss her
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 14:33   #6

Boat: Pearson 281

Welcome David
1) Stay crazy
2) be patient
3) try it out, eventualy at least overnight. get a tase for the milk before you buy the whole cow.
4) to bastardize a scuba saying...plan for the leap and leap to the plan
5) mind your spending

No better jumping in spot than S.F. Bay. The Bay will make a sailor of you (especially if you can crew for some racing) and no more pleasant Cali taste of island hopping and season of cruising practice than the Channel Islands and Catalina just downwind of S.F.

Best of luck with a new begining. If you put it together right it will be a wonderful new life. If you screw the pooch it will be a slice of hell.
here's to the former!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 21:32   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum David
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 21:39   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Crazy is different than the majority of other people.
You're not crazy here, welcome.
We're not crazy, they're the ones that are crazy.
Slave your whole life for a week's vacation a year and maybe get to retire after your body is worn out so that the company's investors and the tax man can profit? THAT'S CRAZY!
Old 11-08-2011, 22:03   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. Now, how could you have stayed ashore for 5 1/2 years in the Navy? I've known a few intel types that did it and maybe a few admin types but it is highly unusual.
At any rate, I don't think you are any more crazy than the rest of us and we all started with a dream. Some of us had the dream earlier in life but there are more folks that just take up sailing in their 50s and 60s.
Good luck and if you have specific questions, fire away.
kind regards,
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Now, how could you have stayed ashore for 5 1/2 years in the Navy? I've known a few intel types that did it and maybe a few admin types but it is highly unusual.

This is off track, but I spend 11 years in the Navy and only did 3 years of sea duty and I was in engineering. Guy at work retired as a Commander and never spent a day at sea. Nt really all that unusual.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:22   #11

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Welcome!!!

We all get into sailing and cruising for any number of reasons. Yours are not crazy by the standards of the band of misfits that make up this fine board.

You've already gotten some good advice here.... Start with a smaller boat and work your way up....
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. Now, how could you have stayed ashore for 5 1/2 years in the Navy? I've known a few intel types that did it and maybe a few admin types but it is highly unusual.
At war, only 1 in 7 military members see combat.
There is a lot more to the Navy than just boats. They also have planes and buildings and trucks and broadcast stations and lawns and restrooms and shops and houses that all need to be designed and built and maintained and moved and accounted for.
How many people do you suppose it takes to do the Navy's paperwork? If it's like any other government agency there are a lot of people just doing paperwork.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41   #13

Boat: Alura 30

David it looks like you have become a wise man!
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's relatively easy to afford a boat you cannot really live on but can get you out on the water for your sailing fix.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52   #15

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM

Certifiably nuts and better for it! Welcome to the club. My son and I sailed together first on a small boat and later a larger boat. My wife has warmed to the idea and either joins in on short sails (bigger boat) or acts as shore crew and meets us wherever. As I result my son, now in college, is an excellent sailor, much better than I. Hopefully your family will embrace the adventure. Enjoy the ride.

Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote