Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 12:37   #1

Utter Newbie

Seriously my newbieness may be unparalleled, my only experience of water born craft was a pedelo when I was twelve

Always have had a fascination with boats, many an hour spent longingly gazing at pics and specs of various craft, but always thought it was the territory of billionaires. But I'm overjoyed to say it's starting to look feasible in the not too distant future.

I've a huge amount to learn, but this forum and its members (other sites too) are proving invaluable, when something gets my interest my brain just seems to soak it up, I know most of it is experience that's the next step

For me the freedom aspect is really drawing me in, flew light aircraft for some time, quickly dawned on me that is not real freedom (three things that can't be taxed on this planet, the sun the sea and the wind) but hey taught me allot about aerodynamics so that may be useful.

I,ve even set up another monitor so as to quickly reference the nautical terminology ect, literally a new language, but I'll get it!

I'm from the Uk, one of the middle bits with no blooming water, I'm 35 hope i haven't left it too late!

Been lurking for a while just thought I'd introduce myself, won't be posting much as A: i know nothing yet B: better off absorbing you good peoples tips and experience.

Fair winds
Lost
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:09   #2

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
We were all total n00bs at one time....

Welcome to the board! If you wish to ask questions and learn from some of the most opinionated, obnoxious.......er I mean experienced, helpful and friendly sailors, you came to the right place!

Bow=front, Stern=rear, Starboard=right,Port=left
as perceived by a person on board facing the bow

Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So once you were "Lost"...but now your found....
Welcome to Cruisers forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:45   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, truly means allot

"opinionated, obnoxious.......er I mean experienced" That made me chuckle Surveyor.

"So once you were "Lost"...but now your found.... " Not found exacly but i feel i've at least got a rudder now James

"Bow=front, Stern=rear, Starboard=right,Port=left"
reminds me of the first thing my flight instructor said.
"It's easy pull back, houses get small push forward houses get big"

Once again thanks guys
Old 23-08-2010, 17:38   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome, pilots are natural sailors so you will learn quick I bet. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Erika
Old 23-08-2010, 17:52   #6

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Welcome aboard Lost,

At only 35yo you have a lifetime of boating ahead of you and with the attention to detail and safety awareness that your flying will have given you you will take to it like a duck to water.

I loved your recollection of what your flying instructir told you about the houses getting bigger and smaller - it sure had the desired effect as it has stuck in your mind!

Boats are a little more forgiving especially if the engine stops but it depends on what you situation is at the time but I'd rather be in a boat floating on the water than in the air when this happened.

All the best,

Steve
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 18:56   #7

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Being a pilot you'll have a good working knowledge of weather and navigation. The basics of sailing can be picked up in a dinghy course then it's just a matter of getting practice on the water. As to age - I've got an uncle well into his 80's, in poor health, who sails the west coast of Scotland every year. The whiskey helps numb the aches & pains no doubt!!

Welcome to CF and the world o' sailing!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 19:04   #8

Bingo. The boat goes for the same reason the plane does. Spend a few weeks in a sailing dingny. You'll get it quick. And welcome.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 19:07   #9

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
As the story goes, after Adm. Nimitz died, his personal belongs were being gathered, and among them was a small leather-bound volume he had always carried with him since he was a midshipman. Inside the volume, on the left page was printed in large letters, Port, and on the right page, Starboard.

35 years old. Haha, I laugh at your wealth of youthfulness. You are at a perfect age to go to sea. I'm finally going at 64. See you out there if you hurry up a bit.
Old 23-08-2010, 20:01   #10

Boat: 1974 Ray Greene Rascal II
Keep walking toward the light!

IMHO, In My Humble Opinion,
Get a small boat to start your journey. Something you can transport easily to nearby lakes or bays when you have time. Don't worry about racing yet. Concentrate on just getting from A to B and back to A without getting wet or hurting yourself. Expect to get wet. It may happen unexpectedly so wear your Personal Flotation Device (life jacket). Take a course. They can be a lot of fun and you can get to try someone else's boat. Read and look thru catalogs. Sailor-speak can be hard to understand at first.
Old 24-08-2010, 15:17   #11

Awww you folks are great

Thanks for the positive responses and advice.

Erika, Thanks I hope your right I'd take you up on the bet but I'm no gambler which all things considered is probably a good thing.

Bob, I fully expect to get wet it doesn't phase me, i live in the UK I get wet most days The PFD is a given I'd be daft not to, if it gets rough i'd also want to be clipped on in some way. I am looking at courses, the nearest place to me is the Humber estuary seems to have a varety of outfits offering different courses. As for trying someone else's boat that does appeal to me (not because the boat won't matter to me) but the owner isn't gonna let me make mistakes and if necessary will give me a slap and show me how it should be done. Hell i'd vollenteer for rail meat just for the experience. Sailor speak I'm getting it slowly but surely, Thanks.

muskoka, "I've got an uncle well into his 80's, in poor health, who sails the west coast of Scotland every year" Wow, just wow he's the man, that's so encouraging, "The whiskey helps numb the aches & pains no doubt!!" don't give me ideas

Drew "The boat goes for the same reason the plane does" That's what I was thinking, but without the forced use of highly taxed avgas, not to mention the avparts.

speakeasy, That's a good one about Chester N, never heard that before. 64...pffft I'll pull my finger out, I'll catch ya!

Ozbullwinkle "At only 35yo you have a lifetime of boating ahead of you" thanks that's exactly what i wanted to hear "Boats are a little more forgiving especially if the engine stops" yeah i'm with you there, constantly looking for a big flat field (without power lines) just in case, seems to ruin the freedom aspect. As for the instructor anecdotes that's the least of em, but I've rambled enough for now,

I'm off to buy some books to continue my self education, like to have some knowledge before I dip a toe in any water (bad pun intended) call it overcoursios if ya want, i call it prudence!!

Once again thank you all for the warm reception and advice.

Fair winds
Paul aka lost
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard,
Good to have you here and the forum is always open to questions except, "What's the best anchor?" and "Monohull or Catamaran?" or "What's the best boat for me?"
Look at some of the links behind my signature line and the book recommendation and for someone who has not been sailing then I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!" if you can find it there.
There is a search engine there after my signature too and if you have a cruising or sailing question just type a keyword.
kind regards,
Old 01-09-2010, 21:49   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Seriously my newbieness may be unparalleled, my only experience of water born craft was a pedelo when I was twelve
You are way ahead of me - I don't even know what a pedalo is.

Welcome to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
"It's easy pull back, houses get small push forward houses get big"
And of course - Pull back real far and the houses get big again, real, real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Bingo. The boat goes for the same reason the plane does. Spend a few weeks in a sailing dingny. You'll get it quick. And welcome.
Yes the common fuel is money.

Last I checked...

$1,000 = 1 boat buck = 1 plane buck...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 21:59   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
familiar sensations?

When I took a glider lesson some 45 years ago, the instructor seemed impressed, asking if I'd flown a glider before. No, but I'd done some sailing. So, it seems there is a lot of cross-over between flying and sailing, particularly in regards to "seat-of-the-pants" and tiller/stick sensations.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 22:13   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Welcome, pilots are natural sailors so you will learn quick I bet. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Erika
As she says, your half way there. You know aerodynamics and had to take navigation courses. So you've got the basics for a sailor.

The rest is getting out there and get the experience. Even if it's on a small trailersailer. Then you can move up with time, just like on aircraft.